Scuba Diving Holiday with PADI Certification

Plenty of dive shops will do a cert package and combine it w a local hotel. Rainbow Reef down in Key Largo does this. I would encourage you to do at least your class work in advance so you don't spend your vacation indoors. The dive shops can set you up for the e- coursework.

I would just figure out where you want to go, then find the good dive shops and talk to a few of them. Definitely allow extra days as winds etc can make some days not good for diving.

To the poster above who mentioned "surfacing by him/herself".....ummm that's a basic diving rule to not dive alone, so I suggest you take a PADI refresher.

To the poster above who mentioned "surfacing by him/herself".....ummm that's a basic diving rule to not dive alone, so I suggest you take a PADI refresher.

Actually, there are several SCUBA agencies that offer technical training and certification for diving solo. It's not my cup of tea and I wouldn't personally recommend doing so, but to each his own.

We are avid divers and glad to hear you’re interested in exploring the underwater world! I would agree with many that picking the right dive op is the key (along with your plans for warm water and great visibility....wouldn’t do it any other way!). A couple of other things to consider:

1) Consider topside activities in addition to diving. There are a lot of beautiful places to dive in this world so plan your vacation where you would also enjoy visiting. Is a 5 star resort more your style, or is it experiencing how locals live in a new country?

2) Save time by doing your Padi online course at home...this way, you can have more time to dive and enjoy your vacation

3) Consider doing a discover dive first, to see how you like it (Don’t recall you stating it above) before booking a whole trip around it. But, be sure it’s with an excellent dive op in excellent not dive conditions

4) Consider doing private lessons. More important to have a great first experience with your instructor in good diving conditions that what you will actually see.

5) scubaboard is a great resource, but with anything online, be cautious about what you read....

6) Diving can be an expensive hobby...almost $200 for one shore dive at one spot in Australia but you can also find amazing dives for only $25 a tank with a private guide and boat!

I have a pacemaker that also limits depth.

You'll need to have your dr fill out a medical form to get certified and also make sure your pacemaker is certified to handle pressure changes. The following link is the PADI medical form.

https://www.padi.com/sites/default/files/documents/padi-courses/2.1.5 rstc medstate v201.pdf

This is something to not take lightly, especially with a heart condition. Scuba diving is very strenuous and even more so for inexperienced divers.

A friend of mine thought he was in good health until he went scuba diving not long after getting certified and had a heart attack under water. Will he did survive the attack, he had major complications, ending up in a wheelchair and died a few years later from the complications.

Retired PADI Divemaster

Back
Top Bottom