Snowbird destinations

MarcJoli

Dryer sheet wannabe
We are still 4-6 years away from FIRE but doing a lot of dreaming about what our lifestyle would be during our GO GO years, and how much we need to save for this early retirement lifestyle.

Ideally we want to leave Minnesota in November or after Christmas every year and come back to MN in late April or early May every year. Prioritizing for the weather. We love beaches and sunning at the pool. We typically vacation in the Caribbean, Florida keys or Hawaii.

What to do and where to travel? Total budget should be around 30K or less per year for accommodations, flights, car rental if needed, and fuel. We are ok staying in an RV park, 55+community or any HOA as long as it has amenities like a pool.

Here are ideas on our short list
1) Slow travel by car through the South eastern USA. AirBNB at a different city every week or two. Starting in Nashville, stops in New Orleans, Alabama, FL panhandle, Tampa area, Ft Meyers area, Ft Lauderdale, a couple of weeks in the FL Keys, Orlando, Daytona beach, St Petersberg, Charlotte, Asheville, and back towards MN.

2) Slow travel through the Southwest USA. Starting at Denver, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, Sedona, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA area, Las Vegas, southern Utah, Moab or western Colorado, etc.

3) Texas tour of all the major cities and gulf coast.

4) Phoenix or Sedona areas for the whole season.

5) Ft Meyers area for the whole season

6) St Lucia in the Caribbean - have family that lives there. With side trips by ferry to Martinique and St Vincent.

7) Fort lauderdale, Florida Keys, and 2-3 weeks of carrib cruises.

9) Greece, Italy or Spain near the coast

10) Thailand or Bali? both?

11) Australia tour with multiple flights between cities.

12) India tour with multiple flights.

13) Big Island of Hawaii - frugal like a local, side trips to Maui.

We are not very experienced with Mexico and central America travel so it certainly would not get to the top of our list.

Do you have experience wintering in these places? Did I miss any great options that we should consider? Should we add any locations to the above itineraries?

The first dozen years or so of FIRE should be pretty epic if we can afford it.

It will be lower cost if you do a longer term seasonal rental. As opposed to your plan for 1 or 2 week stays. Still expensive as you will be in the locations during the high demand season. Your snowbird season from MN is longer than many others a bit south from you.

I can't tell you much about places except that there is a lot of choices variety and what you want. RVing is probably the lowest cost. Private seasonal rental next higher, Air B&B more again. Hotels and short term rentals the highest cost. If you want to avoid freezing weather in FL, the general rule is stay south of I-4. Can't give any ideas for SW USA, haven't tried spending any snowbirding there.

We ended up buying a snowbird place in an RV resort type place where we have a small house with it. The small house is nice to give more space to live in beside the RV alone. It has costs to maintain, but being the owner, we also get the (hopeful, not guaranteed of course) real estate appreciation when selling it at some point in future. I don't pay any seasonal rent, just the ownership costs throughout the year. Costs such as HOA, prop tax, house insurance, electric. I spend way less than $30k/year in costs.

Last edited:
Always fun to plan and lots of good ideas there. I can't speak accurately enough on long term rental costs in FL or elsewhere. However, a trip to Australia and multiple flights in country could run a bit more. We are going for 20 days with Tauck to Aus/NZ and it's coming in around $50K albeit with business class air one way. Granted Tauck is expensive and I'm sure there are cheaper tour companies.

We have been doing a version of your #2 for the last 6 years. We go away for about 5 weeks in late winter to early spring, and stay in 3-5 areas for 4 to 12 days each using hotels and VRBO. We are in it for mainly the SW landscape.

Attachments

• DSC_2536fb.jpg
    DSC_2536fb.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0751fb.jpg
    DSC_0751fb.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1960FB.jpg
    IMG_1960FB.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0696fb.jpg
    IMG_0696fb.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 1
Retired May 2020 and currently on our “Endless Summer” escape to get away from the “Harsh” California Winter weather. Been out of country since
Thanksgiving. This winters trek was Belize (Ambergris Caye), Costa Rica (Drake Bay. San Jose. Tamarindo) and coming up is Cancun (Riviera Maya and Playa Del Carmen) to meet up and party with extended family. Headed back home after Playa Del Carmen.

Loving Costa Rica. Second time here on extended travels. Currently chilling in Tamarindo! Way cheaper than Maui, better than Cancun and with a cool laid back beach summer vibe like 1970s in Santa Cruz, CA. Lots of families from the cold parts of the U.S.and Canada are here.

Next winter planning to add Boca Del Toro (Panama) and Havana back into the rotation!

On average, all in we are spending between $300 and $400 a day for lodging, food/drinks, entertainment and air.

Once we settle on an itinerary, wife finds or talks someone into good deals on airfare and lodging (condo or hotel). Currently sitting in balcony of Tamarindo Condo (Diria) with an ocean view and good dark coffee. Good luck and Pura Vida my fellow retirees.

I see 1242 Vintage mentioned Costa Rica. We spent a month in Quepos, renting a condo, and it was great. More time would have worked too. I would add it to your list.

I've wintered several times in Phoenix/ Sedona area. Had a townhouse in Scottsdale for 17 years. Great snowbird area for hiking. Great for a several month stay. Caution on Sedona - it gets very crowded in March, April

OP - I'd recommend to you get a mix of snowbird adventures. Go somewhere different every year. Like maybe one year in each of the possibilities you listed.

I like road trips, but I'd be wary of your No 2. Good chance of bad weather / snow in Flagstaff, Utah, Colorado - that you won't be able to miss if you have your stays preplanned.

Spend lots of time pre-planning your trips so that you maximize fun things for you.

Sedona is at a higher altitude than Phoenix so beware. It gets cold, rains and snows there. Check out average weather for the months you are interested in being there.

We are going for 20 days with Tauck to Aus/NZ and it's coming in around $50K albeit with business class air one way.

If we had 5 months to do it we would split our time between the major areas in Aus. 2--4 weeks in each major city or beach area, using short term rentals. We would probably fly coach too. East coast by car and then flight to the west coast and again rent a car.

I would love to hear from you after you complete your tour and also would love to hear from someone who did this over a longer duration.

Sedona is at a higher altitude than Phoenix so beware. It gets cold, rains and snows there. Check out average weather for the months you are interested in being there.

Yeah I think Sedona and the hills become day trips when the weather is nice. Home base in Scottsdale or further south.

We have been doing a version of your #2 for the last 6 years. We go away for about 5 weeks in late winter to early spring, and stay in 3-5 areas for 4 to 12 days each using hotels and VRBO. We are in it for mainly the SW landscape.

Since you have done this multiple times, what locations and cities have you found to be the most awesome and worth staying 4-12 days at a time? (we would be starting in December or and going til May)

I see 1242 Vintage mentioned Costa Rica. We spent a month in Quepos, renting a condo, and it was great. More time would have worked too. I would add it to your list.

Could you give me a rough idea on costs of a condo for a month in the dead of winter?

Back
Top Bottom