Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dtail is coming up from Florida! It will probably seem much nicer that time of year. I expect heíll want to be back in FL by November.
I don't know know about that--average August daytime temperature in Tampa is 91 and its 90 in Savannah and 89 in Charleston. I have been to Charleston and Savannah in August and it is just unbearable outside. If I were leaving Florida in August I would head to the mountains of North Carolina.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

my wife and I are debating a road trip from here in Chicago burbs to Chandler, AZ in late October to attend a wedding. Since we have nothing but time on our hand, we'll travel at a somewhat leisurely pace.

Any insights on this road trip would be welcome.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dtail is coming up from Florida! It will probably seem much nicer that time of year. I expect he’ll want to be back in FL by November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Charleston and Savannah will be almost unbearably hot and humid in August. I recommend waiting until November to go to those places. In August try Asheville NC
Thanks Harllee, but yes as Audrey points out, we would want to be in FLA in Nov. My DGF truly loves the heat and will not have an issue with it there at this time.
Another point of knowledge is my brother will be flying up to NJ during that time for a wedding, so this was a good time to "take advantage" of some time away just for the two of us.

Lastly, we will not fly just yet and with DGF's thrice surgically repaired back, a car trip to Asheville would be too far I presume.
We have wanted to go to these two places 2 years running now, so just wish to do it.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
my wife and I are debating a road trip from here in Chicago burbs to Chandler, AZ in late October to attend a wedding. Since we have nothing but time on our hand, we'll travel at a somewhat leisurely pace.

Any insights on this road trip would be welcome.

The many National Parks of Utah are beautiful that time of year, and are kind of on your way. Who knows how bad the crowds will be this year though.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m the OP here. I’ve decided to start planning the 2nd road trip before I’ve even taken the first one. This weekend, I will work out the details to get from PA up to Acadia National Park. I want to get there in May before the summer travel season starts. I’ll probably hit Watkins Glen and maybe Lake Placid in NY on the way up or back. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in New England already, but the government was shut down and National Parks were closed when I was in Bar Harbor a few years ago.

I may be stuck at home much of June as I’m having my house painted and a new driveway put in at that time (but not exactly sure when yet — weather dependent). So I have to be flexible that month. Oh, except for the week I’m flying to Yosemite. I nearly forgot about that trip!
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Looking forward to a potential road trip to Charleston and Savannah in August. Even though vaccinated, not sure yet on the air travel.
We just returned from there but we drove. Fun trip though!

Much more pleasant now than Aug.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Iím the OP here. Iíve decided to start planning the 2nd road trip before Iíve even taken the first one. This weekend, I will work out the details to get from PA up to Acadia National Park. I want to get there in May before the summer travel season starts. Iíll probably hit Watkins Glen and maybe Lake Placid in NY on the way up or back. Iíve spent quite a bit of time in New England already, but the government was shut down and National Parks were closed when I was in Bar Harbor a few years ago.

I may be stuck at home much of June as Iím having my house painted and a new driveway put in at that time (but not exactly sure when yet ó weather dependent). So I have to be flexible that month. Oh, except for the week Iím flying to Yosemite. I nearly forgot about that trip!
Watch out for the unbearable black flies/gnats/insectsthateatyou in late May early June!
Old 04-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
We just returned from there but we drove. Fun trip though!

Much more pleasant now than Aug.
Yes we will be driving too. My airplane comment was generic as to not sure when we will undertake that mode of travel.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Watch out for the unbearable black flies/gnats/insectsthateatyou in late May early June!
Sandflies! Ate me alive. DW, not ao much.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just got back from a road trip through western Colorado, I am so tired of staying in hotels. Any suggestions on how to tolerate hotels better?
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Just got back from a road trip through western Colorado, I am so tired of staying in hotels. Any suggestions on how to tolerate hotels better?
We rarely stay in hotels anymore. We rent AirBnBs, even if we are going to be in a place for just a few nights. When I have to stay in a hotel I try to stay in one that has suites like SpringHill Suites.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We are on a bit of a camping trip in our home state right now. Feels good!
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
J&J

So I'm planning a trip up the coast in 2 weeks. Will definitely stop at Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Humboldt ...... might even get into Oregon. Just need to make a few dog friendly motel reservations
Try Dog Trekker at dogtrekker.com. Their main focus is traveling with dogs!
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Iím all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. This will be a solo trip and Iím taking a week. I will first hit Ohioís Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

I canít wait!
This sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you report back.

Being from AR, I think Hot Springs National Park is worth a trip--perhaps not for a long stop--but a day or two. BathHouse Row is interesting; tour as many of them as you can. Hot Springs has an obvious seedy side, but there is plenty of history and beauty there.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Iím all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. I wonít count the 4-day rush trip from PA to FL and back last March to ďrescueĒ my Mom from her snowbird home or the second trip to FL in August to sell the home.

Iím fully vaccinated plus one month. This will be a solo trip and Iím taking a week. I will first hit Ohioís Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

Iíll still wear my mask everywhere except in my pickup or if Iím alone on a trail somewhere. Iím staying in hotels for the entire trip.

I canít wait!

When in Arkansas, Iíd sure recommend Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, and Mt, Nebo state parks over Hot Springs NP. Some great day hikes in those areas. In particular, Seven Hollows, North Rim, and the Mt Nebo rim trail. Lots of other even better hikes but those are near the state parks I mention. If up near the Buffalo river area be sure to do the Centerpoint/Goat trail. And Whitaker Point trail. They are great.

Hiking in Hot Springs was not that great IMO. Maybe go up to Lake Ouachita state park and do Caddo Bend loop trail. Itís close.

Anyway, have a great trip
Old 04-09-2021, 04:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks Harllee, but yes as Audrey points out, we would want to be in FLA in Nov. My DGF truly loves the heat and will not have an issue with it there at this time.
Another point of knowledge is my brother will be flying up to NJ during that time for a wedding, so this was a good time to "take advantage" of some time away just for the two of us.

Lastly, we will not fly just yet and with DGF's thrice surgically repaired back, a car trip to Asheville would be too far I presume.
We have wanted to go to these two places 2 years running now, so just wish to do it.
OK--just so you are prepared for heat and humidity in August which I guess you are living in Florida! Sometime when you are able look into a summertime trip to Asheville, not a bad drive from Tampa and excellent summer weather and many things to do (Biltmore House, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:27 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
When in Arkansas, Iíd sure recommend Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, and Mt, Nebo state parks over Hot Springs NP. Some great day hikes in those areas. In particular, Seven Hollows, North Rim, and the Mt Nebo rim trail. Lots of other even better hikes but those are near the state parks I mention. If up near the Buffalo river area be sure to do the Centerpoint/Goat trail. And Whitaker Point trail. They are great.

Hiking in Hot Springs was not that great IMO. Maybe go up to Lake Ouachita state park and do Caddo Bend loop trail. Itís close.

Second on Petit Jean and Mt. Magazine state park which has a spectacularly located lodge. Really extraordinary.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OK--just so you are prepared for heat and humidity in August which I guess you are living in Florida! Sometime when you are able look into a summertime trip to Asheville, not a bad drive from Tampa and excellent summer weather and many things to do (Biltmore House, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc)
Yes, Asheville is on our future hit list.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Yes, Asheville is on our future hit list.
In Asheville, you are just a short jaunt to Greenville SC, another charming spot. About an hour away.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post

Thanks for the suggestions in Arkansas.

May I ask the best time of the year for such a trip as you have described?

I am not into heat and humidity, I've never lived in those conditions and I doubt if my body could acclimate well to them. Nor am I into a big snow and winter sports person. (Spoiled? Yes.)