Quick Trip to New Orleans

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are travelling this Christmas and have decided to spend a few days in New Orleans and take advantage of the great weather.

We will arrive either New Year's Eve or more likely New Year's Day.

Love to have some suggestions from seasoned travellers and locals of places to stay (French Quarter or nearby) and recommend restaurants or sights.

We have been there before but my last visit was 2012 and my wife was last there in 1998 New Year's Eve.

We are not on a particular budget but we are value oriented and tend to prefer low-key eating spots that locals enjoy.

Thanks for your help. All ideas welcome.

For sure go see the WW2 Museum, used to be called the D-Day Museum (may still be?)

Get Gumbo at B Sweet Bistro & Bakery, 704 North Rampart

As to Hotels, we have stayed in quite a few of the old "Boutique" B&B's and Hotels in the French Quarter. Enjoyed them all, and each one was unique in its own way
ms gamboolgal really enjoyed staying at the Dauphine in a Suite.

The Death Museum was surprisingly good. Had a lot about Murderers...

We enjoy walking the French Quarter and eating at the Local Cafe's and Bars.

If you have never been, Commanders Palace and Galatoires are Classics

I like getting Po Boys from places like Maspero's and others.

If you've never done it, going out for dinner on one of the River Boats is fun.

When walking the French Quarter - be aware of the Bums and Pan Handlers - and be prepared to fend them off. Use good situational awareness and don't get out of the Quarter.
You can also use the Pedal Cabs late at night or a Cab.

I play the Pokerszzz alot and do recommend the games at Harrahs.... For sure do recommend using a Pedal Cab or Taxi when leaving very late at night to return to the Hotel.

Lots of shopping for unique doodads from New Orleans is fun to do also.

The Ghost Tours are fun as well as a the old Graveyard tours...

Ride some of the Street Cars

Enjoy the Quarter - but do use common sense to keep yourself safe.

We will be there on 3-Jan-23 as we are stopping off for a night on our way to Biloxi for the Million Dollar Heater Pokersszzz tournament at the Beau Rivage.

A little out of town but I really enjoyed the tour of https://www.lauraplantation.com/. If you enjoy history, you may want to check it out. Quite a bit of the slave quarters still exist (and were lived in long after emancipation by the former slaves that sadly were still stuck there). Grew up in the south so have visited multiple plantations across various states but this was a bit different as it was Creole run and probably my favorite. It was a while ago that I went but the docent giving the tour was excellent.

I was in New Orleans about 5 years ago to visit friends. We were surprised to discover that none of the six restaurants we dined in accepted credit cards. Might be a good idea to bring plenty of cash or be sure you have a way to get cash.

I grew up 70 miles from New Orleans and have visited many times. Agree that boutique hotels in the French Quarter are my favorite. If you don’t want to stay in the Quarter, the Garden District is really nice.

Commander’s Palace is excellent. It’s probably booked by now. My favorite meal there is Sunday brunch. They have live jazz musicians and it’s a bit less expensive than dinner.

W2R is probably one of the best sources for “locals” recommendations. We love Acme Oyster House and The Gumbo Shop. I like to ask the hotel bellman or the housekeeper for recommendations rather than the concierge. Cafe du Monde is a must for beignets and chicory coffee. Aunt Sally’s is right down the street and has amazing pralines.

Enjoy! New Orleans is a very fun place to celebrate New Year’s Eve!

I grew up 70 miles from New Orleans and have visited many times. Agree that boutique hotels in the French Quarter are my favorite. If you don’t want to stay in the Quarter, the Garden District is really nice.

Commander’s Palace is excellent. It’s probably booked by now. My favorite meal there is Sunday brunch. They have live jazz musicians and it’s a bit less expensive than dinner.

W2R is probably one of the best sources for “locals” recommendations. We love Acme Oyster House and The Gumbo Shop. I like to ask the hotel bellman or the housekeeper for recommendations rather than the concierge. Cafe du Monde is a must for beignets and chicory coffee. Aunt Sally’s is right down the street and has amazing pralines.

Enjoy! New Orleans is a very fun place to celebrate New Year’s Eve!

Thanks Scuba!

Great ideas. Cafe du Monde is a definite stop. I drink the chickory coffee at home.

We should probably think about firming up a place to stay.

loads of stuff to do in and around the quarter. Lots of good suggestions on here. a few more locals Don's seafood Drago's ( charbroiled oysters ) Middendorf's . Lot's of other, more local places a little outside the quarter as well. It's food food food down here !!! Been cold hare but should be nice warmer weather when you are here. Maybe swamp tour, steamboat cruise , central grocery , cemetery tours and music everywhere
Royal Sonasta Hotel is hard to beat

Last edited:
Seems like some decent lodging options in French Quarter.

Enjoying the suggestions!

The WWII Museum is worth the time. Also, don't just stick to the French Qtr. Try to make it to City Park and the Museum there. Take the streetcar. See Tulane, etc. The streetcar goes to City Park.

If you have a car - go down to the Lakefront.

Bananas Foster at Brennan’s, “Scalibut” at GW Fins, Smoked Duck with Dirty Rice at Clancy’s - New Orleans is all about the food! Enjoy your trip!

Accommodations: considering Garden District.

Do you then trolley to French Quarter?

Ideas welcome.

Please post updates. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long while.

Well, the weather changed and we stayed away a couple of days. So it ended up being 24 hours in NO. It was fun filled. Here is what we did:

Arrived around 2 pm at hotel in Garden District.

-Walked to Jackson Square (1.4 mi I think). Although we enjoyed the walk, most people probably should take the St. Charles Streetcar-safer.
-Sightseeing in Jackson Square.
-Cafe du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait- a personal favorite
-Ghost/murder walking tour of French Quarter. Was very interesting. Recommend.
-Hurricane at Lafitte's Blacksmith bar, supposedly oldest structure used as a bar in US.
-Dinner at Gumbo Shop, Jackson Square. Good gumbo.
-Lyft back to Garden District

Next day:
-walking tour of Garden District. Saw some famous and beautiful homes of movie stars, etc. Complete eye-feast.
-Empanadas at Empanola on Magazine St.-recommend
-walked to the St. Charles Streetcar. Did our own "Trolley Tour" of the route through Garden district, downtown and to Canal Street. And back.
-got off near hotel and cruised at 2PM.

Our first time to use the streetcar. A throw-back in the best way and $1.25 per trip.

Weather was great, in the 70s. Looking forward to a longer trip next time.

Thanks for all the ideas!

wow, action packed 24 hours!
Glad you enjoyed your quick trip, it is on my bucket list.

Sounds like a fun time. Definitely action packed.

I have been to NO years ago, but DH has not been. I will keep your ideas in mind for the next time.

Back
Top Bottom