Road Trips 2024

OK, I checked these out and definitely worth a stop to hike sight see for a few hours. Looks amazing. So I added another night to the trip as otherwise we had a 418 mile drive that day from South Rim to ABQ, so really not time to visit. Good to break that drive up anyway. Thanks for the tip!

I like to stay at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow AZ which might be a good stopping point. It was built in 1930 and designed by Mary Jane Coulter who designed or had a part in several of the Fred Harvey hotels and Grand Canyon buildings: Bright Angel Lodge, Phantom Ranch, The Watchtower, Hopi House, and La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe. La Posada has a nice gift shop and a good restaurant, The Turquoise Room, and the hotel books up about 6 weeks in advance, especially on weekends. The trains including Amtrak go right by the hotel but are not that noisy but if sensitive, book a room away from that area. Some people like to stay there just to watch the trains. There is a Tesla charging station at the hotel.

If you are interested in Colorado Plateau (Navajo, Hopi, Anasazi, etc.) and Pueblo Native American history and art, the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff is worth a visit.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’ve seen La Fonda hotel in Santa Fe, and we are staying at Bright Angel Lodge in one of the cabins.

Do you all use a RV or passenger vehicle for your road trips? We had a travel trailer but since sold it and are trying to line of a west coast trip for spring but NOT using a recreational vehicle just our SUV.

I'm driving my Subaru Outback. I'd love to have a Class B RV or just a simple outfitted van but for winter in the Rockies I want to stay indoors. Plus I'd rather driving my Subie in winter weather.

Had to plan and book this one well in advance because we are staying several nights in Grand Canyon NP on the south rim next April. Never seen it except from the air.

Before that we’ll spend almost a week in Sedona. Never been there either.

Planning to drive a big loop via West Texas - a short Tucson visit on the way in and a short Albuquerque visit on the way back.

I have to brush up on my night sky photography skills because I plan on taking night photos at these locations, dragging out equipment I haven’t used in many years.

While in Albuquerque - the "best hole-in-the-wall" New Mexican restaurant is Padilla's at Indian School and Girard Blvd. Close to the Girard exit off I-40 not far from the I-40 and I-25 interchange.

NOTE*** open only Mon-Fri and *CASH ONLY* but it's not expensive. I recommend the carne adovada burritto (only available Mon-Wed). It is spicy.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...s_Mexican_Kitchen-Albuquerque_New_Mexico.html

Don't miss the Crazy Horse monument when you are in SD. Also the Buffalo Bill center for the West in Cody, WY is worth a full day stop.

You may want to check out Antelope Canyon (Page, AZ). Must tour with Navaho guide but it's well worth the time.

While in Albuquerque - the "best hole-in-the-wall" New Mexican restaurant is Padilla's at Indian School and Girard Blvd. Close to the Girard exit off I-40 not far from the I-40 and I-25 interchange.

NOTE*** open only Mon-Fri and *CASH ONLY* but it's not expensive. I recommend the carne adovada burritto (only available Mon-Wed). It is spicy.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...s_Mexican_Kitchen-Albuquerque_New_Mexico.html
Thanks! We’ve actually spent quite a bit of time in ABQ over the years. One reason we stop is because we love the Rio Grande Nature Center. It’s a great place to bird watch.

Had to plan and book this one well in advance because we are staying several nights in Grand Canyon NP on the south rim next April. Never seen it except from the air.

Before that we’ll spend almost a week in Sedona. Never been there either.

Planning to drive a big loop via West Texas - a short Tucson visit on the way in and a short Albuquerque visit on the way back.

I have to brush up on my night sky photography skills because I plan on taking night photos at these locations, dragging out equipment I haven’t used in many years.

We were at the Grand Canyon last May. We really enjoyed just walking along the Rim Trail from the Geology Museum (north I think) towards the lodge dining area. We ate at the restaurant there and it was very well done. The Rim Trail has great views and all along you will come across polished rock specimens of the strata you see down in the canyon. Plus there are displays which explain the geology from before about 250 million years ago. All the other strata above you is gone, washed away along with any dinosaur remains .

Go to the restaurant at the railroad spur at Williams, going to the North Rim, and ask about the story of the guy who built the bar.

Just back from Ohio (R&R Hall of Fame, Cuyahoga Valley National Park), Leesburg VA (SIL), Luray Caverns, Shenandoah National Park, and Seneca Rocks in WVa. This makes 51 national Parks for DW and I.

We are planning a road trip to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Fall City, Washington, and then on to a cruise out of Seattle to Alaska.

Mount Rushmore faces east, so make sure you visit there early in the day so it is "front-lit". 6 days in Yellowstone is still not enough to see it all!

Yellowstone would be a nice repeat for us if we can identify where to stay and how to avoid noisy accommodations. Once some years ago we stayed in Lake Yellowstone Lodge and it was pretty nice but with hallways it could get a bit noisy at night with kids running about. I imagine that going in late August might alleviate this.

Here is a temperature map from Weather Spark:

image2.jpg

Road trips last maybe an hour here on the island. In '24, I plan to go to Connecticut and fish my old favorite little urban pond near the Massachusetts border. The State puts channel catfish in there. Surely, I'll run up to Northampton and catch music or theater. No freshwater fishing on Oahu. At least none that's easy and practical. Visit friends and family, besides, while I'm back in my old stomping grounds.

I make a photo calendar every year. Decided that the 2025 calendar will feature vintage gas stations. We're going to do several road trips seeking out vintage gas stations in CONUS.

I'll be heading West from FL the last week of March, first confirmed stop Albuquerque (approx 4/2-4) and then to Austin for the eclipse. I'll likely hit Birmingham for a few days after Austin. I'll likely stop a a night or two in MS (Jackson?), the Ozarks, and OK City on the way out and in LA (Shreveport?) on the way to Birmingham after the eclipse. If anyone has any suggestions on cool places/things to do please share. If you'd like to try to meet up somewhere (I always enjoy meeting FIRE folks), message me.

Tuscon, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Tetons, Helena, Bozeman

A mini road trip coming soon. Albuquerque to Durango Co and return

Attachments

• alb to dur map.jpg
    alb to dur map.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm a little worried about that. Niece's MIL lives in Pagosa Springs and they have little snow now. But that can change - a lot. I rented an AWD SUV to make the trip so hopefully we pull it off without a problem.
AWD will help a lot.

We once got stuck in ABQ in a major snowstorm with snow on the ground that lasted almost 2 weeks. My 4WD Jeep Liberty was a champ even getting out of a snow drift parking lot where a big pickup had been spinning its wheels.

Still, I don’t care to travel in snowy conditions and stay well away from that part of the country during snow season. Stay away from freezing weather too as much as I can.:D

Last edited:
Taking a one day road trip to Michigan tomorrow to do some winter photography. Part of the route got 3 feet of snow yesterday and supposed to snow tomorrow.

We plan for a trip from Fl to Md in June for my wife and I to visit her son on his 61st birthday. It will probably be for a week. We haven't seen or visited for about 6 years and time is getting short for us. Driving is getting to be more of a challenge for my back so I am planning on a 2 day drive each way for the 3-4 day visit. After that it may be easier if we buy him a ticket to visit us when his work schedule allows. We may take a shorter trip to western Carolina that is only a day's drive to see how a road trip feels first.
Our plans for distance travel was curtailed in early 2020 with the advent of Covid and after 4 years we are getting past our ability for long flights.

Back
Top Bottom