Join Early Retirement Today

Protests against Tourists in Barcelona
Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Protests against Tourists in Barcelona

It appears some groups are targeting tourists and tourist related services/shops.

I do wonder if it will be less safe depending upon "Catalonia’s long-awaited and bitterly controversial referendum on independence from Spain is due to be held on October 1, with the announcement triggering political and judicial showdowns between Barcelona and Madrid."

Spain’s anti-tourism riots - violent clans MERGE to target Barcelona | World | News | Express.co.uk

Would Catalonia and Spain actually end up in a civil war for separation ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

The last time we were in Barcelona, (or perhaps it was the time before), there was a huge pro-unity rally......next time, ¿Quién sabe?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There has been a recent push against mass tourism in several European cities (including Barcelona, Prague, and Venice) on the count that it changes the character of those cities and makes them less affordable for the locals. I can't say that I disagree with that sentiment.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

In many European cities and especially along the Mediterranean, tourism is all there is for citizen's livelihoods.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I get the impression that it is supporting the traditional way of life in many areas plus providing employment for a huge amount of young people.

It's a double-edged sword of course.

Barcelona is so crowded with tourists I can understand the frustration. A lot of tourism there is also of the stag/hen party variety. Maybe not so culture oriented. But they still have loads of tourists interested in culture.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There is also a distinct possibility that the primary objective, of those orchestrating/sponsoring/funding the protests, has nothing to do with 'culture' but everything to do with subverting the political system.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be safer to run with the bulls.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

When we were in Barcelona in 2016, I recall seeing banners on some apartment buildings saying No Tourists. We stayed in an airbnb type apartment just outside of the heavy tourist area. Thinking about it, I understand the sentiment. I would not be thrilled if the house next door was converted to an airbnb type lodging. I don't think the constant turnover of tenants would be good for my neighborhood.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
When we were in Barcelona in 2016, I recall seeing banners on some apartment buildings saying No Tourists. We stayed in an airbnb type apartment just outside of the heavy tourist area. Thinking about it, I understand the sentiment. I would not be thrilled if the house next door was converted to an airbnb type lodging. I don't think the constant turnover of tenants would be good for my neighborhood.
This is why Airbnb is largely illegal in NYC
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #10

Heavily regulated in Philadelphia. They came down really hard a few years ago when the pope came to town and then the DNC.

Many of even single family homes have HOA's (including mine) that really restrict what they call short term rentals.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
My wife and I began our TA Cruise in the fall of 2014 in Barcelona. We spent three days around the city prior to embarking on the cruise. During our visit, we took a long stroll up toward the National Art Museum and toward the stadium and fort at the top of the hill. Well, when we arrived at the stadium, there was a lot of commotion and we found out that they were have peaceful protests for their independence in Catalonia.

Anyway, the folks seemed to be quite civil and it was geared toward families. Actually, the justification is that the Catalonians do not want to be responsible for the debt and the policies of the existing government.

One of my favorite cities and if you have a chance to visit Gaudi Parc or the Sagrada Familia - its definitely "chow" from a tourist perspective.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

I would not visit a city that was having protests, in Europe or the USA.. You never know when the latest crackpot will take further action.

If a city/country is having protests, you can bet it is not a safer place to be than a city without protests. A protester could get you, a cop who thought you were protesting could get you, a non-protester with sympathetic tendencies could lead you astray.

You still may be safe, but not as safe as a place without protests.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
You catch more flies with honey
Old 09-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #13

You catch more flies with honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I would not visit a city that was having protests, in Europe or the USA.
Roger that. If they don't want me there, why would I want to visit them? I can stay home and spend my vacation bucks at places that welcome me.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
If they don't want me there, why would I want to visit them? .
But what constitutes 'they'? There are 1.6 million people in the Barcelona area, many of whom are dependent upon, and welcome, the tourist industry.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Roger that. If they don't want me there, why would I want to visit them? I can stay home and spend my vacation bucks at places that welcome me.
+1.

I had enough "excitement" in an army career that spanned almost 30 years. Not going anywhere that is ground zero for protests, etc. Also, too many riots are now called protests. F*** that.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
But what constitutes 'they'? There are 1.6 million people in the Barcelona area, many of whom are dependent upon, and welcome, the tourist industry.
If 'they' are enough to make the news, it's probably too many...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I would not visit a city that was having protests, in Europe or the USA.. You never know when the latest crackpot will take further action.

If a city/country is having protests, you can bet it is not a safer place to be than a city without protests. A protester could get you, a cop who thought you were protesting could get you, a non-protester with sympathetic tendencies could lead you astray.

You still may be safe, but not as safe as a place without protests.
While I agree, the big issue is for many tourists, one has to line up the plans, make reservations, book things many months in advance.

So it's a little worrisome months after getting everything lined up, to hear about this stuff happening.

Maybe by the time we travel, it will be all settled, and we will be visiting the new Country of Catalonia instead of Spain. I wonder if we will need a visa
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The situation there could become pretty dire. If I was a tourist, I'd put off Barcelona and go to another part of the world this year.

My son-in-law is Catalan. Although he has lived in the US for a couple of decades, his elderly parents still live in a small village near Barcelona. Given that situation, the struggles for and against independence there are a bit unnerving for us. I sure hope things do not deteriorate any further back there, and that whatever happens, can happen relatively peacefully. I fear that may not be the case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
"They" comprise whatever number* of sufficiently agitated malcontents it takes for me to decide it's too much trouble to risk Barcelona. When I go on vacation, the last thing I want to deal with is other people's acrimony.

There may well be 1.5999 million friendly people in Barcelona who depend on tourism. But if the others want to bite the hand that feeds them, that's their problem, not mine. There are plenty of other places to visit that don't feature violent head cases attacking visitors.

* I don't know precisely what that number is, but rest assured they've reached it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
* I don't know precisely what that number is, but rest assured they've reached it.
I'd be more concerned about those who drive vans up Las Ramblas deliberately killing people......(was there a thread about that?)

Tags
barcelona, catalonia, riots, spain, tourist