Securing the house for extended trips - recommendations/tips?

pullin

Dryer sheet aficionado
As full time workers, my wife and I have never exceeded 3 weeks on a vacation. With FIRE growing near, we can finally plan trips measured in months, rather than weeks. We've bought our "retirement" RV already, and are gleefully poring over maps and planning journeys, but we've never "shut down" the house for that long.

I would love to hear recommendations from those who routinely leave their house for months at a time. Have you made any plumbing or wiring modifications for this? What do you do with fridge/freezer? Stop your mail? Or is there some type of service that can forward it? I assume you (like us) get neighbors to remove flyers and stuff to avoid signaling thieves. We have a trusted lawn service (who has keys to the gates).

Any recommendations or tips would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance. I'm counting down the days, and want to be ready!:dance:

I did quite a bit on my home and system for extended trips. I have only been gone for about a month thus far, but plan on being gone 3 months this winter. I do not have neighbors do anything.

I have two Nest thermostats. I keep the temperature at 50 when I am gone, and can check or adjust my temperature from a distance.

I have a robust monitored simplisafe alarm system, with one WiFi camera in the house. The system also has a freeze alarm.

I have a hardwired Samsung security camera system, with 11 cameras. Two of those are in the house. I can record 37 days at the rate I have now, with a continuous looping. I can see the cameras from my phone or laptop.

I always shut my water main off. If I forget, I have a WiFi enabled water main valve and can shut it off from anywhere in the world.

I have a FakeTV, and Insteon light switches for the main lights in my house.

Almost all of my bills are automatically electronically paid, and statements are emailed. I put my mail on hold with the USPS, and it is delivered when I return. If I see a paper statement, I set it up for electronic delivery.

This Winter, I am probably going to use the weekly USPS mail forwarding service, for like $20 a week.

I put a filter in my gmail for any statements to be put in a different folder so I do not miss any. I also have Quicken invoice/bill reminders set up.

I have a large deck box if I miss any Amazon, FedEx, or UPS deliveries. Odds are, it can sit in the box, out of the weather, for a long time until I get back. The UPS guy said he wished everyone had one. It's great for everyday use.

I have my driveway plowed, the grass can typically wait until I return.

All my data gets backed up to the Google Cloud. My Laptop has a separate backup area, but the same file structure. I copy over the main files I use via the network, and can get any files I need from the cloud.

If I lose WiFi access, I am screwed...

"I have a large deck box if I miss any Amazon, FedEx, or UPS deliveries. Odds are, it can sit in the box, out of the weather, for a long time until I get back. The UPS guy said he wished everyone had one. It's great for everyday use."

Did you put a sign on the box so the delivery people know to put your package in there?

wouldn't that tend to alert thieves?

"I have a large deck box if I miss any Amazon, FedEx, or UPS deliveries. Odds are, it can sit in the box, out of the weather, for a long time until I get back. The UPS guy said he wished everyone had one. It's great for everyday use."

Did you put a sign on the box so the delivery people know to put your package in there?

wouldn't that tend to alert thieves?

I have a sign on my door. The deck box is right next to the door. The sign cannot be seen from the road. No one can tell if a package is in there or not. The alternative is for the package itself to be seen from the road, or me having to coordinate picking up a package.

Most delivery people do it, but sometimes Amazon delivery folks do not.

If UPS holds a package, it's $5. Sometimes what I order is not even worth it. I would rather the package be in the box for a month than the package siting out in the open, through rain or snow, for a month.

I have a hardwired Samsung security camera system, with 11 cameras. Two of those are in the house. I can record 37 days at the rate I have now, with a continuous looping. I can see the cameras from my phone or laptop.

Senator-
How tough was that to set up? Sounds good.

I had a neighbor who's toilet supply line let go when they were on a weekend getaway, house was flooded when they got home. I leave a light on when I'm away but that's about the only thing I do, if I were to go away for a month with nobody home I'd probably shut off the main water line

Apart from the usual we moved everything possible to email and electronic payment. Today, we get very little snail mail.

We made certain that each of us had two different ways of accessing cash and/or credit. We moved to a credit card that did not charge a hidden 2.5 percent fee on foreign transactions and used the same exchange rate as xe.com

We found that shopping around for good out of country medical took some work. The easier it was the more expensive the policy was and the less advantageous. We finally deal directly with a firm that provided good coverage AND allowed us to significantly lower the premiums by way of increasing the deductable to $5K.

Turn off the water main, empty ice trays and turn off ice makers, forward mail, Comcast goes to vacation mode, RV antifreeze in the drains so they don't freeze or dry out, turn down the heat or air, open cabinet doors under sinks for circulation during winter, turn off breaker for electric water heater, set timers on a few lights. We also put a baggie of ice in the freezer. If it's melted, we know the power has been out and we should pitch the food. If not, it serves up the first welcome home cocktail while the ice maker gets going.

When we were snowbirding 6+6 Our home at Woodhaven Lakes was a complete shutdown. Winterize means blowing out water from the pipes, HWH, Toilet, and external hose fixtures. Pipes, HWH, bowls and drains all were filled with RV anti freeze. All mail forwarded to our winter mailbox, newspaper deliveries stopped.Electricity shut down at inside box, and outside at the meter. Park security did door, window and storage shed checks.
The Park model was totally cold and sealed all winter.

After we bought a regular home, basically closed down the house the same way, except that electricity was left on for the gas furnace only. Turned off the water "at the street", and did a pressure relief and partial drain of HWH then filled drains and bowls with antifreeze.

We have two battery powered remote (LaCrosse) thermometers, given to neighbors on both sides, as well as a key for emergency access. Also contact numbers for our kids 65 miles away.

We left the furnace on, set @ 40 degrees. In retrospect, had it been available would have bought a low temperature alarm similar to this..
https://www.amazon.com/Lumastrobe-Temperature-Warning-Light/dp/B004FRLGPM

Of all the security procedures, we considered shutting the water off from the street, to be the most important. The fear was always freeze, pipe bursting, continuous water flow and the damage it could do.

We do most of the above. Is there any reason for "RV" antifreeze as opposed to the normal stuff you buy at the auto store ?

We also unplug all electronics (TV, computers, etc..) to avoid damage from blackouts. I also block all the windows and sliding doors with doweling or broomsticks. The poor mans security choice... :LOL:

I used to have 2 homes, so I'd leave one or the unoccupied for 2-4 months at a time. Shut off the water for sure. Empty the fridge of anything that can spoil, but leave it running. Heat at 50. Some lights on timers, ideally some kind of multi color changing light that kind of looks like a TV if behind curtains or blinds. Hide or remove any irreplaceable valuables. A security sign if not a security system. Cameras and all that sound great but I never got that sophisticated 10 years ago. Today I would probably be doing this.

The main things to me was to

1) Avoid damage to the house from things like flooding, thus turning the water off, keeping some heat on.

2) Make the house look occupied to the drive-by thief--lights, no flyers on the front door/porch, kept up yard, etc.; and less vulnerable--security system or sign.

3) Minimize the damage from a professional thief or someone who knows I am gone and either knows how to disable my security system or figures they can get in and out fast enough--so I may try to hide things better (yes, I know a pro probably knows everywhere to look), and also have neighbors keep an eye on things so that a door or window doesn't stay open such that wildlife gets in and causes more damage.

Also, the less said about going away the better. Be careful on social media. I'm also a little paranoid that if you do something like stop a newspaper, mail, garbage service, cleaning service, etc, someone associated with one of those businesses may have a friend who'd like to know who's away and has left their house an easy target.

I'm thinking antifreeze in 5 toilets could do a number on our septic tank when we return home and flush them. Is there anything less toxic we could use to winterize the johns?

We do most of the above. Is there any reason for "RV" antifreeze as opposed to the normal stuff you buy at the auto store ?

:

I definitely don't post vacation photos until we are home. A friend posts regular (and very fun) travelogues on FB, but she also has her adult kids checking the house every day while she's gone.

I once hid a piece of jewelry so effectively that I couldn't find it when I got home. It went missing for 2 years until we did some redecorating/reflooring and had to take every single thing out of that floor of the house!

iend who'd like to know who's away and has left their house an easy target.

On the subject of packages -- create logins for UPS, USPS, FedEx and sign up for their delivery alerts so you'll know when there's a package on the way and who sent it.

We were only away for 10 days last Christmas, but shortly after we left I got an alert that there was a package on the way. When I looked up the shipper online, I saw that they made gift baskets. I didn't want something that might have food in it sitting out in the daytime heat and possibly attracting rodents at night, so once I got the "delivered" message from UPS I called a neighbor and asked her to pick it up. Turned out it was a totally unexpected thank-you gift from a group I had volunteered for and I would have had a lot of melted chocolate if I hadn't known it was there.

Small but important point. Shutting off the water for most people means turning off the main valve, inside the house. Usually that is on an incoming pipe that could be subject to freeze and burst.... thus, the importance of having the water turned off by "the city" at the street, where the valve is below the freeze level.
A lesson learned back in 1980, when the main line from the street was only turned off at the entrance inside the house. $$$!
For a short term "away", leaving a distant faucet open to a trickle can work, but I've never felt comfortable with that.

Thought just came to me, 'cuz we lost power twice in an electrical storm just last night. What happens if the GFI, or the main fuse box circuit shuts off. What happens when the internet connection goes down?

Last edited:
We had a vacation home (that we now downsized to) for a number of years. Sometimes I was there every week. Sometimes a month would go by before we got over. 2 X's we came over in Winter and the furnace was not working. Emergency call! The one time I turned the water on and nothing came out.....for about 15 seconds. It was that close to frozen pipes

Since then we make sure it is serviced. The other thing we did was change out our washer/dryer hoses to stainless. The rubber hoses can break down after a period and split. We were over often enough that we did not turn off the water and drain pipes

We have a WiFi thermostat so can monitor that. Also makes it funny to turn the heat up/down when Mrs Scrapr is home and I'm out of town

Do much of what others have already posted...have lawn mowed, get snow removed, run Fake TV (for $40 it's great!..I leave it on in the front (living room) year-round), lights on timers, thermostat turned down (with fresh batteries installed), water main turned off, notify USPS (they hold mail for 30 days or less, or forward for longer periods), up/down shades on first floor adjusted so no one can see inside without climbing on a ladder, bag ice in freezer (notifies me of a thaw & also have ice on return), notify neighbor to keep an eye on the place.

As I 'snowbird' for up to 7 months, in true LBYM style, for extended absences I also notify the Solid Waste Dept. of the township of my departure and return dates...and get a credit on my water bill for not putting trash out for pick-up. :)

omni

I shut off the water, hold mail (a friend picks it up monthly from the post office since they only hold it a month-looking into forwarding)
Have monitored security system, ip cameras and a locked driveway gate.
Have someone plow our driveway. If a light snow, we have someone make tracks up to the gate. Set thermostat at 50.

It is less expensive and also nontoxic. Ethylene glycol will kill a pet that drinks out of the toilet, for example.

I....hold mail (a friend picks it up monthly from the post office since they only hold it a month-looking into forwarding).

To pick up my "held mail", I need to give my ID to the clerk at the post office. How does your friend pick up your mail?

omni

To pick up my "held mail", I need to give my ID to the clerk at the post office. How does your friend pick up your mail?

omni

In previous years, no ID was needed was when our friend picked up the mail. DW recently picked up the mail after a 10 day hold. She needed an id to get it. She asked the po how we can continue to have a friend pick it up this winter. The po said to put it in the comments section that someone will pick up monthly and that will work.

We spend seven months a year in a condo in a warm climate and the other five months in a house in a cold climate in an isolated area. Both have checklists, one extensive and the other not.

For the house, the water is shut off and drained by a plumber and the heat is left on at 50. We put all outside furniture away, close all shades/drapes, etc. Empty icemaker and shut off, empty fridges and freezers of perishable foods. Both main house and guest house are alarmed and the alarms are set. No lamps, fake TVs, cameras, etc.

Very little mail comes to that house, and it is temporarily forwarded when we aren't there, as is the landline. Cable and Internet service go on vacation hold.

We have a caretaker who checks the house weekly and after any major storms. Lawn and pool maintenance continue as needed.

For the condo, much less is required. The staff there turns off the water after we leave (it will also turn itself off if it detects abnormal flow). AC set to 76, all drapes/shades shut. Icemaker emptied and shut off, perishables out. Outside furniture moved inside. They also deploy hurricane protection.

Little valuable mail comes there, but every week or so I call the office and go through it. They scan anything I need immediately and mail a box with the rest once in awhile. Phones forwarded, cable and Internet put on vacation hold. There is an alarm system that isn't even connected, but it is in a 24-hour guarded, gated community with cameras everywhere and very good building security.

Condo staff checks the place every two weeks.

Cars left in both locations put on trickle chargers and have gas additive added. Valuables secured in safes and a safe room (in the house).

I had a neighbor who's toilet supply line let go when they were on a weekend getaway, house was flooded when they got home. I leave a light on when I'm away but that's about the only thing I do, if I were to go away for a month with nobody home I'd probably shut off the main water line

This happened to us and we were away for only a couple of weeks.
Now I shut off the main water line, where it comes into the house, turn the water heater to vacation mode, and turn off the cold water supply to the water heater.

We do most of the above. Is there any reason for "RV" antifreeze as opposed to the normal stuff you buy at the auto store?

RV Antifreeze is non-toxic and costs $2 a gallon, on sale. Auto antifreeze is a lot more expensive and used to be very toxic. Maybe still is?

Now I shut off the main water line, where it comes into the house, turn the water heater to vacation mode, and turn off the cold water supply to the water heater.
I put my water heater on Pilot. Vacation keeps the water luke warm.

Senator-
How tough was that to set up? Sounds good.

It wasn't too bad. I mounted a couple of cameras a week or so. They work great. Even when I am at my desk, I can see who is ringing the door bell.

Some things we do, that you may want to consider:

Turn the water main off. Turn the hot water heater to vacation mode. Get a house temperature monitor - we have one (cost less than $100) with two sensors and a probe. It plugs in to your computer router. One sensor goes upstairs, one in the basement, and the probe goes into the big chest freezer. I can monitor the temp. of all 3 places from my smartphone or laptop, wherever we go. If the house temp starts dropping, I have a neighbor that will check on it right away, and call the furnace repair guy asap if needed. In the meantime, I have two of those electric infrared heaters that can be turned on to keep the house from getting too cold (this assumes the power is still on, of course). The same neighbor also generally keeps an eye on the house and does some snow removal, etc.. As others have mentioned, USPS will hold your mail for up to one month at a time, and they will let someone that you authorize pick it up for you monthly.

Back
Top Bottom