Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

San Diego tips and tricks
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

San Diego tips and tricks

Hi all,

I'm going to San Diego with my kids 15/10/8 B/B/G next Monday thru Saturday. We're tenatively planning on:

Sea World
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Wild Animal Park
USS Midway
Legoland

plus possibly:

beach
art museum
model train museum

if we have time. I'm looking for:

• any tips and tricks for the first five items above, especially ways to get in cheaper (combo tickets, AAA membership, whatever),
  • tips on which day of the week is best for any of the above (I'm assuming weekdays are less crowded in general),
  • any special things not to miss that we might miss if we didn't know about them ("Don't miss the goats at SeaWorld" for example).

Thanks in advance,

2Cor521

[1] As far as I know there aren't goats at SeaWorld. I was just trying to give an idea of the kind of thing that touristy folks like me might miss by thinking SeaWorld was all about Shamu and friends.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They have the "snore and roar" program at the wild animal park
which is something that's a bit unique. I'm not sure what the cost
but a link w/ info is below ...

San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park Special Experiences - Roar & Snore Sleepovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to San Diego with my kids 15/10/8 B/B/G next Monday thru Saturday. We're tenatively planning on:

Sea World
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Wild Animal Park
USS Midway
Legoland

plus possibly:

beach
art museum
model train museum

if we have time. I'm looking for:

• any tips and tricks for the first five items above, especially ways to get in cheaper (combo tickets, AAA membership, whatever),
  • tips on which day of the week is best for any of the above (I'm assuming weekdays are less crowded in general),
  • any special things not to miss that we might miss if we didn't know about them ("Don't miss the goats at SeaWorld" for example).

Thanks in advance,

2Cor521

[1] As far as I know there aren't goats at SeaWorld. I was just trying to give an idea of the kind of thing that touristy folks like me might miss by thinking SeaWorld was all about Shamu and friends.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

I was at Sea World a couple of summers ago. Showing my AAA card got me a big break on tickets. We went on a weekend. It was very crowded and very, very hot. Kids loved it, though. I'd suggest going on a weekday if possible, and dress/prepare for hot weather.

Legoland, as I remember, now has some kind of huge aquarium next to it. We didn't go in, but it looked interesting.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Its been a while since I've been to Legoland but it seems like it was more focused for little kids (under 8 years old.)

Disneyland/ California Adventure isn't too far away, although they did just raise their prices.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I lived in San Diego from 1977-1984, and my daughter was born in the big pink Naval Hospital in Balboa Park in 1978.

We spent a LOT of time at the zoo. If you go to the zoo, allow plenty of time. The zoo is huge and fascinating and going to the zoo is my favorite activity in San Diego. We liked it a lot better than the Wild Animal Park, although people differ on that.

The San Diego Zoo has a big gift shop, too, and at that time had some really neat (but pricy) stuffed animals and other souvenirs that your kids might like. Of course this information is 30 years old.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You can let the 15 year old skip legoland to save money. The 10 year old will probably find many things too young for their taste. .

If you have time before or after Midway walk down through Seaport Village and walk around the Gas Lamp district. When I lived in SD (1991 -1996) the Gas Lamp was a very small oasis surrounded by some very bad areas. They have done a fantasic job of cleaning up the area along with the new stadium.

I take my family on an annual trip to coronado and the beach in front of the Del is great.

I would recommend mid week as much as possible through labor day. Midway might be better than the zoo/seaworld/legoland on the weekend. I don't know about the animal park

AAA is probably your best bet for discount tickets unless you have a link through an employer or prof. organization.

Enjoy your trip!
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We spent a LOT of time at the zoo. If you go to the zoo, allow plenty of time. The zoo is huge and fascinating and going to the zoo is my favorite activity in San Diego. We liked it a lot better than the Wild Animal Park, although people differ on that.
The San Diego Zoo has a big gift shop, too, and at that time had some really neat (but pricy) stuffed animals and other souvenirs that your kids might like. Of course this information is 30 years old.
FWIW that info worked for us 1994-97 too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We were there in 2005. I would recommend Tuesday to Thursday for the big places. The Gas Lamp district is nice but pretty small. The Wild Animal Park is great. But it is no replacement for the Zoo. You do ride around though so maybe have it as a break between other walking days.

Coronado Island is a good place to go for lunch after doing the naval stuff.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

There are many ways to save on tickets for the big parks. This site might be a good start to check on some options.

Costco has the "San Diego 3-for-1 Pass" (Seaworld, Zoo, Wild Animal Park) for $99 incl. shipping/handling

For some the annual Zoo/Animal park membership works out too. Comes (at least used to) with free guest admission passes. Not sure those can be used on the first visit?
U1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When you go to the SD Zoo, you'll want to take the double-decker bus ride. Do it fairly soon after you arrive to get the lay of the land, then walk after that. Note: Try to sit on top and on the right side of the bus. Seemed like everything the driver/tour guide talked about was on the right side.

Enjoy!
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Coronado Island is a good place to go for lunch after doing the naval stuff.
Ditto. Check out the Hotel Del Coronado; great beach and a nice place to enjoy a cocktail. FYI, you can ride the Old Town Trolly to many destinations (includiong Balboa Park, USS Midway, and Coronado Island), or use it to take a general tour of the area.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Ditto. Check out the Hotel Del Coronado; great beach and a nice place to enjoy a cocktail. FYI, you can ride the Old Town Trolly to many destinations (includiong Balboa Park, USS Midway, and Coronado Island), or use it to take a general tour of the area.
I love Coronado & the Silver Strand....rent some bikes & pedal to Imperial City for some kickass fish tacos. Take the kids to Old Town...its cheap & good food.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everybody!!!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #14

I liked the harbor cruise also. Boat captain explains the area and you used to be able to get really close to the navy ships. The USS Carl Vincent (carrier) was in port and to see it from the water level is great. Many other great sights on the harbor cruise.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego, seaworld, zoo