Join Early Retirement Today

Road Trip: LA to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Road Trip: LA to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

This summer my big vacation is going to be a road trip from LA to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone. I need to stop in Salt Lake City for an overnight as my parents are flying in there (already planned as part of their separate travel arrangements). So I'll be driving from LA to SLC, picking them up at the airport, overnight in SLC, then onto Grand Tetons for a few days before heading to Yellowstone for 5 days.

The drive from LA to SLC is about 10 hrs, and since I'll be doing it solo I will probably break it up with an overnight in St George UT. Still a lot of solo car time, both there and back.

Any thoughts on some good audiobooks to keep me occupied?
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at the offerings at your public library, check the lending period.

If you have an IPad there is a app that will let you download audio books from your library (may also be available on other formats). There are several that are available without constraint, "No Easy Day" and "Argo" come to mind.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Thanks - I have an android smartphone and the newer 8.9 inch Kindle Fire, so anything that loads on either of those would work.

My library's offerings of audiobooks, the last time I checked, was a little limited, but I'll look again, thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
The drive from LA to SLC is about 10 hrs, and since I'll be doing it solo I will probably break it up with an overnight in St George UT. Still a lot of solo car time, both there and back.
Any thoughts on some good audiobooks to keep me occupied?
Amazon.com: the big short audio
I got this from Seattle Public Library and listened to it one while exercising. It will certainly be in your public library It is completely enthralling. Michale Lewis' Liars' Poker is also an audiobook. If you have an I-pod that can link to your car stereo, try (free) history of the Roman Empire or History of Britain available on i-tunes. They are both excellent.

Ha
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Amazon.com: the big short audio
I got this from Seattle Public Library and listened to it one while exercising. It will certainly be in your public library It is completely enthralling. Michale Lewis' Liars' Poker is also an audiobook. If you have an I-pod that can link to your car stereo, try (free) history of the Roman Empire or History of Britain available on i-tunes. They are both excellent.

Ha
Thanks, I read that book (I have Amazon Prime, it was free in their Prime Lending Library for awhile, not sure if it still is or not...it was a terrific read, I literally could not put it down. Maybe I'll try Liar's Poker, though...haven't read or listened to that one yet...

My phone (with Kindle or Audible apps) can hook into my car stereo system directly via an aux cable, or via bluetooth (as can my Fire, via bluetooth) so either one would be fine. I don't have an iPod, iPhone, or iPad tho.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

I like "This American Life," but you need to start downloading now. My wife can't stand Ira Glass' voice, but we've implemented a rule that who ever drives get to choose what the radio plays.

May want to think about a stop (or at least a drive thru) Zion's national park if you've never been.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I like "This American Life," but you need to start downloading now. My wife can't stand Ira Glass' voice, but we've implemented a rule that who ever drives get to choose what the radio plays.

May want to think about a stop (or at least a drive thru) Zion's national park if you've never been.
Good rule I've been to both Zion and Bryce before already. I like TAL too but was hoping for something longer to pass the time...