Repositioning Cruises

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just checking out VTG, there are some good deals:

14 days Mar 30 Fort Lauderdale, FL Barcelona, Spain Holland America / Rotterdam base price $499

14 days Mar 30 Fort Lauderdale, FL Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Holland America / Westerdam $699

13 days Apr 2 Fort Lauderdale, FL Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Holland America / Koningsdam $499

14 days Apr 9 San Juan, Puerto Rico Lisbon, Portugal Windstar / Star Legend $759 (love to go on this one!)

14 days Apr 17 Tampa, FL Barcelona, Spain Royal Caribbean / Brilliance of the Seas $599

The Windstar caught my eye too. Smaller ship for the crossing caused DW to pause, though. But it would be nice to see what Windstar is like.

The Windstar caught my eye too. Smaller ship for the crossing caused DW to pause, though. But it would be nice to see what Windstar is like.

If we hadn't already had trips booked we'd definitely consider this one.....jeez, I'd even get hold of a jacket for the dining room........maybe next year.

We've traveled with Windstar. Nice, small ships, but on a long crossing would be really bored. Just not that much to do.

If we hadn't already had trips booked we'd definitely consider this one.....jeez, I'd even get hold of a jacket for the dining room........maybe next year.

Lots of people don't really "dress" in the dining room on Windstar. We saw lots of jeans and very few with jackets.

Lots of people don't really "dress" in the dining room on Windstar. We saw lots of jeans and very few with jackets.

Oh...I thought it was mandatory....thanks, good to know....scrap the jacket! :D

Oh...I thought it was mandatory....thanks, good to know....scrap the jacket! :D

We talked to a few folks who bought their fare on "flash" sites and couldn't give a rip about decorum.
Something else to consider about discount passage. You're with folks looking for a "deal" and they act and dress accordingly.

cruise for 2 weeks for $500?

Thirty six dollars a day?

I can't live here in my house for $36 a day.

cruise for 2 weeks for $500?

Thirty six dollars a day?

I can't live here in my house for $36 a day.

That's base price....there are extras....but, even so, when you factor in that you get all your meals, etc......there are good deals out there.

My caveat- those are sucker fares- inside cabins in steerage. A halfway decent ocean view cabin or a balcony cabin will be much more

My caveat- those are sucker fares- inside cabins in steerage. A halfway decent ocean view cabin or a balcony cabin will be much more

A balcony is great in the Caribbean; crossing the Atlantic, it's not worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

A balcony is great in the Caribbean; crossing the Atlantic, it's not worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

I also agree. We've crossed the Atlantic 4 times now and always had an inside cabin.

Oceanviews are nice, and on the couple times where the spread hasn't been too wide we've opted for them.

But, generally speaking, we've found that the inside cabins tie up to the dock at pretty much the same time as the more costly ones.

Last edited:
13 days Apr 2 Fort Lauderdale, FL Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Holland America / Koningsdam $499

Made me look :LOL:. The $499 is a great price, and I see you can get a balcony on this one for only $699. Too bad we're busy!

We have taken a repositioning cruise. We had an inside cabin and it was fine. While an upgraded cabin would be nice, I prefer to travel twice as often and have an inside cabin. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway.

We have taken a repositioning cruise. We had an inside cabin and it was fine. While an upgraded cabin would be nice, I prefer to travel twice as often and have an inside cabin. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin anyway.
+1

We've done a total of six, east & westbound; on two of them we upgraded to an oceanview, the first because it was cheap and for the other the offered onboard credits made it the better deal.

These times don't work for me but the concept is great.

Nothing I like better than to be dining in a formal dining room and sitting next to someone in jean and a T shirt. Flip flops too, I'd assume.

Haven't been on a cruise ship in a while, but we found we really preferred the balcony and it was worth the couple hundred extra.

As for repositioning cruises, remember that you have to factor in air fair one way. And of course if it's someplace you haven't been, you're going to want to spend a few days shoreside, so add in hotels, meals, rental cars, etc.

I think most ships now have options for formal and informal dining. But I've found that people are pretty much the same, no matter how they dress. I guess appearances just don't mean much to me. There are jerks at every socioeconomic level. Some would say more, the higher up you go.

Nothing I like better than to be dining in a formal dining room and sitting next to someone in jean and a T shirt. Flip flops too, I'd assume.

LOL...you just reminded me, albeit obliquely, of a post I ran into somewhere a couple/few years ago pertaining to a ship we were on and at the time we were on it.

The writer, who was the only one on board (to my knowledge) meeting the outlined criterion, complained about the supposed racial bias of the passengers who 'stared' at him and his lady "Because they were a mixed race couple".

The reason people 'stared' was because he, a white guy, was sporting ratty dreadlocks and looked like a Rasta who'd slept rough for a year. The fact that his lady was, (I believe), a Filipina was totally immaterial....I guess some people never perform self assessments in front of a mirror. :LOL:

Oceanviews are nice, and on the couple times where the spread hasn't been too wide we've opted for them.

But, generally speaking, we've found that the inside cabins tie up to the dock at pretty much the same time as the more costly ones.
Serious cruisers only spend sleep time in their cabins. Plus eventually you will build up frequent cruiser credit so that they will upgrade you automatically. Our friends are now in the highest class on Princess and their inside cabins get upgraded to suites.

Like Nemo we only do oceanview if the price difference is small. We are only in our cabin to sleep or shower. The interior room is really dark so great to sleep. Those are awesome deals but DH got bored and took a 2 year f.t. consulting job so no vacations for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom