Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

What a vehicle can tow (pull) is rarely the limiting factor. Check the cargo weight capacity (on the same sticker with tire pressure info). Do the math and you'll see your tongue weight will be too much to allow you to get to that 5000 lb tow number.
What it really comes down to is front and rear axle weight ratings and cooling capacity.

By the way, the 17 foot Casita has a really high tongue weight for a trailer of its overall weight. Use of weight distributing hitches are common with these.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

"Small Travel Trailers - Should I?"

Yes, you should. But then, I am biased.

But what you can pull with a CRV is limited. We personally would insist on something with a real toilet. A wet but permanent bath is OK - the type you find in class B's or truck campers. This kind of amenities in a travel trailer makes it weigh more than what a CRV can pull.

I also vote for a SUV against a truck, due to personal preference. We almost bought a small 17' travel trailer, because we already had an SUV will 5,000-lb towing capacity.

I would never get anything larger than what I am using now: a 25' class C with a toad. Anything more, then I would not be able to get into national park campgrounds. I usually disconnect the toad at the campground entrance, so I can drive the MH around looking for a slot. Disconnected, they are individually more flexible for parking than a travel trailer-vehicle combo of the same total length.

We just spent some nights at Kalaloch campground, and we were lucky to get one of the absolute best slots with the view of the ocean out the door and windows. And the MH and the toad barely fit!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple years ago, we went with a 18' travel trailer. It was around $12k brand new, after delivery. Used were selling for MORE!? Pull it with a Toyota Tacoma. Probably pretty close to max. tongue weight, about 3500 lb. dry weight. Approx. 1000 lb. less than max. towing. 8-12 miles/gal. at 55-65 mph depending on wind. Live and camp in relatively flat ND, MN. Tows pretty well, except long grades (1/2 mile or more). The only thing the wife complains about is bed length and width (she's too used to a queen mattress). So, yes, in order to upgrade trailer size, I'd want a bigger truck.

Same, except for interior color, to what we have: Used 2013 Forest River Wildwood 18 Travel Trailer For Sale - Camping World RV Sales - Indianapolis

It all comes down to what you're comfortable with. I'm fine with bed size, the gas mileage, and not sinking $60k (or however much more) into truck and something we use 3-5 long weekends a year.

-CC
Love Our R-Pod
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love Our R-Pod

Over the last 40 years I completed the whole RV procession; backpacking, tent, tent trailer, 16' travel trailer, motor home, 30' travel trailer, 5th wheel and stopped at at a lakefront park model. Last year we picked up an R-Pod, gets us back to basics comfortably and is easy to tow with the Jeep GC. Pretty sure a CRV wouldn't handle it though.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

In the previous post, I forgot to add a photo showing the view from my spot at Kalaloch. It was taken a foggy morning. Not at all a bad place to camp for $14/day, but most of the ocean-front spaces are only good for tent camping. Did I say that I was lucky with my motorhome and toad?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Having never owned an RV or travel trailer, I don't know whether you should buy one or not. But if was to buy a small travel trailer, I always thought these were clever T@B Teardrop Trailers. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been through the whole progression from tent to popup to motor home to trailer to nothing and back to a trailer. I'm spending the summer in our 19 foot trailer as a campground host. 150 sq feet of living space is pretty cozy but it is plenty for me. I like the small size as it is lighter and easier to tow and maneuver. The only thing I don't like is the corner bed but in a small trailer you just don't have the room for a walk around queen!
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having never owned an RV or travel trailer, I don't know whether you should buy one or not. But if was to buy a small travel trailer, I always thought these were clever T@B Teardrop Trailers. Best of luck whatever you decide.
I used to camp in a Teardrop when we were 16 years old. And they're really popular trailers to tow long distances. But new units are also expensive.

You still cannot beat a pop up camper if you're going to be traveling many miles. Their beds slide out, the top raises, and an a/c-heat unit can be mounted on the roof to keep you comfortable.

The best thing about pop ups is that they're readily available on the used market, and you can use one for a couple of years and resell it for what you paid for it.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Our small trailer was made by the T@b people, its a T@da, 18.5' total length, 2,200 lbs empty. We tow it with our Jeep Liberty diesel which is way overkill (it can tow 5K lbs here but rated at 7K+ lbs in Europe with identical drivetrain). They only sold the T@da a couple years and it has the same value as new although DW says I can sell it when I pry it out of her cold, dead hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T@da.jpg (56.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yakers, that is adorable! I love your teardrop!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote