Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your yearly budget for Travel (domestic & international)?
$0 - $5,000 per year 18 17.65%
$5,000 - $10,000 per year 13 12.75%
$10,000 - $15,000 per year 12 11.76%
$15,000 - $20,000 per year 16 15.69%
$20,000 - $30,000 per year 17 16.67%
$30,000 - $50,000 per year 17 16.67%
above $50,000 per year 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Do you have a yearly Travel Budget during retirement?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:Do you have a yearly Travel Budget during retirement?

I thought I'd do a poll on how much people spend on travel on a yearly basis when retired. I was trying to do a budget when I retire next year, and wonder how other travel lovers splurge on travel. I'm looking at around $10k-$11K initially.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 01:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I thought I'd do a poll on how much people spend on travel on a yearly basis when retired. I was trying to do a budget when I retire next year, and wonder how other travel lovers splurge on travel. I'm looking at around $10k-$11K initially.
Pre-Covid I was spending $40k-50k a year (family of four, 2 kids), usually 2 international trips (2-3 weeks in duration) + 2 domestic trips (less than a week).

No travel in 2020 and 2021 so $0.

With Covid in the rear-view mirror, we plan to ramp up traveling to make up for lost time. This year we're taking 2 international trips---4 weeks in UK/France in summer and 3.5 weeks in Australia at end of year. I spent $40k for the UK/France trip and a big part of the cost was airfare; it's just much more expensive to fly now. We usually travel biz class or buy premium econ and try to upgrade with points/mileage. I expect to spend the same amount for the Australia trip, so I figure around $80k this year for traveling.

I plan on doing the same (2 big trips a year) for the next couple of years until kids go to college. So I figure around $80k/year in 2023 and 2024.

Once kids go to college in 2025, I will have a lot more free time to travel, so I plan to do multiple solo trips to mountain biking destinations such as Australia, Peru, Canada, Switzerland, etc. I figure 2-3 such trips a year + 2 big trips with family, so I expect to spend up to $150k a year for traveling. Hopefully I'll be able to do this for at least another decade before age slows me down. I don't really spend money on anything else, so traveling is my thing for BTD.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #3
Administrator

We used to spend well over $20k/year on travel pre-Covid and had planned a long trip to the USA next year but our daughter is now moving back here to England so it looks like our travel spend is going to be in the range $5-$10k going forward with a very occasional trip to Australia to visit my brother and other family members. (She and her Australian partner plan to retire to Adelaide in 10 to 15 years)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:31 AM   #4

We don't really have a budget. We normally camp someplace every month.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:56 AM   #5

It's more than my first RE year budget, but we have been in the $30-50K range.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$10-15K has been our standard, some years more, some less, recently almost $0.
We are planning and budgeting for a big family trip in 2024, so it will be much more.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #7

Right, if you are 4 people, you definitely spend more. It's just DW and me, so 2 people for us. We're looking to fly Premium economy - I guess you have to shell $4000-$5000 each person for business class to Europe.

Summer is also peak season and more expensive. DW does not like crowds, so we'll probably do off-season which is also cheaper. We did Venice, Italy and France during summer, and too much crowd for my partner.

Good luck with the trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
Pre-Covid I was spending $40k-50k a year (family of four, 2 kids), usually 2 international trips (2-3 weeks in duration) + 2 domestic trips (less than a week).

With Covid in the rear-view mirror, we plan to ramp up traveling to make up for lost time. This year we're taking 2 international trips---4 weeks in UK/France in summer and 3.5 weeks in Australia at end of year. I spent $40k for the UK/France trip and a big part of the cost was airfare; it's just much more expensive to fly now. We usually travel biz class or buy premium econ and try to upgrade with points/mileage. I expect to spend the same amount for the Australia trip, so I figure around $80k this year for traveling.

I plan on doing the same (2 big trips a year) for the next couple of years until kids go to college. So I figure around $80k/year in 2023 and 2024.

Once kids go to college in 2025, I will have a lot more free time to travel, so I plan to do multiple solo trips to mountain biking destinations such as Australia, Peru, Canada, Switzerland, etc. I figure 2-3 such trips a year + 2 big trips with family, so I expect to spend up to $150k a year for traveling. Hopefully I'll be able to do this for at least another decade before age slows me down. I don't really spend money on anything else, so traveling is my thing for BTD.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #8

We don't budget, but I try to forecast our spending in various categories over the year. Some years are BTD for a cruise or long foreign travel, others are relatively tame. Trying to stay in a fixed band for such a discretionary spending item wouldn't work for us.

Here is our Travel & Hobby spending for the last 15 years. The jump at 2013 is when DW joined me in retirement.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 3.47.23 PM.png (117.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #9

Given that we hate travel our travel budget is usually in the hundreds of dollars annually and those trips are usually for medical stuff. Occasionally we'll go one or two states away to see relatives for major gatherings but not often.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
$10-15K has been our standard, some years more, some less, recently almost $0.
We are planning and budgeting for a big family trip in 2024, so it will be much more.
This is the budget I was thinking too, base on my calculations.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Right, if you are 4 people, you definitely spend more. It's just DW and me, so 2 people for us. We're looking to fly Premium economy - I guess you have to shell $4000-$5000 each person for business class to Europe.

Summer is also peak season and more expensive. DW does not like crowds, so we'll probably do off-season which is also cheaper. We did Venice, Italy and France during summer, and too much crowd for my partner.

Good luck with the trips.
Thanks cyber888. Happy travels to you as well.

The airfare is the killer in our travel budget for sure. Unfortunately, our 2 kids are still in school so we can only travel during high seasons (summer and Xmas/NY) when airfare is much more expensive.

Before Covid we were able to defray a lot of the airfare costs through frequent flier miles/points so our trips were cheaper, but a lot of those expired during 2 years of Covid shutdown, so we're now forced to shell out much more than before. For our summer trip this year, 40% of the $40k spent were for airfare.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As part of retirement planning, we estimated $20K/year travel (to be increased by inflation) and included that in our retirement expenses. This was more driven by having multiple children living overseas, where our major travel costs would be visiting them.

We hit that amount in 2019, but then the pandemic came and only only child and family current live overseas, so we have not come close to that annual amount since then. We likely will spend less, but it will not bother us to spend $20K (or more) annually if the situation calls for it.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Around 16k budget for the two of us and yes I budget all major expense categories.
We include family visits in this category too.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:03 PM   #14

When the kids were pre-college we only did international travel every 4 years - because airfare for 4 was prohibitive. That said - we took them on a 9 week adventure in 7 countries the year after I retired. And they've been travelling interntationally since toddlers... every 4 years.

As of last september (2021) the youngest is in college. We tried to travel internationally this past spring with a transatlantic cruise and some travel in Europe... But the cruise ship canceled citing covid... So covid saved us some money. Covid also saved us money when I was willing to prepay our upcoming Machu Picchu/Galapagos trip last fall and saved about $3k/person on the tour.

Our plan is about $20k/year - with approx $2k of that being camping in the scooby van, and the rest for bigger trips.

This is now for 2 people. Not limited by school schedules. Much more doable.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This is now for 2 people. Not limited by school schedules. Much more doable.
Both my ex-wife and my current partner were/are teachers. I have never had more than a few days vacation that were not during school breaks. I'm not complaining but I am looking forward to the flexibility of visiting places at other times of the year.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post

Where are you going in Australia? We are thinking of a trip late this year and are working on an itinerary for a 2-month stay.

We budgeted around $40-$45K per year on travel but it has varied a lot between COVID shutdowns and our health issues this year. Ramping up for 2023 though!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

IF you are planning a longer stay in Australia you might want to sign up for, or keep current with Jetstar Australia sales and specials.

Last time we were in Australia our friends gave us a head up on low air prices to Tasmania.

We flew into Hobart from Brisbane and back to Sydney from Launceston a week or so later. Both were very inexpensive flights. Less than $50 AUD as I recall. We really enjoyed driving around Tasmania. It is very different.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Other travel lovers? Sorry, like some others here, I do not love travel. Never have, never will, quite the opposite. I have had to travel quite extensively/constantly throughout my childhood and working years, due to life's exigencies, and this was enough to learn that I utterly despise travel. I spend as little as possible on travel as possible. $0/year if I can manage that (hurricanes sometime dictate otherwise).

We actually love where we live and have arranged an ideal (and idyllic) life for ourselves here in this fascinating city, so we see no sane reason for us to want to leave. If I'm going to splurge, I guarantee it will not be on travel.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When I was married we spent between 5-14/k year. This year I spent 5k on a trip to Ireland and in 2024 will go to Paris with a friend. After that I am probably done due to finances.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We start the year at $25,000 and add to that with any income we make doing our little side gigs. That can add another $10-15k.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote