Renting a travel trailer

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Anybody ever rent a travel trailer?

We have just a one-day, one-night event on the calendar, and a few of our friends will be taking their campers. I thought it might be fun to rent a camper. I'd try to rent it close to our destination so as to not need to drag it too many miles. Thinking about this, I ran into a few questions, the first of which was how to find someone that rents their camper.

The idea for renting came to me when I passed one of those storage places and I saw a row of campers out back. I figured they'd probably like to make up a bit of those storage fees. Since then, I found a site called rvshare and I've looked around on there. That brought me to my second question...

The van we have has a hitch that was added by U-Haul. The specs have "3,500 pounds max" and "5,000 pounds max", depending on the hitch type. So I need to get that figured out and make sure I'm in spec.

So if anyone has rented (or rents-out) a camper, what wisdom can you share about it?

There are places that rent campers, especially popups. They tend to want to rent for a whole weekend and I find the prices high.

The rating you quoted is for the hitch, but what matters is the rating for the vehicle. You will find this in the owners manual in your glove box or on line. The exact model matters, as a lower trim SUV, for example, may not have a transmission cooler that a higher trim has as standard equipment.

Some owners rent directly, but they are rare. There is a website similar to AirBNB that lists them in addition to Craigslist. https://rvshare.com/

Last edited:
I too find the price of renting travel trailers high. Some RV dealers rent them.

KOA and other national campgrounds have camping cabins for rent for less than motel prices. They're very basic accommodations and a bath house is usually close by. They would give you the camping experience without the hassle of towing and setup.

Maybe your friends will be camping at a campgorund with such facilities.

What I like about camping is the people you run into. They're most often authentic, normal individuals that just prefer nature and getting out of big cities. We've been RV owners since 1995, and wouldn't take anything for our camping experiences. Our grandkids just love to head for the mountains too.

Many RV dealers rent them, and will set them up for you too.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. A wealth of quality information, as usual, on this site.

I'll check the dealerships. Seems like having it delivered and set-up would be kind of pricey, though.

The "campground" is really just a guy's land where he's having the gathering.

I know it's not going to be a smart financial decision...I could get a hotel and round trip Uber for probably one third of what it's going to cost me. But then I wouldn't be camping!

The point on the vehicle being the weakest link, that got me to crack open the owner's manual. It was definitive. 3,500 pounds maximum. Seems like most of the units on rvshare are bigger than what I can tow, but there are a few small (I'd call 'em tiny) ones.

...........The point on the vehicle being the weakest link, that got me to crack open the owner's manual. It was definitive. 3,500 pounds maximum. Seems like most of the units on rvshare are bigger than what I can tow, but there are a few small (I'd call 'em tiny) ones.
That 3500 pounds is exclusive of the weight in the tow vehicle, too, except for the driver (read the fine print). A pop-up camper is quite roomy for a small trailer. They have their drawbacks, but have maximum room for a given weight. The kids might like their own tent, depending on their ages.

Thanks, all. A wealth of quality information, as usual, on this site.

I'll check the dealerships. Seems like having it delivered and set-up would be kind of pricey, though.

I know it's not going to be a smart financial decision...I could get a hotel and round trip Uber for probably one third of what it's going to cost me. But then I wouldn't be camping!

The point on the vehicle being the weakest link, that got me to crack open the owner's manual. It was definitive. 3,500 pounds maximum. Seems like most of the units on rvshare are bigger than what I can tow, but there are a few small (I'd call 'em tiny) ones.

I was going to suggest this, but that wasnt what you were asking, but since you brought it up... This is what I would do. In the morning when you rejoin the camp site all showered and fresh you will thank yourself.

That 3500 pounds is exclusive of the weight in the tow vehicle, too, except for the driver (read the fine print). A pop-up camper is quite roomy for a small trailer. They have their drawbacks, but have maximum room for a given weight. The kids might like their own tent, depending on their ages.

My fifth wheel trailer has 2 bedrooms and 4 slides--and an outside kitchen. It weighs almost 13,000 lbs. and requires a heavy duty diesel pickup truck to move it. I just leave it in storage and our campground moves it on site for me. With a/c, internet and 3 flat screen televisions, it's the upper end of roughing it smoothly.

Anybody ever rent a travel trailer?

We have just a one-day, one-night event on the calendar, and a few of our friends will be taking their campers. I thought it might be fun to rent a camper. I'd try to rent it close to our destination so as to not need to drag it too many miles...

For one day one night, that's a lot of hassle to rent. The friends without camper, what will be their accommodation? Toilet facility is a problem, else you can pitch a tent.

We rented a c-class RV from Cruise America this summer. For a rental experience it was ok. The fridge was a decent size, the A/C worked well and the beds were comfortable. The worst part was that they don't properly maintain (keep clean) the fresh water tanks and plumbing. So while we were able to hook up to the campsite water for the bathroom & washing dishes, we could not use it for drinking, food prep or brushing teeth (signs at each sink to remind you). We brought a couple gallon jugs and refilled them from the neighboring campsites as needed. It was a little inconvenient, but if you're only out for a day or two, it wouldn't be bad at all.

We looked into RVShare, but the reviews made it sound like the corp administrative end was a little sketchy.

You can do as i do. Leave the window open at the hotel. Now that is camping (in my world) :LOL:

We have stories of our RV friends making fun of us when we borrowed my parents 5th wheel. Trouble getting set up. Whadda mean the micro wave doesn't work unless we are hooked up? We got to be passable at it. Good times but it is hotel for us now

That 3500 pounds is exclusive of the weight in the tow vehicle, too, except for the driver (read the fine print).
Yeah, the section in the owner's manual was pretty clear about it. It's like 8,700 max with weight of the tow vehicle.

Check out https://rvshare.com ..... It is like VRBO for RVs/Trailers, some of these people will setup and pickup when finished
I have checked that out....

We looked into RVShare, but the reviews made it sound like the corp administrative end was a little sketchy.
I also found it sketchy. Specifically, when you are about to book, it says "100% refundable" blah, blah, making you think there's no risk. But there was something in there that made me dig. It took me a while, but I uncovered the fact that it would cost $90 for me to cancel. Ah, yeah, hardly 100% refundable. Also, the people that have their campers on that site don't seem to be checking their email...lots of crickets in response to my inquiries.

You can do as i do. Leave the window open at the hotel. Now that is camping (in my world) :LOL:
I might just do that, hehe!

My thoughts - Just 1 night at a campground but the night time activity is really one of the best parts so not sure I'd do a hotel.

I'd buy/borrow a tent, cots & sleeping bags and probably still save money over the camper rental.

#1 question that I would want to know is if there will be power available and if so, will there be enough connections for several campers? If you don't have power, then you might as well just bring a tent.

I will also add that as much as I LOVE camping, the set up can be a pain and quite time consuming if you haven't got the rhythm down. Even as a seasoned camper, I wouldn't set up a rig for a single day. For something like that, I would bring a nice lawn chair and a cooler of adult beverages and hang out until everyone hits the sack.

Go back to nature...build a Wickiup.

For something like that, I would bring a nice lawn chair and a cooler of adult beverages and hang out until everyone hits the sack.
I'm thinking this might be what I'll do. I'm going to see if there are late night taxi's or Ubers out in that particular sparsely populated neck of the woods.

Or I could go with one of these:

Attachments

• wickiup.jpg
    wickiup.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 91
Much ado about nothing! It turns out the guy that's holding the event is letting us crash in his camper! The new problem is what gesture of appreciation I can do...I was thinking of buying him something to make his next use of the camper a little nicer.

Ask if he has a solar panel. If not, you can get him a small portable solar set up for less than $100. For a small camper, it will keep the battery topped off for lights at night, and to have power to charge phones and run radios, etc... It will also maintain the battery when the camper is in storage.

A quick look on Amazon shows a 20W kit (panel+charge controller) for $60.

Much ado about nothing! It turns out the guy that's holding the event is letting us crash in his camper! The new problem is what gesture of appreciation I can do...I was thinking of buying him something to make his next use of the camper a little nicer.

Hmmm, let me think. Well there is always a 2018 Ford F350 dually King Ranch Edition :angel:

Hmmm, let me think. Well there is always a 2018 Ford F350 dually King Ranch Edition :angel:

Did a tour of the King Ranch around 2001....didn't get one of the trucks though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom