Road Trip! First since Covid started

Looking forward to a potential road trip to Charleston and Savannah in August. Even though vaccinated, not sure yet on the air travel.

We just returned from there but we drove. Fun trip though!

Much more pleasant now than Aug.

I’m the OP here. I’ve decided to start planning the 2nd road trip before I’ve even taken the first one. This weekend, I will work out the details to get from PA up to Acadia National Park. I want to get there in May before the summer travel season starts. I’ll probably hit Watkins Glen and maybe Lake Placid in NY on the way up or back. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in New England already, but the government was shut down and National Parks were closed when I was in Bar Harbor a few years ago.

I may be stuck at home much of June as I’m having my house painted and a new driveway put in at that time (but not exactly sure when yet — weather dependent). So I have to be flexible that month. Oh, except for the week I’m flying to Yosemite. I nearly forgot about that trip!

Watch out for the unbearable black flies/gnats/insectsthateatyou in late May early June!

We just returned from there but we drove. Fun trip though!

Much more pleasant now than Aug.

Yes we will be driving too. My airplane comment was generic as to not sure when we will undertake that mode of travel.

Just got back from a road trip through western Colorado, I am so tired of staying in hotels. Any suggestions on how to tolerate hotels better?

Just got back from a road trip through western Colorado, I am so tired of staying in hotels. Any suggestions on how to tolerate hotels better?

We rarely stay in hotels anymore. We rent AirBnBs, even if we are going to be in a place for just a few nights. When I have to stay in a hotel I try to stay in one that has suites like SpringHill Suites.

J&J [emoji818]

So I'm planning a trip up the coast in 2 weeks. Will definitely stop at Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Humboldt ...... might even get into Oregon. Just need to make a few dog friendly motel reservations

Try Dog Trekker at dogtrekker.com. Their main focus is traveling with dogs!

I’m all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. This will be a solo trip and I’m taking a week. I will first hit Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

I can’t wait!

This sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope you report back.

Being from AR, I think Hot Springs National Park is worth a trip--perhaps not for a long stop--but a day or two. BathHouse Row is interesting; tour as many of them as you can. Hot Springs has an obvious seedy side, but there is plenty of history and beauty there.

I’m all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. I won’t count the 4-day rush trip from PA to FL and back last March to “rescue” my Mom from her snowbird home or the second trip to FL in August to sell the home.

I’m fully vaccinated plus one month. This will be a solo trip and I’m taking a week. I will first hit Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

I’ll still wear my mask everywhere except in my pickup or if I’m alone on a trail somewhere. I’m staying in hotels for the entire trip.

I can’t wait!

When in Arkansas, I’d sure recommend Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, and Mt, Nebo state parks over Hot Springs NP. Some great day hikes in those areas. In particular, Seven Hollows, North Rim, and the Mt Nebo rim trail. Lots of other even better hikes but those are near the state parks I mention. If up near the Buffalo river area be sure to do the Centerpoint/Goat trail. And Whitaker Point trail. They are great.

Hiking in Hot Springs was not that great IMO. Maybe go up to Lake Ouachita state park and do Caddo Bend loop trail. It’s close.

Anyway, have a great trip

Thanks Harllee, but yes as Audrey points out, we would want to be in FLA in Nov. My DGF truly loves the heat and will not have an issue with it there at this time.
Another point of knowledge is my brother will be flying up to NJ during that time for a wedding, so this was a good time to "take advantage" of some time away just for the two of us.

Lastly, we will not fly just yet and with DGF's thrice surgically repaired back, a car trip to Asheville would be too far I presume.
We have wanted to go to these two places 2 years running now, so just wish to do it.

OK--just so you are prepared for heat and humidity in August which I guess you are living in Florida! Sometime when you are able look into a summertime trip to Asheville, not a bad drive from Tampa and excellent summer weather and many things to do (Biltmore House, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc)

When in Arkansas, I’d sure recommend Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, and Mt, Nebo state parks over Hot Springs NP. Some great day hikes in those areas. In particular, Seven Hollows, North Rim, and the Mt Nebo rim trail. Lots of other even better hikes but those are near the state parks I mention. If up near the Buffalo river area be sure to do the Centerpoint/Goat trail. And Whitaker Point trail. They are great.

Hiking in Hot Springs was not that great IMO. Maybe go up to Lake Ouachita state park and do Caddo Bend loop trail. It’s close.

Second on Petit Jean and Mt. Magazine state park which has a spectacularly located lodge. Really extraordinary.

OK--just so you are prepared for heat and humidity in August which I guess you are living in Florida! Sometime when you are able look into a summertime trip to Asheville, not a bad drive from Tampa and excellent summer weather and many things to do (Biltmore House, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc)

Yes, Asheville is on our future hit list.

Thanks for the suggestions in Arkansas.

May I ask the best time of the year for such a trip as you have described?

I am not into heat and humidity, I've never lived in those conditions and I doubt if my body could acclimate well to them. Nor am I into a big snow and winter sports person. (Spoiled? Yes.) :D

Some of these are up in the Ozark Mountains so you have some altitude. We were in the area in late spring/early summer and at Mount Magazine state park dry camping over Memorial Day weekend, and it was very comfortable!

Last edited:
Agree with Audrey. Most months are probably good for these hikes. I’ve done them in October and April and they were enjoyable. Maybe July / August should be avoided due to heat. Maybe December/January due to cold. But I’d just check weather and let that be your guide. It does seem to rain a fair amount in Arkansas. At least that’s my impression.

If you do go, PM me and I can give you a list of some excellent day hikes and overnight ones if you’re interested. The Ozarks and Ouachitas are beautiful even though they’re not super high elevation.

The many National Parks of Utah are beautiful that time of year, and are kind of on your way. Who knows how bad the crowds will be this year though.

By late October, the Grand Canyon may not be too crowded. A little National Park Disneyland-ish but definitely a must see.

+1

While the great outdoors is usually open, the visitor centers, museums, historic homes and such are usually not open or highly restricted from what I have seen.

We went to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago and they did a very good job of social distancing there and flowing people through in a one way pattern. Everyone was good about keeping masks on too. Several of the hands on exhibits such as where you can pretend to be in a band or cut your own record were closed though.

. I will first hit Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. !

WHEN?... We are heading to Hocking Hills 6/11 for 5 days
And we tossed the idea of swinging by Mammoth Caves on the way home

WHEN?... We are heading to Hocking Hills 6/11 for 5 days
And we tossed the idea of swinging by Mammoth Caves on the way home

If you haven't been there before, just be aware that it is, well, mammoth. No way to see more than a tiny fraction in one day. Every entrance to every part of the cave system is by timed reservation. But definitely well worth a visit.

Mammoth Cave

If you haven't been there before, just be aware that it is, well, mammoth. No way to see more than a tiny fraction in one day. Every entrance to every part of the cave system is by timed reservation. But definitely well worth a visit.

Mammoth Cave

Never have, and would want to spend several days anyway...
That part of the trip depends if our Grandson goes with us...
we took him for 3 weeks summer before last (something ruined last year) to Loring AFB in Maine... 2 family reunions, 4 wheeling in the Adirondacks, several different state parks, a day at Hersey's Park, and 3 days in DC....

Speaking of very cool caves made me think of Onondaga Cave State Park southwest of St. Louis in Missouri. We stayed in their campground which was really excellent and easily accommodated our large RV.

Onondaga Cave was a scheduled tour - absolutely excellent with beautiful lighting. I like these intimate still active caves with color, pools, lots of stalagmites/stalagtites. I took a number of low light photos.

We’ve take a number of cave tours, including a spectacular ice cave high in the Austrian Alps, and the Thousand Mammoths in southern France with incredible pre-historic engravings of you guessed it.....

Last edited:
Have a great trip!!

Hope you have a free Tesla EV to drive!!
MMM has a YouTube video to teach you how to install the 240v charging station at your house so it's charged before you leave 😉

I’m all set to start my first pleasure road trip since Covid began. I won’t count the 4-day rush trip from PA to FL and back last March to “rescue” my Mom from her snowbird home or the second trip to FL in August to sell the home.

I’m fully vaccinated plus one month. This will be a solo trip and I’m taking a week. I will first hit Ohio’s Hocking Hills State Park. Then on to Mammoth Cave National Park. Next stop will be Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Then turning north to visit Gateway Arch National Park in St. Louis. Turning back toward home, I will stop next at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton. Then back home to PA.

I’ll still wear my mask everywhere except in my pickup or if I’m alone on a trail somewhere. I’m staying in hotels for the entire trip.

I can’t wait!

Sounds good to me too. We will be going on our "delayed" camping trip" next week. Will be camping in Ms. Tx. Ar. Mo. Ky. & Tn, NC. have friends in Tx. going to Hot Springs as we transition to Branson Mo. Then to The Arch as we transition to Ky. For the Corvette museum, KY. Horse park & Ark Encounter/Creation Museum. Winding down to Tn & NC on our way back to Ga. in time to get our DGD when she gets out for summer in mid May. Then we will be off with her to Dollywood since we couldn't go last year and she was so disappointed. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom