Join Early Retirement Today

RV trips
Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

RV trips

We are planning on going on some travel trailer trips starting this summer and going into next winter. Since it appears that some of the more popular spots may need reservations, we are trying to figure out where to go. We are new to this and are only wanting to go on short trips at first. I can't leave my golfing buddies for to long.

We live in the St. Louis area and I have reserved a spot at the Indiana Dunes for July. We are also planning on trying out Texas next January for two or three weeks. No ideas yet on where in Texas to visit.

So does anyone have any favorite spots to visit in the Summer? And recommendations for Texas in January?
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
We live in the St. Louis area and I have reserved a spot at the Indiana Dunes for July. We are also planning on trying out Texas next January for two or three weeks. No ideas yet on where in Texas to visit.

So does anyone have any favorite spots to visit in the Summer? And recommendations for Texas in January?
Good for you!

Texas? Wow! Texas is so big and diverse that it is like asking "What should I visit while in Europe." Particularly when RVing.

You could start here:

Order Travel Guide - TravelTex.com

In fact, let me Google that for you:

texas +tourism - Google Search

But let me assure you that, whatever you decide upon, you will not regret it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And recommendations for Texas in January?
If you are seeking temperatures mostly above freezing, I'd recommend you target areas along the South Texas coast or in the Rio Grande Valley - definitely nothing north of San Antonio.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are planning on going on some travel trailer trips starting this summer and going into next winter. Since it appears that some of the more popular spots may need reservations, we are trying to figure out where to go. We are new to this and are only wanting to go on short trips at first. I can't leave my golfing buddies for to long.

Closest best place (that is not too cold) for you to visit would Brazos Bend State Park south of Houston. This is a great time of year to be there nature wise and it's not QUITE as crowded in Jan as other months. Still - if you decide to go there - make reservations! The weekends tend to fill up. Brazos Bend State Park has plenty of birds and gators, hiking and bicycle trails, beautiful scenery and great RV camping facilities. Even an star-gazing observatory that is open on the weekends. It is way out in the boonies, but you are actually only 18 miles or so from Sugarland which has lots of great restaurants, malls and grocery stores and even an Apple store.

From there you are also not that far away from Galveston area and the TX coast. I don't know what the conditions are for RV camping along that part of the TX coast because it was hit really hard by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

North of I-10 in TX is just too cold in Jan!

Now - if you want to go somewhere in addition - keep in mind you will be driving another 100 miles or more!

Audrey

P.S. If you don't mind boondocking for 2 nights, the state park might let you dry-camp in overflow parking if a given weekend is booked - or there might even be a late cancellation.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We ended up reserving spots in Florida instead of Texas. One night at Stephen Foster in the north part of the state, then 4 nights at Myakka River, 4 nights at Collier Seminole, and 2 nights at Hillsboro River. We will play it by ear after that. A lot depends on the weather. We may still go to Texas in the spring.

Our first Rv trip of the year will probably be in April. I still have a few projects I'd like to do on the old trailer before then.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have reserved a spot at the Indiana Dunes for July.

I love the Indiana Dunes! Are you staying at the Indiana Dunes State Park?

Also, surrounding the state park is the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

I'm planning on visiting the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan, this summer. Any thoughts on this place, anyone?
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So does anyone have any favorite spots to visit in the Summer?
We really like Big Bay State Park on Madeline Island, Lake Superior, off of Bayfield, Wis. You ferry over from Bayfield and enjoy camping at a well done state park with a 1.5 mile long sand beach. We bring the kayaks and really enjoy it. If you get tired of the outdoorsy stuff, there's a tiny town with a harbor that caters to the sailing folks where you can dine and shop.

Reservations are hard to get in the summer. We went in the early fall and it was beautiful.