Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Road Trip! First since Covid started
Old 04-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Road Trip! First since Covid started

I’m all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. I won’t count the 4-day rush trip from PA to FL and back last March to “rescue” my Mom from her snowbird home or the second trip to FL in August to sell the home.

I’m fully vaccinated plus one month. This will be a solo trip and I’m taking a week. I will first hit Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

I’ll still wear my mask everywhere except in my pickup or if I’m alone on a trail somewhere. I’m staying in hotels for the entire trip.

I can’t wait!
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #3

Enjoy your trip.
I visited the museum at Dayton years ago. You used to have to sign up the day before to see the presidential and experimental hangars on base. It looks like that is no longer the case.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I’m all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began.

Solo triptaking a week.
Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park.
Mammoth Cave National Park.
Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas.
Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis.
US Air Force Museum in Dayton.
In between these sights, there is so many other travel sights to stop and see. For example, Mammoth Cave is a few miles from the Corvette Museum which is less than an hour from Nashville. Nashville alone is a 1 week town.

There's not enough to see in Hot Springs to make it a primary destination.

I've been thinking about making a run up to Bowling Green, Cave City (Mammoth Cave), N. Indiana RV factory tour, Kalamazoo to a premier car museum, The Henry Ford and/Ford River Rouge and Dayton's Air Museum.

In other words, there's plenty to see without driving 300 miles between travel sights/cities. Your itinerary might be virtually impossible in one week.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #5

We're heading to the Bahamas on a dive boat out of Miami on the 17th. Direct flights from DC to Miami and a very short trip to the marina. Bahamas requires a negative test to enter, so we'll do that a few days in advance. Surprisingly, re-entering the U.S. from a seaport does not require testing, only from an airport.

Anyway, DW got J&J last Friday and mine is tomorrow so we are freakin good go to!

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

J&J [emoji818]

So I'm planning a trip up the coast in 2 weeks. Will definitely stop at Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Humboldt ...... might even get into Oregon. Just need to make a few dog friendly motel reservations
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

Say hello to the XB-70 for me. Always a favorite from the Dayton museum.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #8

Have a great trip.

The hubster is starting a road trip soon - and I'm going to fly and meet him in NOLA for part of the drive home. Need to wait till 2 weeks after my 2nd shot (which I get tomorrow.) He's excited about seeing family (everyone is vaccinated) and I'm excited for the sightseeing on the way home. Can't wait to get out of the house for more than a walk or trip to Costco. LOL.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We are fully vaccinated and wish we could go on a road trip but DH is having knee replacement next week so we have to wait..... I hope he recovers quickly enough that we can do some short trips this summer.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton.
If you haven't been there before, or even if you have but some time ago, it's worth mentioning that it has been greatly expanded in recent years. Four enormous buildings now, and it would be impossible to even walk through it all at a brisk pace in a single day. To actually enjoy the visit I would allow a minimum of two full days.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I just came from California driving to Indiana. No issues but you should check to see that the attractions and facilities that you want too visit are actually open. Some National Park type areas are very limited currently from what I saw.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinauser View Post
I just came from California driving to Indiana. No issues but you should check to see that the attractions and facilities that you want too visit are actually open. Some National Park type areas are very limited currently from what I saw.
+1

While the great outdoors is usually open, the visitor centers, museums, historic homes and such are usually not open or highly restricted from what I have seen.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I took my last road trip in October 2020 (with lots of precautions) and am now fully vaccinated and itching to get out of town. The last five months were hard so cannot imagine spending an entire year plus at home - you are to be commended. I have a May road trip planned to the California coast and a couple of national parks.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

When I worked, every week was a road trip. 5 weeks a year in Florida. 3 weeks in California. PA, CT, NY. I'd hit VA's Shenandoah Valley every couple of months. And Louisiana was also my territory. I'd go and come many weeks staying in Gatlinburg.

Traveled so often that I didn't even use road maps in the east.

And I sure do miss it. My wife misses my road trips as I'd leave her in beach hotels in Florida while I went out to do my jobs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #15

Covid never stopped DW and I from traveling to CO, CA, KY, OH, SC, WV, NC, GA and FL. Had some of the best times ever! The spooked stayed home so virtually no crowds, and all the merchants loved us. From little old bake shops in CA to mega-Restaurants at the Biltmore, all we're so helpful, appreciative, grateful for DW and I making our journeys. we have a trip planned for Montana in June, and looking forward to it.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have done quite a few solo car trips over past year up and down the east coast and down to Key West. Had some great trips and stayed distanced everywhere.

Looking forward to air travel now that i am vaccinated. Next trip will be to Texas in May to visit family and friends ans get in some beach time.

Then to the islands this summer.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Looking forward to a potential road trip to Charleston and Savannah in August. Even though vaccinated, not sure yet on the air travel.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We did several long road trips during Covid, unfortunately due to DF’s health and ultimately the estate which is 1200 miles away!! We managed the trips with minimal contact with anyone else. No fannying about or sightseeing unfortunately. Not time.

We’re really looking forward to road trips and ultimately flying again for our own leisure travel.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Looking forward to a potential road trip to Charleston and Savannah in August. Even though vaccinated, not sure yet on the air travel.
Charleston and Savannah will be almost unbearably hot and humid in August. I recommend waiting until November to go to those places. In August try Asheville NC
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Charleston and Savannah will be almost unbearably hot and humid in August. I recommend waiting until November to go to those places. In August try Asheville NC
Dtail is coming up from Florida! It will probably seem much nicer that time of year. I expect he’ll want to be back in FL by November.