Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
The Kaderlis seem to be traveling around Mexico with no trouble.

You gotta hand it to them...they must know the safe parts of the country because nothing seems to happen to them that's very bad. Good for them!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
The demand for the drugs comes from the U.S., the guns for the narcos as well (mostly from Texas), the inept drug policy as well. Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.
Darn I thought my state Arizona supplied all the guns to the narcos.

My neighbor Rob Krentz if he were alive would argue your points with you.

3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
Corruption is endemic in both countries, and as for "failed states"...both the U.S. and Mexico are well qualified for the title.
I don't get this comment either. How can you say the US is a failed state, or that corruption is endemic? Sure, there is probably some corruption, but is it significant enough to undercut law enforcement? The local law enforcement around here is very active and pretty aggressive and doing a lot with limited staffs. They even go after the small stuff so it doesn't become big stuff. You can report a crime to your local police/constable/sheriff and not worry about retribution or death threats to your family, and you don't have to pay a bribe for enforcement. You don't have to hire private guards to patrol your houses or neighborhoods. The Feds (Border Patrol) have a very visible presence and heavily patrol the area. Sure, we can get smarter. Just now finally they are inspecting vehicles going south to prevent cash and arms smuggling (what took that so long?). The US side doesn't have murdered mayors and beheaded law enforcement officers. The US officers of the law don't have to cover their faces to do their jobs or be seen on TV.

I just don't see how you can claim equivalence between the US side of the border area and the Mexican side of it on this.

Audrey
Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just now finally they are inspecting vehicles going south to prevent cash and arms smuggling (what took that so long?).
Usually they were leaving that to the Mexican border guards. Perhaps they have decided that that is not good enough?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Usually they were leaving that to the Mexican border guards. Perhaps they have decided that that is not good enough?
Yes, I believe they have decided that is not good enough. That perhaps the Mexican border guards are too overwhelmed, or too compromised, or who knows. Regardless I suspect the Mexican border guards are under increasing threat/pressure from the criminal elements. I think I heard/read somewhere that Mexico has been asked the US to do this for some time as well. The US is also keeping eyes out for reported stolen vehicles.

Also reported on local TV recently was that the cooperative communication between the US and Mexico border has recently broken down. The US law enforcement side interviewed saying that it is now really hard "to find someone to talk to" for cooperatively purposes.

Here is one older reference from early 2009. Looks like at the time Mexico was checking 10% of southbound vehicles - whether this was just triage based on what looked suspicious - who knows. Mexico at the time planned to increase inspections. It looks like some of the US measures we are seeing ramp up today are the result of plans put in early last year. U.S. to Boost Ports of Entry at Mexico Border | CNSnews.com

Audrey
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #26

This reminds me of the 1970s and 1980s, when anyone from the mainland of the UK who went to Belfast on business was told they were crazy.

It turns out that from 1969 to 1997, the entire period of "The Troubles", the homicide rate (per 100,000 people) of Northern Ireland was less than that of the United States, every single year. That's the entire United States, not just South Central.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
This reminds me of the 1970s and 1980s, when anyone from the mainland of the UK who went to Belfast on business was told they were crazy.

It turns out that from 1969 to 1997, the entire period of "The Troubles", the homicide rate (per 100,000 people) of Northern Ireland was less than that of the United States, every single year. That's the entire United States, not just South Central.
So, are you really ready to drive from South Texas to Monterrey, MX on business today? Few locals around here cross the border any more. Are we crazy?

Audrey
Old 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #28
gone traveling

I'm flying to Mexico City next week on business. We'll be driving about two hours out of the city for a technical meeting in an industrial plant. One night in a local hotel, second night at a hotel near the Mexico City Airport before flying home.

No big security concerns, but I will be well-armed with Immodium.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Stay in or close to the tourist towns, away from the border towns where the gangs are and you will be fine. Love Mexico, love the people.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the Canadian government are considering delegating the operation of the border to Homeland security to speed the flow of border traffic.

I suspect with the Mexican border it is the risk of payola.

*BTW we get regular reports from snowbirds crossing the borders. It is a hot topic. Also the customs seems to be applied unevenly depending on the guard. The borders are more consistent than the airports.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #31

Quote:
we get regular reports from snowbirds crossing the borders
kcowan, are you saying that many snowbirds drive down there, rather than fly?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Also reported on local TV recently was that the cooperative communication between the US and Mexico border has recently broken down.
Here is an article in the SA paper on that same subject: Violence tears 'sister cities' apart - San Antonio Express-News
Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
kcowan, are you saying that many snowbirds drive down there, rather than fly?
We don't because we have a car down here but many do so they can use their car for 4-5 months. They always post to see if things have changed on their route down. There does not seem to be any route that is worse than any other. Juarez seems to be slightly worse in activity but there have been no incidents (so far).

There was an incident outside of Tepic (near the federal prison) where banditos put up a road block and hassled tourists. It was after midnight. Ergo everyone says to travel during the day. And cross the border early in the day like between 7 and 10 am. Most advice is to use common sense and avoid lonely stretches of road at night.

Of course, most snowbirds avoid travelling at night even driving to Florida. Night vision is the second thing to go!

The real shame of it all is that these border towns like El Paso used to be wonderful tourist areas. Now people drive through them as quickly as possible.

(And then there was the explosion in Cancun that killed 5 Canadians and 2 Mexicans. It was some kind of gas leak in a fairly new resort. Tragic!)
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, most snowbirds avoid travelling at night even driving to Florida. Night vision is the second thing to go!
Help me- what is first?

Ha
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Help me- what is first?
Day vision. If you wake up blind at night, you won't know it 'til daylight.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is an article in the SA paper on that same subject: Violence tears 'sister cities' apart - San Antonio Express-News
I think this quote sums up the ambivalence:
Quote:
“It’s more or less the last frontier. I don’t know if it’s worth dying for, but I love it.”
Here is a guy who goes there every year and has never had a problem but even he reacts to all the negative stories. I think that really sums up the situation. Those that go to Mexico have no problems other than explaining themselves to their neighbours up north.

I have good friends in Newport Beach and every year they ask whether it is safe before they come down for their 2 weeks in the sun. And every year I tell them not to drink the Koolaid...
Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

where the guns are coming from...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/16/op...urs4.html?_r=1
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #38
gone traveling

I am in San Juan Del Rio (a couple of hours north of Mexico City) tonight, haven't felt the least bit unsafe since I arrived in Mexico a couple of days ago. I am sure there are pockets of violence here, but you can expect that in about every major city around the world, including the US. I've been traveling here on business for over 20 years; while standards of living have vastly improved, the Mexican people are very much aware of the security risks posed by the narcotraficantes, especially in the Northern border states. They are also genuinely concerned about how their image on the international stage has been tarnished by the recent escalation in violence, police corruption, etc and how that will affect future development; they know they still have a long way to go.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM   #39

You all have your rose colored glasses on.

3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great.....

159 convicts escape Mexican prison on U.S. border

159 convicts escape Mexican prison on U.S. border