Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I've been to a few nice wineries around Sante Fe and Albuquerque. It also gets you off the beaten track to see some of the country side.
A very pretty winery and in the ABQ metro area is Casa Rondena Winery in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (north of downtown a few miles). Nice way to spend the afternoon.
Casa Rondeņa | Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM Winery & Events

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
gone traveling

I liked:
- Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
- Palace of Governors
- the cathedral with its spiral staircase
- the sculpture garden/foundry
- the architecture in general
- the High Road to Taos with its mission churches
- at Taos, the Millicent Rogers jewelry & pottery museum
- at Taos. the "earthship" homes on the bluffs west of town
- north of Taos a few miles, the high bridge over the Rio Grande Gorge
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We loved Sedona and the back way up to Jerome is cool. Jerome is OK for lunch. We stayed over a historic saloon there. It was historic alright, I could still smell 100 year old cigar smoke.

We did stay here a couple of times. It's very nice. I recommend bringing your wallet. The restaurant was great too.

L'Auberge de Sedona | A Luxury Sedona Resort
I have lived in Phoenix for more than 40 years, and only visited Jerome last year. It may be hard to believe, because we have been to Sedona numerous times. Sometimes, people from out of town visit local places in our backyard that we do not think of paying a visit. Go figure!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #24

i have attached a copy of our trip story to Santa Fe and Taos. If you have any questions, PM me, i am glad to reply
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NEW MEXICO TOUR 2016.pdf (857.6 KB, 46 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
A very pretty winery and in the ABQ metro area is Casa Rondena Winery in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque (north of downtown a few miles). Nice way to spend the afternoon.
Casa Rondeņa | Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM Winery & Events
We love the winery recommendation! Looks like a very nice spot for a relaxing afternoon.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

A good place to eat is Rancho de Chimayo outside of Santa Fe.
inmygardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
i have attached a copy of our trip story to Santa Fe and Taos. If you have any questions, PM me, i am glad to reply
Thanks Souschef. Tremendous write-up! I'm printing it out along with the thread as well. I'm an IPA fan so I'll keep my eye out for those labels : )
Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmygardn View Post
I pulled Rancho de Chimayo up on Yelp and it looks great. I had not seen this one yet so we'll keep this one on the list for the trip. The courtyard with the sculptures looks like fun.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I agree, as a somewhat local resident to Santa Fe (about 45 mins for me), it is nothing special and basically tourist trap.
Interesting that the locals view it this way. I've been to Santa Fe perhaps 20 times (had business in Rio Rancho) and, yes, while it is a touristy area, for those of us from the East/West coasts, we find the place charming, interesting and beautiful. It is just sooo different from what we're used to.

Here on the East coast I live in a tourist town (it's our only industry) and view my town as a tourist trap and sometimes can't understand how anyone could actually enjoy themselves here but...people love it.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #30

Quote:
+100!!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Yep. +1
Old 04-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Those photos & locations pretty much mirror what I saw & enjoyed. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

It looks like Rancho de Chimayo ends up on the must do list based on all the forum recommendations.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Loved the International Folk Art Museum - it's amazing.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Just went through Santa Fe a few days ago. Took the Turquoise Trail from Albuquerque. Went through Madrid, the town filmed in Wild Hogs. Nice ride. Visited the Cathedral Basilica, Loretta Chapel, San Miguel Chapel, and the Georgia O'keeffe museum. Shopped in the shops surrounding the plaza. Excellent historic buildings in Santa Fe.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

On your drive through Arizona check out Montazuma Castle NM and Walnut Canyon 'M. Both have interesting cliff dwellings. Also stop at the Petrified Forest National Park.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #37

DW & I went thru Santa Fe on our way to Taos & Red River (family reunion) in July 2016; have been in this area several times over the years. I'd recommend/second the following:

- Acoma reservation; beautiful pottery (although delicate, ours has survived 30+ yrs & 15 moves )
- Tram to Sandia Peak in ABQ.
- Spend a few hours in Santa Fe's old square by the mission. Touristy, yes but, worthy of a few hours of your time.
- Eat lunch at Cafe Pasquale's in Old Town Santa Fe; great mole, wonderful mix of locals & tourists.
- Spend at least an afternoon in old town Taos; preferably an overnight (recommend 'The Historic Taos Inn' if you do stay overnight)
- Visit Rio Grande Gorge bridge
- If you're a fan of geography, want a pretty drive or, it's kind of on your way in/out of Taos, I'd recommend driving the Enchanted Circle as described in a post above.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
DW & I went thru Santa Fe on our way to Taos & Red River (family reunion) in July 2016; have been in this area several times over the years. I'd recommend/second the following:

- Acoma reservation; beautiful pottery (although delicate, ours has survived 30+ yrs & 15 moves )
- Tram to Sandia Peak in ABQ.
- Spend a few hours in Santa Fe's old square by the mission. Touristy, yes but, worthy of a few hours of your time.
- Eat lunch at Cafe Pasquale's in Old Town Santa Fe; great mole, wonderful mix of locals & tourists.
- Spend at least an afternoon in old town Taos; preferably an overnight (recommend 'The Historic Taos Inn' if you do stay overnight)
- Visit Rio Grande Gorge bridge
- If you're a fan of geography, want a pretty drive or, it's kind of on your way in/out of Taos, I'd recommend driving the Enchanted Circle as described in a post above.
Thanks Huston. Is the Enchanted Circle drive the Turquoise Trail?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDr View Post
Thanks Huston. Is the Enchanted Circle drive the Turquoise Trail?
No. The Turquoise Trail is btwn Santa Fe & Albuquerque. The Enchanted Cirle is a circular road north of Santa Fe. If you come from Santa Fe, you'll enter the Enchanted Circle near Taos (7 o'clock), proceed clockwise to Red River (@ 12 o'clock), then around to Angel Fire (@ 5 o'clock), then back down to Santa Fe...or, elsewhere. A map is below.
Attached Images
File Type: gif IMG_0072.GIF (43.2 KB, 66 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, got it. Looks like I have two cool drives to take while I'm there. Thanks for clarifying!