Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Scuba Diving Holiday with PADI Certification
Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scuba Diving Holiday with PADI Certification

Has anyone ever taken a vacation that included PADI certification? We are thinking of doing this, we have no diving experience. But We do have the PADI Instruction book kind of like having the T-Shirt LOL.

What would be ideal is a vacation some place that has good diving, (In warm waters with no need for a wetsuit) that includes the full open water certification instruction & practical. In fact an all inclusive package would be the best ideal. It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

I know there are lots of experienced divers here, but we have never done any at all, snorkeling is our limit. It would be great if we could just turn up and use their equipment as we have none of our own.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a certified diver (30 years exp, over 500 dives). My biggest concern with your plan is if you want AI for the alcohol; alcohol (over-indulgence of) and diving do not mix. Please provide a little more insight into your ideas re: vacation.
My other concern is for resort certifications; in some instances these certification courses are "short-cutted" with abbreviated instruction. There has been a joke in the diving community that PADI stands for "pay and dive" in reference to these resort certifications.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
I am a certified diver (30 years exp, over 500 dives). My biggest concern with your plan is if you want AI for the alcohol; alcohol (over-indulgence of) and diving do not mix. Please provide a little more insight into your ideas re: vacation.
Ha Ha, no we do not drink other than a few glasses of wine. I just wanted all the Airfares, Certifications, Hotel Etc included.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think a few people in the Northern cold water states will do the classwork & pool work at home. Then do the final cert (open water dives) in a warm water location. At least that was my plan
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I think a few people in the Northern cold water states will do the classwork & pool work at home. Then do the final cert (open water dives) in a warm water location. At least that was my plan
We are in Florida, but would like to go to a lot further south, so this may end up being our option. Once I figure out where to start we will make that choice. Here in town we can do a class for 4 days to get certified, but the water is too cold for us and we do not want to buy wetsuits. We figured a week to 10 day vacation would do the trick.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

Clarifying: you are interested in your Open Water certification, correct?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I would suggest that you get Certified in advance. Just reading the manual and taking a test doesn't prepare you for emergency situations that can occur. Certification only takes a few days to complete. Reputable dive centers won't rent equipment to you without a cert, and those that do, I would be afraid to rely on their gear.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

I also did a beginners thing in St Thomas() (Tortola) that we did pool work in the am then shallow dive in the afternoon. Like no lower than 20' or so. Wasn't ideal as I like watching all the life on the reefs. But you could do it to see if it agrees with you

*I forgot you are in Fla....look at the avatar dummy
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

Scrapr's suggestion is valid (and commonly done). That way your vacation is spent diving and not in the classroom (again, my concern is for resort cert programs that don't even use classrooms). You can do the classroom and pool work in Florida and then do your check-out dives somewhere south. Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and four suggestions but there may not be access to AI resorts.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Clarifying: you are interested in your Open Water certification, correct?
Yes
Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the consensus. To learn more a great website is

www.scubaboard.com
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmore View Post
I would suggest that you get Certified in advance. Just reading the manual and taking a test doesn't prepare you for emergency situations that can occur. Certification only takes a few days to complete. Reputable dive centers won't rent equipment to you without a cert, and those that do, I would be afraid to rely on their gear.
We wanted to do it all on the vacation. Time is not an issue we would arrange accordingly. Locally they want you to buy equipment. We do not want to do that initially. We Definitely would like to combine the whole thing into a vacation.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We wanted to do it all on the vacation. Time is not an issue we would arrange accordingly. Locally they want you to buy equipment. We do not want to do that initially. We Definitely would like to combine the whole thing into a vacation.
I live in NJ, and took the coursework and indoor pool lessons here, then took the certifying open water dives down in Fort Lauderdale. Granted it could be different in Florida, but there was no requirement to buy equipment. Of course, I had to come to pool lessons with appropriate diving fins/mask/snorkel, but no requirement where to buy them. I chose to buy them from the store giving the lessons, but only because their prices were reasonable (and while there are choices, nothing like in South Florida).
Are you sure you have to buy equipment above and beyond mask/snorkel/fins?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned in the OP, we would rather jut go some place nice and warm like The Virgin Islands, Cozumel Mexico, Hawaii, The FL Keys or wherever. That way we do not have to carry anything with us. Rent ALL our equipment and do all the Certification while we are there.

That would be the Ideal, we could do the classroom stuff locally, but we would rather do the lot in one go.

And honestly, the main reason I do not want to do it locally as they start at 6am. I do not do 6am anymore. If they started at 9am it would be a different story. I cannot remember the last time I got up at 5am for anything. I know it is a little silly but it is what it is. If on vacation and I have to stagger to a classroom a little early that would be different and a little easier.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Plenty of what you are looking for in Cozumel.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #16

I would only add to this discussion by encouraging anyone seeking an open water certification to be very careful about choosing a reputable dive shop/operation with instructors that have a successful track record. A bit of patience and enthusiasm for instructing new divers is also helpful.

IOW, ask around.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Go for it. But continue with courses once you get home.

I've been diving almost 40 years all over the world, but have only dived a couple of times in recent years. I tore my PADI card up, and would go through training again if I was going to dive--for safety sake.

You cannot have enough training. I remember one night diving San Clemente Island off the coast of San Diego, and looking down and seeing a sea lion between my legs. Scared the hell out of me. And surfacing 10 miles off the coast of Cozumel at midnight, and the dive boat was 1/4 mile away--with me bobbing on the surface by myself.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #18

OP

I Googled: padi certification vacation package

This is one one site that came up, but there were lots of them: https://www.shermanstravel.com/advic...ion-in-4-steps

Sounds like there are lots of options, including doing the classroom stuff on-line or at home before the trip.

A travel agent may be able to help.

FWIW, I got PADI certified about 25 years ago. Open water dive was in a quarry in Missouri. I did it for kicks, and never used it afterwards. If I ever decided to reinstate my certification, I would probably do want you want to do.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Has anyone ever taken a vacation that included PADI certification? We are thinking of doing this, we have no diving experience. But We do have the PADI Instruction book kind of like having the T-Shirt LOL.

What would be ideal is a vacation some place that has good diving, (In warm waters with no need for a wetsuit) that includes the full open water certification instruction & practical. In fact an all inclusive package would be the best ideal. It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

I know there are lots of experienced divers here, but we have never done any at all, snorkeling is our limit. It would be great if we could just turn up and use their equipment as we have none of our own.
Breathing with a second stage regulator is easy. If you have a pool at home you can practice with a surface supplied air system. It will prepare you for any scuba adventure. I posted a video on YouTube recently on a DIY surface supplied air system using an oil free compressor, air filter, air breathing hose and second stage regulator. I use it to perform underwater pool repairs/maintenance. It works well.

As for dive locations, I would recommend offshore reefs in the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, St Thomas, and South Florida. There are also a lot of fresh water springs in Florida for scuba diving.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

I highly recommend Couples Negril. I'm an advanced diver and went diving with them recently. They were excellent at teaching new divers and they offer all levels of certification. The resort itself is all-inclusive and reasonable. There is an extra charge for the courses. They are so laid back, YA MON!
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote