Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went on our first cruise ever, and it may be our last. There were fun things about the cruise, but they were awfully common-denominator ("formal night," shows, etc.) and we were mostly bored. The gym was too small and crowded. Food was very good, but too many people were there eating it with us, etc. and food/drink are not the be-all end-all for us.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

We have come home in mid March after a two or three month trip to warmer climates only to find cold weather, lots of snow.

It would have taken zero persuading to get us head out again.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We love to leave and love to be back home. Always.
I think we have the best of it.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
We love to leave and love to be back home. Always.
I think we have the best of it.

Yes, planning and going on new trips is very exciting but the anticipation of getting back home is usually agonizing. Even on our trip to Hawaii earlier this year we were getting a bit bored with it all, I’m in Vietnam right now, it’s only been 8 days so far but I’m actually fed up with the humidity and traffic of Ho Chi Minh, I’m counting the days to get on the airplane and get out of here. These people literally do not stop honking their horns, it’s 4am laying in bed at the hotel and I hear nothing but honking horns, all night long, don’t think I’ll ever be coming back.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Landing back at LAX, driving through the smog and dense traffic, I can't help but take a deep breath, glad to be home.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I would enjoy being able to stay in Alaska a bit longer. High of 70, low of 50. Beats 114/92 right now. Nice scenery, lots of outdoor opportunities.

PS. Oops. Just checked and saw that it is raining for 5 days straight in Valdez. Recall being cooped up inside the motorhome for a couple of days on the recent trip, and on more than one occasion.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

During my w*rk time, I was on the road 200 days a year for 30 years.

Always great to get home but sometimes I'd wake up at home in the middle of the night, not know where I was and say: "Gee, I have a lamp just like that one at home..."

Dorothy was right: "There's no place like home"
Old 08-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Always great to get home but sometimes I'd wake up at home in the middle of the night, not know where I was and say: "Gee, I have a lamp just like that one at home..."

I can identify with that.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I almost never have any feeling of displacement during or after a trip. Always know exactly where I am. However, for a week after returning from the Alaska cruise, I woke up each night convinced I was still aboard the ship. It wasn't a bad feeling, like "Oh, gee, we're still at sea," just a disorienting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a traveler not one to be gone very long any where. I'm a homebody and nothing like home sweet home. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Whenever I travel it always feels so good to get back home, doesn’t matter if it’s s weekend getaway or a long trip, it just feels good sleeping in my own bed, taking a shower in my shower, using my toilet and cooking my own food, am I alone with this feeling?
I agree! When I am traveling I have to not think about my own bed, bath, etc. Always so good to get home, look around, and say ahhhh!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #32

I love to travel, but I agree, it feels so good to return home! We have our home set up where and the way we want it, so it feels like it takes more mental and emotional effort to stay anywhere else! Plus, maybe it's more than I'm used to it, but I don't feel as comfortable in any other bed, no matter how luxurious it is.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #33

As an ER, I enjoy being home. In my career days, I always wished the vacation could last longer. Last month DW and I were on an intense "vacation" sightseeing Israel. The every-day touring was very tiring and most definitely we were both looking forward to and glad to be home. Tomorrow, we are leaving for an 8 day beach vacation to unwind! We may have a different perspective when it's time to return from that vacation.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We went on our first cruise ever, and it may be our last. There were fun things about the cruise, but they were awfully common-denominator ("formal night," shows, etc.) and we were mostly bored. The gym was too small and crowded. Food was very good, but too many people were there eating it with us, etc. and food/drink are not the be-all end-all for us.
Before you give up on cruises, try one of the lines with smaller ships. More expensive, but a totally different world.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Before you give up on cruises, try one of the lines with smaller ships. More expensive, but a totally different world.
+1 I have been on ships with as few as 49 passengers and as many as 3500. The experiences are totally different.
Sicne this was your first cruise, your expectations may have been too high, and you were disappointed.
Try smaller ships, try higher end ships. The experience on Carnival is not the same as the experience on Oceania.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
So satisfying getting back home?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #36

So satisfying getting back home?

Me too. I need to get away from my hum drumness and routine every once in awhile. My solo trips are usually about a week since any longer than that I get concerned about what’s happening at home. I board my dog so that concerns me. Also I really like to get away in the winter but then I’m concerned about what could go wrong regarding my travel arrangements or my house.

I love having a change of pace from my usual routine with maid/chef services when traveling, but I’m always ready to come home.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I would love to. We were considering a Tauck small ship cruise, but I'm prone to seasickness, so probably need to stick to larger vessels. I will say that due to good weather, and perhaps a good captain and crew, the Alaska cruise felt more like riding in a big car than being on the open sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

This was the Princess line, and we also stayed at Princess resorts in Alaska, which I down-rated as slightly shabby and with poor service (service on the ship was much, much better, the staff were cruise ship professionals). Would Regency Seven Seas be better? We get their brochures now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
+1 I have been on ships with as few as 49 passengers and as many as 3500. The experiences are totally different.
Sicne this was your first cruise, your expectations may have been too high, and you were disappointed.
Try smaller ships, try higher end ships. The experience on Carnival is not the same as the experience on Oceania.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Tours feel almost like jobs. Do this now, be there then, be considerate of others and eat with them even if you wouldn't ordinarily choose those people as companions....Tours are jobs you *want* to do, but jobs nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
As an ER, I enjoy being home. In my career days, I always wished the vacation could last longer. Last month DW and I were on an intense "vacation" sightseeing Israel. The every-day touring was very tiring and most definitely we were both looking forward to and glad to be home. Tomorrow, we are leaving for an 8 day beach vacation to unwind! We may have a different perspective when it's time to return from that vacation.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #40

When my daughter and I went on our first cruise we selected a three day cruise. We had no idea how it would affect us. I was fine but my daughter had to wear a motion patch. I really enjoyed the rocking motion on that cruise, it would rock me to sleep.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote