Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
No room for error and no turn around spots. You are committed once you enter the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
Be aware that some towns have driving restrictions on non-residents - usually small towns with small tight streets.
Until mentioned, I kind of forgot about the city driving headaches, and those are worth mentioning. In Gibraltar we had to circle for 20 minutes to find a free place to park. In Seville, we were looking for a tourist office that was open (many were closed on that day/time), and we ended-up driving into the tiny/narrow streets, right up to the door of the Seville Cathedral! We literally had to fold-in a mirror to get through one place, and we had a tiny car! Once outside of the old city areas, it's no problem, except they'll charge you to park a car at most hotels in big cities.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Restricted streets are also common in Italy..complete with cameras and large fines for those who mistakenly enter. Same in some Turkish cities.

We invariably rent when we are leaving a city and drop off at another. In Spain we trained from Madrid to Toledo. Toured and picked up the car as we left. Dropped it off in Seville when we arrived. But we did have the car in Granada...just parked it for a day in a public parking lot.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Restricted streets are also common in Italy..complete with cameras and large fines for those who mistakenly enter. Same in some Turkish cities.
In some of the Spanish towns there was a short window of time allowed for "free" and beyond that you would get a ticket. If you were staying in a hotel inside the downtown then the owner would register your license plate and give you access.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same in Turkey. We had a car while travelling through Antalya. The hotel owner had to phone in our lic. Plate details to avoid any tickets during the few days we were there. This was in the old part of gown where traffic is restricted. This is very common. Failure to pay close attention to the signs or to ask can turn into an expensive proposition by the time the rental agency adds their admin fee to the ticket cost.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote