Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Questions about travelling in Switzerland.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Questions about travelling in Switzerland.

Plan to spend 7 to 10 days in Switzerland and Austria early April.
1. Is it better to stay in one hotel in Bern (use it as a base) and catch the train to all other cities and back to the same hotel at night or drag the luggages on to the train to other cities and stay in different hotels?

2. What is the weather like in early April?

3. Any suggested hotel(s) both in Switzerland and Austria?

4. Any other advices.

Thanks,
mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Plan to spend 7 to 10 days in Switzerland and Austria early April.
1. Is it better to stay in one hotel in Bern (use it as a base) and catch the train to all other cities and back to the same hotel at night or drag the luggages on to the train to other cities and stay in different hotels?

2. What is the weather like in early April?

3. Any suggested hotel(s) both in Switzerland and Austria?

4. Any other advices.

Thanks,
mP
I would use bern as a base if it was me. I stayed in zurich and used it as a base for going to austria, germany, france, italy. Everything is closed to switzerland. Bern is almost in the middle. Weather might be a little bit cold but not bad. It start of spring.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4. cheer up your screen name.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #4

Quote:
4. Any other advices.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lived in Germany for several years and traveled around a lot and the best places to stay in my opinion are in the locals residences. If you drive around the small towns (and big cities) in Germany, Switzerland and Austria look for little signs outside peoples private houses that say "Zimmer Frei." That means they have a room(s) for rent. The price almost always will include breakfast and the prices are cheaper than a hotel or large guest house.

One example was a farmhouse in rural Austria (outside Innsbruck) where I stopped. Very friendly older couple, kids grown and out of the house. I had a clean room, private bath with a balcony and a view of the Alps. I walked down to the village pub for a few beers that evening and the barman/owner took a liking to me (I speak German) and offered me his special 100 year old schnapps on the house and we sipped that stuff while he told me all about his bar and village until the wee hours. Somehow I found my way back to the farmhouse for a few hours sleep and in the morning I was served a hearty breakfast including super fresh milk and eggs from the couples farm.

I don't recall the price, but it was way cheaper than any hotel and the experience was priceless.

That's just one of many great stories I could tell staying at peoples houses in the region.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
Thanks for noticing and a good advice. Somehow I am unable to appreciate how blessed I am, still struggle with it. It's all about expectations that have not been achieved and knowing that time is running out.

mP
Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for noticing and a good advice. Somehow I am unable to appreciate how blessed I am, still struggle with it. It's all about expectations that have not been achieved and knowing that time is running out.

mP
forget switzerland. head to bangladesh instead.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are going to both Switzerland and Austria, it doesn't make sense to stay the whole time in Bern, you should instead pick a homebase in Austria for that part of your trip. Also, as far as picking a homebase, consider whether you want to be in the mountains or in the city. The big attraction of that part of the world is the Alps. Swiss cities are fine, but they are just afterthoughts compared to the mountains, they aren't great destinations in their own right like Paris or London.

At the very least, consider splitting your trip into roughly three days in Bern, three days in one of the mountainous regions in Switzerland, and three days in Austria. As long as you pack light (maximum of one carryon size bag + a backpack each), moving your homebase a couple of times on your trip is not as much hassle as you would think. IMHO that's much better than taking a long train trip back and forth every day from Bern to some other place.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your suggestions. I am still working on my intinerary. Definitely will have to spend one day in Basel at the Watch show (Basel World - Apr 3 to Apr 10), and also one afternoon in Geneva (A watch museum). Possibly will base in Bern for three days, then possibly Zurich for three days and the rest in Austria (possibly in Austria). Unfortunately, would love to see Vienna but may not make it.

mP