Rails to trails rides

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
Any other rails to trails fans out there? I love these trails on my bike (mostly flat, mostly straight, mostly nice scenery), and plan on biking several new trails this year.

Some of my favorites are (I live in NC):

C&O canal towpath: Nice history (with the locks and lock houses), Harper's Ferry, beautiful scenery on the majestic Potomac river, towns not too far apart.

Virginia Creeper trail: Easy 17 mile downhill ride through the woods from Whitetop VA to Damascus VA. Beautiful ride following rivers, some rapids, and nice meadows.

This year, I plan on doing:
1) the other half of the Creeper (from Abingdon to Damascus), also mostly downhill
2) the New River Trail state park (VA) on the New River
3) the Virginia Capitol Trail around Williamsburg VA

I run on them a lot. It's a lot safer than running on roads, and the softer surface is easier on the feet and legs.

A couple of others in the NC/VA:

American Tobacco Trail: 22 miles from north of Durham to south of Cary
High Bridge Trail: 31 miles through Farmville VA, with a really high bridge somewhere in the middle

There's also the Blue Ridge Rail Trail, just 7 miles long but closest to me. Despite the name it's only near the Blue Ridge mountains and you don't really have a view of them, but it's a great place to run.

Out of all of those, I probably like the New River trail the best but I haven't run the full length of any of them except for my local one.

I've also run the Tunnel Hill trail that goes through Vienna Illinois, and the MoPac trail that goes from Lincoln NE toward Omaha.

Here in NJ (and nearby lower NY State) we have several very nice rail trail paths. I meet up with a few of my friends and we do group rides. Myself, I've driven as much as 2 hours to go on a new trail . In my years of doing this, I think there was 1 rail trail that was disappointing. They are, generally, wonderful places to ride.

I bike, run and hike on several trails in Illinois. Illinois and Michigan canal trail, Old Plank Road Trail, Wauponsee Trail, and a few abandoned railroads that are not officially trails. I hike the I&M canal trail about twice a week with my camera searching for bald eagles and other wildlife. Great to get some exercise while doing a hobby at the same time.

In a rare example of my tax dollars being used in a way that delights me, they paved a long segment of the Rock Island Trail and there's a trail head only 1/4 mile out of my neighborhood. I've bicycled to Arrowhead Stadium! My first venture on these trails was in Hermann, MO on the Katy Trail- have also bicycled a stretch in Rockport on the way home on I-70. I love them all- level, no cars, not crowded, and pretty much paved on the segments I've used. My leaky heart problems mean that hills are a lot harder for me than they used to be, so this is a real blessing. (My cardiologist is very supportive of exercise as long as I don't get crazy about it.)

BTW, Edward Jones has been a major donor to efforts to improve and maintain the Katy Trail in MO. Just so you know.:D

Any other rails to trails fans out there? I love these trails on my bike (mostly flat, mostly straight, mostly nice scenery), and plan on biking several new trails this year.

Some of my favorites are (I live in NC):

C&O canal towpath: Nice history (with the locks and lock houses), Harper's Ferry, beautiful scenery on the majestic Potomac river, towns not too far apart.

Virginia Creeper trail: Easy 17 mile downhill ride through the woods from Whitetop VA to Damascus VA. Beautiful ride following rivers, some rapids, and nice meadows.

This year, I plan on doing:
1) the other half of the Creeper (from Abingdon to Damascus), also mostly downhill
2) the New River Trail state park (VA) on the New River
3) the Virginia Capitol Trail around Williamsburg VA

Hi Camfused,

I have hiked and run the C&O towpath but never biked it. I need to.

Are you familiar with the W&OD here in northern VA? Takes you from rural Virginia all the way to Mt. Vernon via connecting trails. You can also bike some stretches of the Cross-County Trail (CCT) in Fairfax County. It's about 40 miles but that one is not rails to trails but runs adjacent to streams and also through some neighborhoods.

I need to check out the other trails you mentioned.

...American Tobacco Trail...
High Bridge Trail...Blue Ridge Rail Trail...

Yes, I live about a mile from a greenway that takes me out (only 7 miles) to the American Tobacco Trail, so I get out there often.

The High Bridge Trail sounds interesting, and is new to me. It looks like it is 31 miles long, crushed gravel, and goes over the Appomattox river on a big wooden trestle. Only about 2.5hrs away from me, so I will have to add it to the list.

The Virginia Blue Ridge Rail trail, is also new to me, and also looks like crushed stone.

Thanks!

W&OD is so heavily used that it's been expanded in Falls Church, VA, which is great because the runners and walkers have their own path, as do the cyclists.

Hi Camfused,

I have hiked and run the C&O towpath but never biked it. I need to.

Are you familiar with the W&OD here in northern VA? ...

The C&O is such a great experience. I have only done a small section between Point of Rocks MD and Harper's Ferry WV, so far. I do a fair amount of hiking too, but I prefer biking on the rail trails, unless they are too rutty (and the C&O is not). If you keep going (on the Great Allegheny Passage trail, the GAP), you can actually bike from Washington DC to Pittsburgh PA!

Yes, the W&OD is on my list too, for someday. Looks like a really nice countryside experience.

The High Bridge Trail sounds interesting, and is new to me. It looks like it is 31 miles long, crushed gravel, and goes over the Appomattox river on a big wooden trestle. Only about 2.5hrs away from me, so I will have to add it to the list.

The Virginia Blue Ridge Rail trail, is also new to me, and also looks like crushed stone.
Yes, they are both crushed stone and in great shape.

Great post. Lots of great trails. I have biked many listed here and the ones the OP suggested. Some other thoughts, the first one I biked is the country's first rail trail Elroy to Sparta Wisconsin. Katy Trail which was/is still the longest one in the country.

The Creeper was great(if you want a bit of challenge that ends in a great reward, bike up).

I think one of the best ones I have biked is the the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. And while the Hiawatha is not part of it, it is close to Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes. The Hiawatha is worth going out of your way to bike. I think it might have been the most fun rail trail I have ridden out of all of them.

The lake Erie tow path is OK but does get a little boring. There is also a fun ride on the Canadian side of the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. Once you cross the bridge there is a path to Niagara Falls.

Another protected road ride is Montreal to Quebec City. Some is on rail trail but as I remember all is protected from motor vehicles.

Finally, not a rail trail but a parkway with slower traffic and wide shoulders, the Natchez Trace might be an alternative for some people. The history of the Trace is interesting. The biking gets a bit boring but the little towns and some other stops are very nice.

Oh, almost forgot the Putnam trail from Brewster NY to NYC. Many NYC people take the train to Brewster and bike back to town. A little downhill that way. Those living around Brewster, bike to NYC and train back. Oh, and while your in that part of the country, try the Walkway over the Hudson. I always imagine the Boys in the Boat.

For those who are not aware and want to expand their touring, take a look at Adventure Cycling Association site. It is a NGO that encourages bike touring and helps select the safest roads. But, not limited to rail trails. https://www.adventurecycling.org/

I know there are a few people here who have a lot of experience touring. I am confident if you have questions about broadening your touring options, you will likely find some support/ideas here.

Ride-on!

Dang! That Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes looks so good I may have to fly out to Spokane there and do that one!

Being from NE Iowa, I have done many of the Iowa, MN, WI area trails. My favorite in the area is probably the Root River Trail near Lanesboro, MN.

(While in the area, we usually canoe the Upper Iowa river from Kendallville to Bluffton, IA).

In google maps, you can turn on bicycling overlay and it makes black lines (on my map, anyway). Not all of the lines are greeway paths or trails, but a lot of them are. Just thought I'd toss that out there, for those who might be poking around for possible rides.

I also do most of my biking on rail trails. I’m lucky live close to the Delaware & Lehigh trail so that’s where ride most often. I’m really lucky to occasionally get paid to ride, whether it’s babysitting a group of girls on a two hour ride or as one of two guides on a four day, 165 mile trip.

I like Rails to Trails. I ride on the Capital Crescent and WO&D in and around DC frequently. The Towpath is OK but can get pretty messy with rain. I would like to ride the Great Allegheny Passage on of these years. When on vacation I have hit a few around the country.

When we lived in the Atlanta area, we often did parts of the Silver Comet Trail. I'm not sure of the total distance, but I think it almost goes to the Alabama State line.

In Florida we like the St. Marks trail, which goes from Tallahassee to St. Marks on the coast -- a 32 mile round trip. It's best done in the fall or even winter, given the heat and humidity down here.

We've done several rail to trail rides in and around PA and WV. In WV we stayed at the Watuga State Park and rode the Greenbriar River Trail in both directions. The trail is 77 miles but we covered about 30 miles of it.

Also did a section of the Allegheny Passage Trail by staying at Ohioyple State Park (PA) and riding both directions.

Another long trail is the Alleghany River Trail, can start at Oil City PA and run south to Emlenton PA roughly 30 miles and two very dark tunnels. Additional trails in the vicinity is the Sandy Creek Trail (12 miles) as a spur with a tunnel. And a 10 mile trail in oil creek state park.

Another is the Western Reserve Greenway Trail running south out of Ashtabula Ohio, 44 miles.

And of course, the Cuyahoga National Park trail, Towpath trail, can take the train one direction and bike back. About 20 miles.

Out of Kittaning PA there is the Armstrong Trail.about 35 miles.

Last edited:
I will second the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes. Incredible scenery and it seems like I see a moose just about every time I ride it. Or a huge osprey. I did an out and back century ride on it a couple of years ago. 100 miles and I think it was a total of maybe 300’-400’ of climbing, but only because I started up in Plummer. Only 2 road crossings that whole way.

The Hiawatha is also an experience, just be sure to bring a good light. Has a couple of long tunnels that are pitch black. Be careful if you aren’t in decent shape, though, as the ride down can give a false sense of confidence. It’s definitely a climb back to the start. There is a shuttle service from the bottom.

When we lived in Louisiana, we were near the Tammany Trace....(watch out for the gators!). If you are visiting New Orleans, it's a great escape to real Louisiana....with a brewery and great restaurants along the trail......

Tammany Trace - Home

Here are a few that I've biked which I have seen mentioned yet:

Le P'tit Train du Nord is a wonderful rail-trail in Quebec, going 234 km (146 miles) from the northern suburbs of Montreal north through the Laurentian mountains. https://ptittraindunord.com/en/

The Pine Creek Rail Trail runs 62 miles through the so-called "Grand Canyon of Pennsylviania" in northern PA. Very pretty scenery. https://pacanyon.com/PineCreekRailTrail.html

The Cape Cod Rail Trail is a paved 22 mile trail from South Dennis to Wellfleet. https://www.mass.gov/doc/cape-cod-rail-trail-trail-map/download

The Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail goes from Ashland, MD north of Baltimore, to the Mason-Dixon line where it meets the York County Heritage Rail Trail which continues to York, PA. The two trails are very different, with the MD portion being largely through dense forest, and the PA portion being a much wider trail in open spaces. Combined they are over 40 miles.

The Western Maryland Rail Trail is a paved trail which parallels the C&O Canal for 28 miles. I found it a pleasure to get off the bumpy canal towpath when I rode from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP Trail & C&O Canal.

A lot of people in the DC area are unaware of the Indian Head Rail Trail, a 13 mile paved trail in Charles County, MD, south of DC. Most of it goes through forest.

Here are a few that I've biked which I have seen mentioned yet:

Le P'tit Train du Nord is a wonderful rail-trail in Quebec, going 234 km (146 miles) from the northern suburbs of Montreal north through the Laurentian mountains. https://ptittraindunord.com/en/
I had a trip there planned a few years ago and had to cancel at the last moment. My BiL and SiL did it just before Covid and loved it. There is a nice package where they shuttle you and your bikes up from Montreal to a B&B at the far end. Then you ride back staying at two more B&Bs on the return. Your luggage is shuttled from place to place and returned to you in Montreal.

This is a good resource : https://www.railstotrails.org/

The one that stick in my mind is near Jim Thorpe in the Lehigh Valley. There are outfits that will take you & your bike (or one of theirs) to the top of the trail & you can coast down along the river. It was a beautiful way to spend a day.

I run on them a lot. It's a lot safer than running on roads, and the softer surface is easier on the feet and legs.

+1 we prefer them for the same reason. We have biked many of the ones mentioned that are in the DC-MD-VA area. One of my desires is to take a vacation this spring to area area that provides close access to several trails and bike them as part of our vacation.

Back
Top Bottom