Join Early Retirement Today

RVing--Where is Your Favorite Spot?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

RVing--Where is Your Favorite Spot?

Where do your RVers like to go?
Where is your favorite spot?
Where would your like to go that you have not seen yet?

We are still pretty new to the RV life but are catching on fast. We have traveled about 4000 miles so far and have been in a number of RV parks and even parked in front of my SIL's house for a week. We have endured 16 degree weather with wind chills of zero and blowing snow. We have traveled the deserts in 118 degree heat. We have crossed and recrossed the Rockies. We have driven Calif. 101 thru the Redwoods and stayed at the beach in Oregon. So far out favorite is the west coast of Oregon.

Or next trip will take us East and South; then more South and then back West. A 45 day trek to spend some time with family and for DW to see some of the sights in the Southeast. We will see a lot on this trip and plan on spending some time at or near the beaches of S. Carolina. I want DW to see a "real" beach with sand, warm water and no rocks.

We want to go to Baja and spend some time there. We also want to see Alaska and parts of Canada.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve,
Here is one of my favorite spots here is the link (Hilton Head Harbor) If you are going to South Carolina this was a nice RV park. There also is another park on Hilton Head that looks good too. I also am a fan of the Voyager RV park in Tucson. There are a lot of really nice parks along the coast of Maine we are fans of also. We prefer to camp in the off season so we have seen lots of nights below freezing. But that's what makes the campfire so fun !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Steve, great questions. Here's my Executive Summary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Where do your RVers like to go?
Anywhere and everywhere.
Quote:
Where is your favorite spot?
I don't have one yet but one of the joys of having an RV is the adventure of looking for it.
Quote:
Where would your like to go that you have not seen yet?
Over the next hill.

Our RV is new (to us) and we've had other commitments preventing us from hitting the road. I'm hoping that will change soon.

We love the mountains and the West, and want to spend time there. We want to go back to Canada and someday I (DW will take some convincing) want to make the Alaska trip. I also want to see a Shuttle launch before they retire it in 2010 (or maybe sooner). But more than anything else, I want to experience the feeling of being on the road having no schedule, no time line, no itinerary, only the freedom to go or stay based on how we feel at the moment.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in NYC and I never thought about RVing until one year before ERing. I did 3+ months in 2006 and 6 wks so far this year. I like all the national parks I've been to and hope to learn how to boondock.
Best place - Yosemite

Want to go to Mexico
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My favorite place is Morro Bay, CA. Nice little town and great bay for kayaking and birding. We also like Death Valley, not in the summer and not very good kayaking.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Steve, come see us in Charleston! My favorite beach RV place is at Hunting Island State Park, down near Beaufort, SC. We are going there on September 5th, and I will take some pictures for you.

We've got everything you could need in a beach! In Charleston, I'd check out the James Island County Park, which is not far from Folly Beach, and there is a KOA in Mount Pleasant that is fairly near the beaches at Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island.

Let me know when you are coming and I'll bring over a mess of just-caught crabs or Frogmore Stew (no frogs, just fresh local shrimp, smoked sausage, summer corn, and tiny new potatoes)!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Let me know when you are coming and I'll bring over a mess of just-caught crabs or Frogmore Stew (no frogs, just fresh local shrimp, smoked sausage, summer corn, and tiny new potatoes)!
Mmmm. Can I come too?

I can vouch for both James Island (a high density in-city park that we enjoyed a lot) and the Hunting Island and Beaufort areas. James Island had a shuttle bus into the downtown Charleston area so you don't have to fuss with parking, etc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Steve, come see us in Charleston! My favorite beach RV place is at Hunting Island State Park, down near Beaufort, SC. We are going there on September 5th, and I will take some pictures for you.

We've got everything you could need in a beach! In Charleston, I'd check out the James Island County Park, which is not far from Folly Beach, and there is a KOA in Mount Pleasant that is fairly near the beaches at Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah for the info. We have not yet made an plans but due to the size or our rig we are more limited in where we can actually park the beast. State and county parks are usually too small for us so we will have to see if they have spaces in Jame Island or the KOA. We would love to be near a beach but that is pretty rare.

Frogmore stew sounds a lot like cajun food. Makes my mouth water to think about it. Yum.

Maybe we can have a mini ER Rally there and we can all kick back and enjoy some adult beverages and Frogmore stew.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Steve
Be sure to include the Canyon Country (Bryce, Escalante and Zion) as you plan your West/East journeys. They are good for a week by themselves--lots more if you like to hike high desert.
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Steve
Be sure to include the Canyon Country (Bryce, Escalante and Zion) as you plan your West/East journeys. They are good for a week by themselves--lots more if you like to hike high desert.
nwsteve
Steve,
I could not agree more. That is one reason I live in Utah. We have seen these and other areas several times and never fail to enjoy them again and again. Utah is truly a very unique state with all the contrasts in geology and geography.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am partial to RVing Northern CA, but I have done several long drives through the South and would recommend Hilton Head, SC. The Florida Panhandle also has a number of nice RV parks and public campgrounds, and the beaches do not seem to be extremely crowded if you avoid the resort hotspots, like Panama City, Destin, etc. Have a great trip!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Only been once so far (a rental earlier this month), but we had a great time in CO and NM, mostly staying in state parks (like the one below in CO) and BLM campgrounds. If and when I have the time, I could get to doing this frequently.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote