Join Early Retirement Today

Question Sedona to Las Vegas
Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Question Sedona to Las Vegas

Hello, planning a trip with 6 adults leaving Philadelphia and flying into Phoenix on 11/1 with a return date of 11/8. We are age 62 to 65.

Preliminary itinerary

rent a van for 6 drive Phoenix to Sedona and stay 11/1 to 11/5
drive to Williams, Arizona stay overnight on the 5th to take Grand Canyon Train tour on the 6th returning the same day

Drive directly to Las Vegas and stay the night of the 6th and 7th. Returnon afternoon flight to Philadelphia.

My question is; Is this doable and sufficient time to tour Sedona and see some of Vegas

One suggestion was to stay one night in Grand Canyon Park Hotel probably on the 5th and return on the 6th to Williams(train tour start) and head to Vegas and shorten Sedona stay by 1 day.

I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks
memejipakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Having been to all the locations you mentioned multiple times, your preliminary itinerary is doable, but may I suggest the following:
1. Curtail stay in Sedona by one day or even a couple of days (1st to the 4th)...Sedona is nice but you should be able to see all the attractions in a couple of days (not including your arrival date)
2. Drive up to Flagstaff (instead of Williams - more to do in Flagstaff) on the morning of the 4th or stay at the Grand Canyon (depending on your budget) for a couple of days (4th-6th)...sunrise and sunset views of the Grand Canyon are awesome.
3. I have not taken the Grand Canyon train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and prefer, instead, to drive so I can explore various viewpoints of the Grand Canyon. While there is no "bad" view of the Grand Canyon, I like the Desert View by the East Entrance.
4. Drive to Las Vegas on the morning of the 6th and stay until the 8th.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like VG23's suggestion.

Taking the train and back at the same day will not give you enough time to enjoy the beauty of Grand Canyon.

You can post your itinerary at TripAdvisor dot com forum where there are many travel experts for your destination.

Sedona Forum, Travel Discussion for Sedona, Arizona – TripAdvisor
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with VG23 also. We loved Flagstaff, and I wouldn't short your time at the Grand Canyon. It is truly breathtaking, especially at sunrise and sunset. Give yourself the opportunity to see both.

A little off topic, but I have 2 pictures, taken 30-seconds apart, at sunset from one of the lookout points. One is looking west, and is a beautiful orange sunset. The next, looking east, is of a purple sky with a full moon out. It was amazing.

The only reason I even knew to stand where I did and look east was because a woman with a really big camera and tripod was standing there, far away from the other tourists, and I asked her why. The moon picture was why.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have enough time. We love that area and could spend more time there, but you will get a good flavor for the area. I agree, do go to Flagstaff, the drive is incredible. There's a rest area just outside of Flagstaff, looking down towards Sedona, incredible views.

Jerome is intriguing, we didn't care for the historic accommodations we stayed in. It's a nice place to walk around, have lunch, look at art. You have to be prepared to walk sideways, uphill, and downhill all at the same time.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sedona to Las Vegas
Old 06-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sedona to Las Vegas

Your itinerary looks a little too Sedona focused for me. I would:

Drive from to Phoenix to Sedona 11/1. Spend 11/1 and 11/2 nights in Sedona, taking pink jeep tour on 11/2. Unless your group plans on hiking Sedona trails, this should be enough time to discover Sedona.

Drive from Sedona to Flagstaff for lunch and on to Grand Canyon on 11/3. Spend nights of 11/3 and 11/4 at one of the park lodges (I like the El Tovar). Not sure how scenic 89a along Oak Creek canyon from Sedona to Flagstaff is after the recent wildfire. I was in Sedona last month and the road was closed to fight the fire.

Drive from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas on 11/5, and spend nights of 11/5, 11/6, and 11/7 in Las Vegas. This will give you 2 full days in Las Vegas

But if your group likes hiking, I'd add another day for Grand Canyon, and take off for Las Vegas on the 6th.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #7

Also consider shortening the Sedona part and include Jerome and Prescott, you can go up to the Grand Canyon through Williams that way.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

The elevation in Sedona is 4,000 feet. It will be pleasant during the day and drop to the 40's or 50's at night. However, Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet. It will be cool to cold during the day and can drop below freezing at night, even in early November. You could encounter early ice and snow at that elevation. Williams is similar in elevation and the Canyon has unpredictable weather all year.

Sedona has a lot of traffic, especially on weekends. The roads are mostly two lanes and several years ago roundabouts were substituted for signals at many intersections. Not sure what they are like today, but they were difficult to navigate when they were installed. Most tourists drive between the "must see" spots and then go to restaurants to recover. There are lots of great places to hike, some of which are off the beaten path. I can't see spending much more than a day or two there.

The drive to Jerome and beyond is not for the faint of heart. It's a narrow windy road with big drop offs. You can go all the way over the hill and head north to I-40 and Williams or southwest to Prescott.

Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to just south of Flagstaff is a nice drive, but the recent fire may have impacted the road and the scenery.

The Canyon is always crowded with tourists. Better to go on a weekday. IIRC, some things close during the winter months. Check on which roads are open and where you can stay and eat. The long way around, east from Flagstaff and then north, is very pretty but takes a long time. North from Williams is not as pretty a drive but takes less time.

Expect the usual airport delays at Sky Harbor. Rental cars are off airport and there are often lines at the counters, depending on the day and time. Expect to waste at least half an hour on that.

Can't help with Las Vegas.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #9

Having spent a lot of time in Sedona, I have never taken a jeep tour. I have a a few favorite hikes, Oak Creek Canyon is one, Boynton Canyon being another. Cathedral Rock, and the Mud Pie vortex, is also very nice. Jerome, is interesting and Whiskey Row in Prescott are both Old West places to visit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app