Join Early Retirement Today

Road trip from Los Angeles to Sedona, AZ
Old 12-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Road trip from Los Angeles to Sedona, AZ

Doing the road trip in late Dec. if i want to break up the drive into two days, what would be a good mid point or stopping point? I've never been to any major AZ cities like Phoenix/Scottsdate/Tempe, only went to Page several years in a tour bus.

Phoenix seems to be just a big metro city so not too interested.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To solve problems such as this, I find websites which map halfway points between two locations. If you google the question, some possible solutions will pop up.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

10 Best Stops on a Los Angeles to Sedona Road Trip
https://www.theworldwasherefirst.com...ona-road-trip/
Old 12-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We use YouTube to research road-trips. Search just about any town and you’ll get videos to watch. We have discovered some interesting places this way.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
Doing the road trip in late Dec. if i want to break up the drive into two days, what would be a good mid point or stopping point? I've never been to any major AZ cities like Phoenix/Scottsdate/Tempe, only went to Page several years in a tour bus.

Phoenix seems to be just a big metro city so not too interested.

Scottsdale has many upscale resorts at $500-1K/night. Downtown Scottsdale has many bars and restaurants, and is quite popular with snow-bird tourists. Not just a waypoint but also a destination, depending on one's interest.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If Phoenix doesn't excite you maybe you want a road less travelled? How about LA to Joshua Tree, then on to Lake Havasu as a midpoint stay, then across the top of AZ. Or maybe go via Joshua Tree to Oatman AZ for the night, then on to Sedona, skipping Lake Havasu and the London Bridge. Dunno what lodging is in Oatman, but the town greeters are an absolute treat.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Are you just looking for a place to sleep? Or doing some activities at the stopping point?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Are you just looking for a place to sleep? Or doing some activities at the stopping point?

the latter.

We just went to joshua tree for Thanksgiving, so won't be stopping there this time.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I would take Route 66. Overnight in Kingman. Not much for nighttime activities, but the ride would be interesting.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:56 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you been to the Grand Canyon?
Old 12-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Have you been to the Grand Canyon?
haven't been to GC but been to Big Bend and Antelope Valley.

Thinking about going to Hoover Dam (never been there) then stopping by Boulder City for the night. From there to Sedona, is it mostly mountain driving? looks like it from the terrain map. (would like to avoid mountain driving)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-12-06 08-01-26.png (886.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 04:11 AM   #12

Quote:

Thinking about going to Hoover Dam (never been there) then stopping by Boulder City for the night. From there to Sedona, is it mostly mountain driving? looks like it from the terrain map. (would like to avoid mountain driving)
I would say it's not a lot of mountain driving, but you don't really have much choice. The Grand Canyon is so much better than Big Bend.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I would say it's not a lot of mountain driving, but you don't really have much choice. The Grand Canyon is so much better than Big Bend.
I agree - not a lot of mountain driving, part of 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona is the mountain driving where there isn't much choice.

Here's a YouTube video that gives an idea what it's like. Some hairpin turns with steep grades, but very scenic.

https://youtu.be/zNxCl18KUhA

If this route would bother you, then take 40 to Ash Fork, Az, south on 89 to Prescott, then east to Sedona.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:17 AM   #14

We are fans of Palm Springs / Desert & the tramway and hiking trails on top. Not exactly half way unless you count the hours of traffic leaving LA.

Get a fresh date shake on the way out at Sheilds
https://shieldsdategarden.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221208-070828.jpg (453.5 KB, 12 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #15

Flagstaff is around 7,000 feet and Sedona around 4,400 feet in elevation. Snow and ice are a problem in Flagstaff and can be in Sedona on a cold day. 89A is pretty most of the way, but I would not do it in winter. Check to see what areas of the Grand Canyon park are open and closed, as that can change with the weather. The North Rim is closed for the winter. Not sure the trams run in the winter. One resource:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...ter-visits.htm

This is a good trip for April or October.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:57 PM   #16

Long time Arizona (Tucson) resident. Traveled extensively all over the state. You have 3 choices for routes, I-40, I-10, and a middle route on most state highways. All are going to be fairly uninteresting through the desert.

If it were me I would take a long day drive (~8 hrs) to Flagstaff on I-40, spend the night there and then see some things close to Flagstaff before heading down 89A to Sedona.

As others have said, snow can be an issue in December. The interstates are usually plowed and kept passable but you might run into chain requirements. From Flagstaff 89A is the most scenic way to Sedona but there would be a backup route down I-17 then up through Oak Creek that is unlikely to be snowed in.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:10 AM   #17

If you could tell us the types of things you might be interested in seeing/doing it would help in making recommendations. There are lots of ancient native American sites (Anasazi, Sinagua, etc.), Phoenix is a gold mecca, neaar Flagstaff you have Berringer meteor crater, Navaho and Hopi reservations, and much more.

I have crossed Hoover Dam a few times. It is interesting. But if you want a tour you will need to plan ahead and realistically add at least a day to your trip. Water level is extremely low right now and this could be a last chance to see the powerhouse in operation. There is also Parker Dam but not nearly as impressive.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

will probably do route 66 (never been on it)and overnight at Seligman. From there looks like, as ronStar mentioned, I can either go A) 89 South to Prescott then East to Sedona or B) I40 East to Flagstaff then South to Sedona.

the mountain driving from Flagstaff to Sedona doesn't look too bad from the video. We usually go up to the local mountains (Mt. Baldy, 7k ft elevation) during winter for sightseeing and some hiking but we choose days that don't require chains.

What is a good site to check on AZ(Flagstaff in particular) road conditions?
Old 12-19-2022, 03:37 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAttempt View Post
As others have said, snow can be an issue in December. The interstates are usually plowed and kept passable but you might run into chain requirements. .
is there site or something to check on road conditions (particularly chain requirements) in AZ (Flagstaff to Sedona). I found AZ511.com but it does not seem to provide info on chain requirements.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
will probably do route 66 (never been on it)and overnight at Seligman. From there looks like, as ronStar mentioned, I can either go A) 89 South to Prescott then East to Sedona or B) I40 East to Flagstaff then South to Sedona.

the mountain driving from Flagstaff to Sedona doesn't look too bad from the video. We usually go up to the local mountains (Mt. Baldy, 7k ft elevation) during winter for sightseeing and some hiking but we choose days that don't require chains.

What is a good site to check on AZ(Flagstaff in particular) road conditions?

Looks like 66 east of Amboy, Ca is still closed. You can still get to Amboy from the west, but then need to take Kelbaker Road north to I 40, then get back on 66 heading east into Needles.