Join Early Retirement Today

Rental Car UK?
Old 03-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rental Car UK?

DW & I are visiting the UK with another couple in May/June for about 4 weeks and need to rent a car for that period. It would be nice if my wife and our friend could drive too. Looking at something a bit larger than a compact car. Will pick up & return to Heathrow. Looking for a good (but not necessarily lowest) price mostly want a good vehicle and convenience. Any recommendations? Any insurance issues to be aware of?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Last time I did that was nearly three years ago and I was very happy with Avis. Picked it up at Waterloo station and returned it at Heathrow 12 days later. It was a small car, but very good. $275 all in. Of course the dollar was stronger back then.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If this is anyone's first experience driving on the left be sure everyone in the car is hyper-vigilant. Many years ago I just about got us t-boned leaving Stonehenge because I looked to the left for traffic instead of to the right.

After many trips and many left-handed miles, I am now pretty comfortable with "wrong way" driving, but the Stonehenge near-miss was like the second day of my first experience.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Enterprise at Heathrow treated me like a king.

A warning to you, though, having a narrower car will actually be a big benefit! See, most cars over there are smaller than in the US, so parking spots and lanes can get insanely tight for a bigger car.

Put a "think left" note on the steering wheel. It's the first block that's the most dangerous.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

If you are a costco member, rent through them. They allow a second driver free of charge.
Check the terms on the credit card you use too. Some of them will act as primary insurer for cars rented abroad. All cards have some maximum number of renta days that they will provide insurance for.

We used Enterprise - picked it up in Penzance and returned it in NewCastle. We had no issues. Since Costco didn't list Penzance as a pick-up spot, we rented directly through Enterprise UK.

For the first couple of days, we chanted - to the left, to the left - when getting going

Gasoline - fill gas and then go into the office and pay. One machine decided to keep our card and it took some doing from the attendant to get it out.

Parking : Pay attention. They are pretty strict about times & fees. While we didn't use one, there are apps that allow you to pay from the phone. They tend to be regional though.

Speeding : There are speed cameras EVERYWHERE! Watch your speed.
Take a phone holder that attaches to the windshield or a vent + a car charging cable (thought most new cars now have USB ports). Using google maps will make your trip much easier. In rural areas, I found it useful to check out my route before hand to make sure it wasn't taking me through some very narrow roads just to save a few meters. This was a big issue in Cornwall.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually go on to Expedia and see who has the best deal out of the major rental companies. I think you need to get a shuttle bus to all of them at Heathrow so not sure that one is more convenient that the other. Watch out for the additional driver charges - that can vary between companies.

In the UK the rental company is required to include unlimited liability insurance in the rental. Most likely your credit card will cover any collision damage (but check this!), so I have never taken additional insurance.

I like to get a diesel if possible since fuel is expensive there and you can save quite a bit with a diesel car - just make sure you put the right fuel in at the pump!

If you can't drive a manual, make sure you request an automatic, since manuals are pretty common in rental fleets there.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
gone traveling

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
After many trips and many left-handed miles, I am now pretty comfortable with "wrong way" driving, but the Stonehenge near-miss was like the second day of my first experience.
It's not wrong-way. You still go east to get east. Wrong-side? OK.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Wink
Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
gone traveling

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Enterprise at Heathrow treated me like a king.

A warning to you, though, having a narrower car will actually be a big benefit! See, most cars over there are smaller than in the US, so parking spots and lanes can get insanely tight for a bigger car.

Put a "think left" note on the steering wheel. It's the first block that's the most dangerous.
Trying to get out of the rental car lot the first couple of times was real mind blowing.

Vs. think left, I always remembered that the driver is towards the center of the road, not by the curb.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
gone traveling

What's gas now, like $6/gallon (If you can figure it out.)?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Not something you really want to ask.
I remember that three years ago it was over £50 to fill up my small Hyundai with diesel.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
More like $10/US Gallon for gas. £1.18/liter & £1=$1.35
Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

We used AutoEurope last year. I was quite pleased. Best option for picking up at Pancras and they were really easy to return to at Heathrow (T5). I have also used Sixt before (used to be Sixt Kenning)

Some thoughts, along the lines of what others have already wrote:
- make sure you get an automatic. I am very comfortable driving stick but I find as I am getting older the novelty has worn off. Plus, you are shifting with the wrong (left) hand, which is annoying. Also, I learned to do hill starts with using the handbrake. Most rentals come with electric handbrakes now. Useless for hill starts.
- diesels are more economical and just as peppy (even more so at low range). A lot of rentals are diesel now.
- plus 1 on the small/narrow car consideration. Don't let them talk you into an SUV or a boatsized car. When you are trying to squeeze down a B road between a stone wall and a tractor, you'll be glad you're not in a Range Rover.
- if you are not comfortable on roundabouts, read up on the rules beforehand. Basically, outside lane(s) for the first exits, inside lane(s) for exits after halfway or further. If you come to a double roundabout (figure 8), lay on the horn, wave out the windows and just go for it (kidding).
- GPS is standard and mandatory. These people have no idea what a grid pattern is.. lol

Otherwise, enjoy !
Old 03-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
More like $10/US Gallon for gas. £1.18/liter & £1=$1.35
Not quite that bad:

1.18 × 1.35 x 4 = $6.37
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #14

Driving in the UK, it has been a while. Still have my license.
First of all, if anyone can't drive a manual that expects to drive, make sure your reserve an automatic. At least when I was there manuals were not common.

I would expect you should expect you US insurance to cover nothing in the UK. When I traveled over there I got insurance with the car. When I lived there I bought insurance insurance as I would back home.

Read up on the driving rules in the UK. Who has right of way, how to navigate roundabouts. If you know all about roundabouts, google Swindon magic roundaboutm and report back on the rules during rush hour.

Make sure you understand universal traffic signage and what all the line painting on the roads and differences in cross walks mean.

And when driving in the county with hedges on each side... don't brush up against the hedges.. many have rock walls inside.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
We used AutoEurope last year. I was quite pleased. Best option for picking up at Pancras and they were really easy to return to at Heathrow (T5). I have also used Sixt before (used to be Sixt Kenning)

Some thoughts, along the lines of what others have already wrote:
- make sure you get an automatic. I am very comfortable driving stick but I find as I am getting older the novelty has worn off. Plus, you are shifting with the wrong (left) hand, which is annoying. Also, I learned to do hill starts with using the handbrake. Most rentals come with electric handbrakes now. Useless for hill starts.
- diesels are more economical and just as peppy (even more so at low range). A lot of rentals are diesel now.
- plus 1 on the small/narrow car consideration. Don't let them talk you into an SUV or a boatsized car. When you are trying to squeeze down a B road between a stone wall and a tractor, you'll be glad you're not in a Range Rover.
- if you are not comfortable on roundabouts, read up on the rules beforehand. Basically, outside lane(s) for the first exits, inside lane(s) for exits after halfway or further. If you come to a double roundabout (figure 8), lay on the horn, wave out the windows and just go for it (kidding).
- GPS is standard and mandatory. These people have no idea what a grid pattern is.. lol

Otherwise, enjoy !
Note that outside and inside are the opposite here as well. Took me months to figure that out when I moved to the USA. In the USA the lane closest to the median is called the inside lane and is where the faster traffic is. In the UK the lane closest to the median is called the outside lane and is also the fastest traffic.

When driving on a 3 lane each way motorway note that large trucks are not allowed in the fast lane ever, and drivers are required to move to the slowest lane after overtaking when clear and NO undertaking (passing a vehicle by going past on a slower lane). We once had friends over who complained to us that trucks were flashing and honking at them while they were driving in the centre lane even though there was no traffic in either of the other 2 lanes.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Well …

On my last trip my satnav (what they call GPS over there) sent me down a lane in the Lake District that got steadily narrower and narrower, until it was just crops on both sides. Then it opened up a bit and I was next to a house where a lady was tending her garden. I asked her the way to our inn. She thought for a moment, then walked over to me and asked "Are you by chance using satnav?"
"Yes."
She stood up straight and in the sternest possible voice said "DON'T!"
Then she gave me some good directions.

DW still teases me about that.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Note that outside and inside are the opposite here as well. Took me months to figure that out when I moved to the USA. In the USA the lane closest to the median is called the inside lane and is where the faster traffic is. In the UK the lane closest to the median is called the outside lane and is also the fastest traffic.
True but since I was talking to a North American, I used the understood usage.

Quote:
... NO undertaking (passing a vehicle by going past on a slower lane). We once had friends over who complained to us that trucks were flashing and honking at them while they were driving in the centre lane even though there was no traffic in either of the other 2 lanes.
Good one to remember. I just finished an 8 state, 1100 mile drive home yesterday from GA. Cars zooming by on both sides. Never see that in Blighty.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Well …
On my last trip my satnav (what they call GPS over there) sent me down a lane in the Lake District that got steadily narrower and narrower, until it was just crops on both sides. Then it opened up a bit and I was next to a house where a lady was tending her garden. I asked her the way to our inn. She thought for a moment, then walked over to me and asked "Are you by chance using satnav?"
"Yes."
She stood up straight and in the sternest possible voice said "DON'T!"
Then she gave me some good directions.
DW still teases me about that.
lol... sure.. but is she going to be in the backseat the whole trip helping you find the carpark in Upper Bumfuzzle, Dorset ?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I use Autoeurope usually. And I always pickup cars anywhere but an airport to avoid additiona taxes, service charges and tolls. Usually there is no cost to return them at an airport location.

My credit card insures my rental cars in most countries, but Italy and all of Ireland are excluded where you have to purchase their insurance. Many UK rental companies don't want their cars going by ferry to Ireland.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Used Sixt rent a car last fall for a two week rental. Car, rate, and service was excellent. Picked up and dropped off at Heathrow. Car was a Mini Cooper clubman. Had lots of fun whipping around country. Paid 382 euros for 13 days.