Salmon fishing...British Columbia

itsmyparty

Recycles dryer sheets
We just returned from a short salmon fishing trip to Campbell River, British Columbia. Stayed at Painter's Lodge. Nice thing there is its quite a nice place to stay...nice accommodations, good restaurants and food and the guys (and/or gals) can go fishing while us non-fishing people can just enjoy the facilities. Stayed there 3 nights and then 2 nights in Victoria. The guys got their limit each day...sockeye,pinks,chinook. Disappointing part..won't get the fish for 12 weeks since we weren't able to carry home ourselves since we weren't going directly back. But we'll be happy when it arrives. Got to say...will be the most expensive fish dinners we'll ever have had! But such a fun experience..well worth it.:)

Boy, would I love to do something like that again. I say again because I did go on a "fly in" to Canada back in 03. I've always loved Canada and spent a lot of time there on business but never pleasure. Then in 2002 me brother asked me to go with him and two other guys for a week of fishing. The fishing was decent but it's all about being out in the open with friends, doing your own cooking, having some drinks, eating what you catch but a lot of steaks in case they aren't biting.

I flew from Florida to Ohio to meet up with my brother and two friends. Next day we loaded up a van with all the gear and enough food for a week. Drove to north of Flint, MI and spent the night. Next day drove to Wawa, Ontario and spent the night. Next morning we just had about an hours drive to the fishing base camp and had breakfast with the owners of the fly in camps. These guys had been up there numerous times. My first. Blueberrys were in season and the camp owner fixed fresh blueberry pancakes and sausages. How good was that!

Then came the experience of my life. Loaded all our gear, food and bait we bought at the base camp onto this float plane. Bought our fishing licenses. Ready to go. What a process. Everything has to be weighed to suit the limits of the plane. Should have heard it. "Johnnie, you have to lose 20 pounds in a hurry". Anyway, off we go, me in the jump seat as this is my first trip. You have to wear these ear mufflers as you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think. Lot of noise and a lot of vibration. We fly about 100 miles and land on this lake in the middle of nowhere. I find out it's the only cabin on the lake. This cabin was built by flying materials in by helicopter. It was very comfortable. Great time was had by all. As you can tell, I loved it and love to talk about one of the greatest experiences of my life. I could be an outdoorsman easily.

Sorry to take up so much of your time, but I'm a frustrated writer and should have written a book. I could have taken those five days on the lake and written a novel. My Canadian vacation in a nutshell. Now I want to go to Vancouver and fish for salmon. That reminds me, I want to tell you about my first Coho salmon fishing trip on Lake Michigan. Later.

Last edited:
Got to say...will be the most expensive fish dinners we'll ever have had!

You need to adjust your mental accounting ..........the trip is charged to the
rest/recreation/mental health budget. The fish dinners are free and a bonus
:)

You need to adjust your mental accounting ..........the trip is charged to the
rest/recreation/mental health budget. The fish dinners are free and a bonus
:)

Totally agree with you! It was alot of fun for us all...in every way!!:)

Back
Top Bottom