Join Early Retirement Today

Sicily in October
Old 03-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sicily in October

We've been searching VRBO for villas with swimming pools in Sicily. Is it too cold to swim or do they typically shut down the pools in October? We're hoping to go Oct. 3 - Oct. 20. We're going to stay near Catania the SE side of the island. Also going to rent a car and plan to take insurance. Getting an international driver's license.

Appreciate any input or suggestions!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2023, 08:39 AM   #2

We stayed in Taormina in January 2017. Yep, you should get a car, but check with your existing auto insurance AND your credit card, because you may not need to buy additional insurance. Also, you won't be asked for the international license. Not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you don't get one, nobody cares.

Catania is kind of like Baltimore: a good transportation hub, and a large city that nobody really plans as a destination. More of a pass-through.

We climbed Mt. Etna, which in January meant using snowshoes. Great experience, and I recommend finding a tour so you can also go up and see it. If you like Italian food, you'll LOVE Sicilian food. Bolder flavors and all very delicious. I especially like a good quick aroncini for a heavy snack.

Let me know if you want me to carry your luggage!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We've been searching VRBO for villas with swimming pools in Sicily. Is it too cold to swim or do they typically shut down the pools in October? We're hoping to go Oct. 3 - Oct. 20. We're going to stay near Catania the SE side of the island. Also going to rent a car and plan to take insurance. Getting an international driver's license.

Appreciate any input or suggestions!
It is very late in the season although often still warm, so swimming is possible. (But you can also get rain) The pools may have been winterized already. Where are you searching? There is a broad swath of coast between Catania and Taormina. Catania isn't my favorite, I've been to Sicily like five or six times -- further away towards Taormina is better.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does Sicily get super hot in the summer?
Old 03-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #5

I love Sicily. We're going in mid April. I have no reccomendations for a villa with a pool, since we usually rent small apartments via VRBO or Airbnb. My husband has family in the Catania area - with the largest cluster in Riposto/Giarre area.

If having a pool isn't a dealbreaker I can highly recommend the apartments at Residence Schuler.
https://www.residenceschuler.com/en/
The owner is the brother of the local hotel "Villa Schuler" (which may have a pool, don't know). The apartments are very nice and have amazing views. It's very walkable to Corso Umberto for your evening passiagiata.

Again no pool, but closer to Etna is Nake Residenzia - disclaimer, this is owned and operated by my husband's 2nd cousins. It's a beautiful home in San'Alfio with the most amazing views of both Etna and the sea. Nilla, who runs it, speaks perfect english and can help arrange things for you. A car is required because it's in a small town not well serviced by train or bus.
https://www.nakesicily.it/index.php?l=en

Things to do or see if you are based in the Catania area:
- Siracusa: explore both the old island of Ortygia and the Greek stadium and ruins nearby.
- Taormina: Up the hill from the ocean, but you can take a tram down to the water. Beautiful town, beautiful greek arena. If you are a walker hike up/back to Castelmola. Or take the bus or a taxi to Castelmola and walk down to Taormina.
- Piazza Amerina/Villa del Casale - Amazing mosaics. Can be combined as a day trip to Caltigirone.
- Catligirone: The most beautiful ceramics. And the risers on the steps up to the church are all beautifully tiles. Ceramics sold from Caltigirone has a special cache - make sure it is marked Caltigirone. (Some of our favorite serving bowls are from here.
- Agrigento - one of the best sites for Greek temples. (Full day trip to get there and back from Catania area).

We also enjoyed taking the circumferovia train that circles (most of the way) around Etna. It starts in either Catania or Giarre/Riposto - so you have to take a regional train to close the loop...

For Etna there is a Gondola that takes you close to the top, then you can take a tour out. We went in late June and there was still snow and it was super windy - so definitely bring a warm jacket.

On the other side of the island we based in Marsala and enjoyed the Trapani salt flats, the town of Erice (stunning!!!) and trips to Palermo and Monreale (the cathedral has some of the best mosaic 'frescos' I've ever seen.) We rented a guest house just outside Marsala and had shared use of the family pool.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Does Sicily get super hot in the summer?
I guess it depends on your definition. I don't do 'hot' well. But if you stay near the coast the temps tend to be in the 70s to 80's. For example Taormina has temps/humidity very similar to San Diego. I would imagine some of the interior towns (Modica, Ragusa, Caltigirone) get hotter in the summer.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I second Rodi's recommendations.

Never rented a villa or stayed in agriturismos because I preferred to be in towns and have access to dining choices.

Loved staying in Siracusa and Ragusa but parking is very difficult. Both towns are beautiful at night.

I think I once went in either late September or October once. There were heavy rains before I arrived and some mud slides.

For some reason though, when I went, flies were an absolute problem. It was humid to begin with but those things were just all over your skin, particularly your legs if wearing shorts.

Was like a plague.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch season 2 of The White Lotus on HBO before going! Great show and it will give you a great sense of Sicily [emoji2]

No, you don’t need to see season 1 first. They are independent of each other.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I guess it depends on your definition. I don't do 'hot' well. But if you stay near the coast the temps tend to be in the 70s to 80's. For example Taormina has temps/humidity very similar to San Diego. I would imagine some of the interior towns (Modica, Ragusa, Caltigirone) get hotter in the summer.
Sounds a lot better than Andalusia in the summer. I figured the surrounding seas would temper it a lot, but I wasn’t sure.

70s to 80s is our winter weather here ha ha.

Yes Season 2 of White Lotus really turned my head regarding Sicily, especially the view of Mt. Aetna from the ancient theater. I didn’t realize that was a Greek theater, I had assumed it was Roman. Its condition is even more impressive then, especially the stage area.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Summers in Catania have an average high of 89F in August. It can get quite hot throughout the island, even on the coast. Things will have cooled off quite a bit in Sept/Oct.

I prefer the other side of the island, Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento plus the Egadi Islands. But there are some lovely places on the other side like Taormina and Siracusa. Quite enjoyed a 4x4 trip over the lava fields and have dined/stayed at a couple of a agriturismos as well. I stayed at the "White Lotus" hotel before its renovation.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sounds a lot better than Andalusia in the summer. I figured the surrounding seas would temper it a lot, but I wasn’t sure.

70s to 80s is our winter weather here ha ha.

Yes Season 2 of White Lotus really turned my head regarding Sicily, especially the view of Mt. Aetna from the ancient theater. I didn’t realize that was a Greek theater, I had assumed it was Roman. Its condition is even more impressive then, especially the stage area.
Island has undergone invasions from different civilizations for millennia.

I think even the Vikings may have reached it.

But some of the antiquities were reconstructed, like a temple at Seliunte.

Not sure about the theater in Taormina though.

But White Lotus was filmed on a resort with limited number of rooms and it costs over $500 if not much more a night.

The beach scenes were filmed in Corfu though, not the beaches below Taormina.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Island has undergone invasions from different civilizations for millennia.

I think even the Vikings may have reached it.

But some of the antiquities were reconstructed, like a temple at Seliunte.

But White Lotus was filmed on a resort with limited number of rooms and it costs over $500 if not much more a night.

According to https://www.traveltaormina.com/en/mo...-taormina.html the Romans “upgraded” the Taormina Theater for their gladiator games, expanding the stage and adding the columns. Before that it had been primarily a Greek play and music venue.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #13

Sicily was part of the Greek empire. A big part. In fact Archimedes (famous greek inventor) was born in Siracusa. Hence the arenas and temples everywhere.

White Lotus was a very pretty taste of Taormina. Our first trip to Sicily (where we met, in person, a few of the second cousins) we based in Taormina. That was in 2005. We've been back every 4 years since. In 2009 we spent 3 weeks in Sicily and still didn't see enough. LOL.

Oh - some important food recommendations:

- Granita e Brioche.... this is an iced dairy blend (a Frappuccino is a poor fake version of it) that comes in chocolate, coffee flavored, pistachio, almond and sometimes berry. You dunk pieces of brioche into the granita. It is a common breakfast or lunch or brunch... Mainly available on the east side of the island. I love it much I always have it the morning after I arrive.

- Cous Cous con Pesce... A super fishy and wonderful dish made with fresh tomatoes, garlic, parsley, fish, shellfish. No way to describe just how amazingly yummy this is. Mainly on the north-east side of the island.

- biscotto di mandorla. The soft cookies that are almondy and citrusy and wonderful. They tend to be individually packaged.

- Canollo (or cannolli if you have a bigger appetite. ) Originated in Sicily
Old 03-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

And Sicily is one of those European regions that came under North African/Moslem control for a while until the Normans took over.

Locations like this - island between two continents is going to have a very rich multicultural history. It’s so close to North Africa it’s a major route for migrating birds of prey which don’t like to cross water.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
We stayed in Taormina in January 2017. Yep, you should get a car, but check with your existing auto insurance AND your credit card, because you may not need to buy additional insurance. Also, you won't be asked for the international license. Not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you don't get one, nobody cares.

Catania is kind of like Baltimore: a good transportation hub, and a large city that nobody really plans as a destination. More of a pass-through.

We climbed Mt. Etna, which in January meant using snowshoes. Great experience, and I recommend finding a tour so you can also go up and see it. If you like Italian food, you'll LOVE Sicilian food. Bolder flavors and all very delicious. I especially like a good quick aroncini for a heavy snack.

Let me know if you want me to carry your luggage!

Might be different in Sicily but in Italy if the police stop you they will most likely ask for IDL. Renting a car in Florence last year even the rental company wanted to see it. That was a first.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
snip

I think you meant Cefalu, a beach resort near Palermo. Corfu is an island in northern Greece.

The theatre at Taormina of course is a partially restored/stabilized ruin, as shown in the program. It is used for events still, including opera in the summertime.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #17

This is the villa we chose. 73 excellent reviews and within walking distance to TRECASTAGNI. Reviews said we do not need a car. We're renting a car anyway to tour the rest of the island. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure we'll go everywhere. We decided to keep this villa the entire time we're there as a home base.

https://www.vrbo.com/489127ha?adults...unitId=1122227

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-07-2023, 08:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Dang what a deal!
Old 03-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #19

Very nice!
Old 03-10-2023, 07:39 AM   #20

Thanks, this was difficult because there were some incredible places, less expensive, but the descriptions in VRBO brought questions. We messaged the owners about bathrooms, one villa said 3 full bathrooms, turned out one of them was an outdoor shower.

We could not argue with the reviews on our villa and the owners responded in less than 24 hours. The church next to the villa is St. Nicholas of Bari. The satellite map shows the villa next to it. There's something special about being in the center of a village, and having access to bakeries, restaurants, etc within walking distance. We like that the owners live nearby. We booked on Lufthansa via their website. Plenty of seats to choose from and great travel times. No pressure having to get up early. One layover each way is less than 2 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...Fg%2F1263gv5_c

Ralph Waldo Emerson