poll:How many countries have you visited?

How many countries have you visited?

• 1 Country

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 2 to 5 Countries

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • 6 to 10 Countries

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • 11 to 20 Countries

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • 21 to 30 Countries

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • 31 to 40 Countries

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • 41 to 50 Countries

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • 51 to 60 Countries

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 61 to 70 Countries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 to 80 Countries

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 81 to 90 Countries

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 91 to 100 Countries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 101 or more Countries

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
The "Anyone got any travel planned" thread has a discussion about the number of countries we have visited, so I thought that a poll might be a good idea.

I made a spreadsheet that you can view and you can also save as your own, blank out my counts and insert your own.

Suggested ground rules:

• Use the list from travelers century club (or the spreadsheet...same thing).
  • Count it even if you never left the airport or got off the ship (TCC rules).
Comments might include the most obscure places. Or a places that you "got to count twice", or a place you went that wasn't on the list and you "got ripped off".

And also if you think you'll add much to the total. Or would you rather go back to places that are ticked, but that you feel there's more for you to get there.

Last edited:
jUst did a quick count and we are at 20.

I have 47.

I took 2 for the Palmer Peninsula because Chile and Argentina both claim it.

Snagged Portugal since I got off a cruise ship and walked around Porto Santo for a few hours. Quite a few Caribbean islands...same thing.

I didn't count Argentina, even though I've been many hours in Buenos Aires, I never left the airport. Same with Reykjavík.

The weirdest one was "Line/Phoenix Islands", which includes Fanning Island (supposedly where the lagoon in the opening scene of Gilligan's Island was shot).

I got a legit "two-fer" with St. Martin and St. Maarten, but might have a non-legit "two-fer" with Israel and Palestine. But West Bank wasn't in the list.

EDIT: Based on TCC rules, I get to count Argentina and Iceland, so I'm up to 49!

Last edited:
I took 2 for the Palmer Peninsula because Chile and Argentina both claim it.

I didn't count Argentina, even though I've been many hours in Buenos Aires, I never left the airport. Same with Reykjavík.

I guess you did count Argentina after all?

Was never sure about counting Haiti, from a stop on a cruise at Labadee, but I guess even though that's a private resort and you can't go off resort, it still is Haiti.

I guess you did count Argentina after all?
Argentina's chunk of Antarctica is a separate item in the TCC list, so I could get both. In fact, I just did an edit that credited Argentina because the TCC rules apparently allow you to count somewhere where you didn't even get out of the airport.

Your visit to Haiti would certainly count!!

All 50 states but only 23 countries. Just got Australia in June.

Somewhere above 50. Not intending to go much higher.

Easier for me being in Europe also, if I don't pay attention driving I'm in a different country pretty fast ..

That was fun, I've been to at least 23, probably a few more when I was very young with my parents.

26. Too lazy to count, so I took my total from an older thread asking the same question (here) and added my travel since then.

Last edited:
Besides the countries, I realized about eight years ago that I had been to 49 of the 50 states. For some reason I had never made it to Montana. So I set up a trip and drove from Ohio out to Glacier NP. Wonderful trip and well worthwhile.

Unfortunately, I'm sadly lacking in my Canadian travel. Never been to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT, Yukon, or Nunavut. Sometime in the next few years I've promised myself to get up there and rectify the situation.

The travel industry would go broke if it depended on me.

Same here.

I've been to Canada, but just in the Niagra Falls area. My mother was originally from Buffalo, NY and had a lot of relatives there that we visited about once a year. I haven't been to Buffalo since high school - I was always working.

On the honeymoon with who was to later become my ex, we went to the Virgin Islands (staying on St. Thomas but visited a couple of others) and had a stop each way in Puerto Rico.

A highlight of the trip for me was the return flight to Puerto Rico. It was on a Caribe Airlines (I think that was the name) Douglas DC-3 airliner.

I got 82 from a couple rough counts yesterday...didn't bother to recount today.

I counted 23. Interesting note that 21 were visited before age of 35, courtesy of the Dept of Defense. Only added Alaska (last month) and Caribbean island in last 30 years.

Rough count of 41. I think the missus is up to about 45 because of her Baltic cruise.

it's kind of a more interesting exercise because it somewhat takes into account diverse places than simply a country as a whole.

Thanks for the list. According to their rules, I've got 38.

A fellow traveler on my recent Peru trip said his goal is to visit all 50 states and 50 countries. I've been to 46 states, so it's not out of the question that I could also do this, but no plans at this point.

When I did the count (without the spreadsheet) my number was a lot lower... The spreadsheet did two things - reminded me of some countries I'd transited through (Taiwan, Belgium) and broke out some "countries" that aren't separate countries at all... I got 6 extra "countries" for the following:

Hawaii
Okinawa
Gibralter
Sicily
Wales
Scotland

My total is now 31.

I answered 31-40 because I thought my real count was 40. However, by the TCC list & rules (some of which I think are extremely questionable), I counted 52. With the TCC list & rules, I could add Iceland & Japan due to the airport rule. In addition to the USA and Canada, TCC says I can add Alaska, Hawaii, & Prince Edward Island. (Bizarrely, if I had been to Newfoundland, TCC says I can't include that, even though it's a helluva lot easier to get to PEI than to Newfoundland or Labrador! TCC rules say I can count Scotland, Wales, England, Guernsey, & Jersey as 5 countries, whereas I think they should only count as one country--for now. I also included Guatemala in my 52 TCC country count because I walked from Mexico into Guatemala with the permission of Mexican soldiers to a souvenir shack in Guatemala, then back into Mexico 10 minutes later. It was not an official border crossing, however. And finally, I forgot to include Monaco. So my own count should have been 41.

There is also the matter of changed countries and occupied areas. I was in Czechoslovakia when it was one country. I was in the Sinai peninsula (Egypt) when it was occupied by Israel. And like others here, I was in Palestine/West Bank.

TCC rule #5 states the following:

5. Disputed Status: Geographically defined areas which have historically had an independent identity and whose current political status is the subject of dispute shall be counted as separate territories.

That tells me I should include Egypt and Palestine/West Bank, which I did in my lower count.

It would be interesting to see country totals if Europe & Caribbean islands/countries are excluded. Of my 52 countries under TCC rules, 26 are neither in Europe nor islands in the Caribbean.

That was fun. I hit 56.

For me, Europe/Med=15, Africa=14, Asia=11, and Pacific=6, leaving all the Americas, Caribbean, Atlantic, and Middle East to only total 10. Guess I need to travel closer to home (California) if I want to boost my numbers.

Most remote locations on my list might be Baidoa (Somalia), Maradi (Niger), El Obeid (Sudan), Dire Dawa (Ethiopia), or probably Niuatoputapu (Tonga)

31, but Navy time lets me claim a lot of "countries" (read: islands in the middle of nowhere) on this that I don't get to claim on your everyday Facebook survey!

Only three more continents to go!

Only 14 or so for me (which is how I voted), but DW has been a travel fiend her whole life and has been to at least high 30s, maybe 40-something.

Back
Top Bottom