Join Early Retirement Today

Rick Steves Guidebooks $5
Old 08-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rick Steves Guidebooks $5

Edited to add: I appear to have been too late. Most of the books are already out of stock.

FWIW, Rick Steves is having a guide book blowout - $5 for any guidebook. Hard copy only. Until 8/9 unless supplies run out earlier.

Note that many of his guidebooks will be updated later this year for 2021. And it's only guide books, not his other books on things like European art and the more general Europe Through the Back Door.

He's still paying much of his staff at least part-time wages through this entire mess. My guess is that many of them are kept busy doing guidebook updates that might have been put off for another year or so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #2

Cool. Too bad everything is sold out. I'll check back later in the week to see if they restock.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For our last trip we just got the guidebooks at the library. Then for travel we bought the ebook version. Those work well on an iPhone and iPad. Beats lugging around a paperback or cutting up the sections.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I buy mine used from Alibris and then cut them up.
I don't the hotels/restaurants info.
And, I am pretty that most museums are still in the same location.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been able to pick up a handful at library book sales, but my usual strategy is to checkout and consult that latest edition from the library for planning. But, for the actual trip, I will checkout an older edition to take with me. I'm pretty careful, so the books are returned in decent shape and I figure that most people only want the current edition anyway. The main advantage to owning a hard copy is being able to use highlighters and make notes directly in the book. I never thought of stripping out the sections that I don't use (lodging & entertainments.) Good idea. Don't forget to consult his website for updates to your guidebooks. They really do a good job of keeping their information current.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote