Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This was the Princess line, and we also stayed at Princess resorts in Alaska, which I down-rated as slightly shabby and with poor service (service on the ship was much, much better, the staff were cruise ship professionals). Would Regency Seven Seas be better? We get their brochures now.
We sailed on the Paul Gaugin when it was part of RSSC, and we loved it. Everything felt at least nice if not luxurious. And we estimated what we would have paid in tips and drinks and shore excursions and upgrades on a similar cruise and it seemed like the cost was probably about the same.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After reading everyone's kind responses to my cruise ship grousing, I am looking at the Oceania and RSSC sites. We did look at cruisers' forums a while back. They were a little too "insider" for us then - it was hard to relate, since the posters were usually experienced cruisers. Maybe we can glean more from them, now.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Tours feel almost like jobs. Do this now, be there then, be considerate of others and eat with them even if you wouldn't ordinarily choose those people as companions....Tours are jobs you *want* to do, but jobs nonetheless.
I had not thought of that, but you are right. Bags outside at 7, on the bus at 8, is like a job.
That is why we have opted for a lot of independent travel.In many cases we used the tour company's itinerary as a guide. We recently did this in Switzerland and Santa Fe,NM.
Funny thing happened in Chimayo, we had just finished a great lunch, and a tour bus pulled up. It was the bus of the tour company we used as a guide! We looked at each other and smiled, because we knew how long it would take to feed those 40 people.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #44

Quote:
After reading everyone's kind responses to my cruise ship grousing, I am looking at the Oceania and RSSC sites. We did look at cruisers' forums a while back. They were a little too "insider" for us then - it was hard to relate, since the posters were usually experienced cruisers. Maybe we can glean more from them, now.
Here is a comment I made some time ago about Cruise Critic:
In my opinion, the boards for the most part have dissolved into caring about minutiae, or because the people do not go to the cruise company’s websites for all the information they need.
I am tired about reading about Rum Runners, tipping, MDR dress, smoking, lanyards, walkie talkies and all the other “hot button” issues that create all kinds of multiple posts on CC.

I do not care who the captain is as along as he does not run us aground (Costa Concordia)
I do not care who the Cruise Director is, especially in those inane morning programs on ship’s TV. It was murder on our last cruise of 30 days to try to find some redeeming feature about the programs.
I do not care who the maitre d’ is, as long as the food is OK
I think it is insane to carry cases of water on board when the shipboard water is as good or better
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This was the Princess line, and we also stayed at Princess resorts in Alaska, which I down-rated as slightly shabby and with poor service (service on the ship was much, much better, the staff were cruise ship professionals)...
Outside of Denali National Park, we saw a big Princess Resort and stopped in to take a look. Thought that the lobby and public area looked quite nice, but did not see the rooms. About service, good help may be difficult to get in that area, as many hospitality workers in Alaska are seasonal and temporary.

In Girdwood near Anchorage, we happened to see the upscale looking Hotel Alyeska and a Tauck tour bus picking up Oriental tourists in front. Inside, it also looked like a nice resort.

I thought that it was too bad that the bus tourists only got to stay one night, and not had any time to really visit any surrounding area.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #46

Besides missing the dog (terribly), I am usually ready to get back home before the plane takes off for our vacation destination. We downsized a couple of years ago, and honestly there's no place I'd rather be than in this new house.

Love my bed, my meals, walks, etc. I'm pretty easy to please. (DH would disagree heartily).
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Besides missing the dog (terribly), I am usually ready to get back home before the plane takes off for our vacation destination.
I think I've identified a sure-fire way to cut your expenses.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Exactly so, and we tried to be understanding. Still, it was hard to put up with being sternly chided, by a 20-year-old hostess, for being 5 minutes late to a dinner reservation in a dining room that was still half empty. I am not exaggerating - we got a lecture. There was something "off" about her, maybe a spectrum thing.

Also, the food was surprisingly mediocre. How can you mess up salmon and king crab legs in Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Outside of Denali National Park, we saw a big Princess Resort and stopped in to take a look. Thought that the lobby and public area looked quite nice, but did not see the rooms. About service, good help may be difficult to get in that area, as many hospitality workers in Alaska are seasonal and temporary.

In Girdwood near Anchorage, we happened to see the upscale looking Hotel Alyeska and a Tauck tour bus picking up Oriental tourists in front. Inside, it also looked like a nice resort.

I thought that it was too bad that the bus tourists only got to stay one night, and not had any time to really visit any surrounding area.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Our cruise director was a hoot. He was such a relentless self-promoter, you'd think he was running for high office.
The captain was nice. He was especially good about announcing on the PA as to why the ship was doing this or that, or would soon be doing this or that. I mean, we could have figured out for ourselves that he was blowing the fog horn because it was foggy, but it showed he cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
In my opinion, the boards for the most part have dissolved into caring about minutiae, or because the people do not go to the cruise company’s websites for all the information they need.
I am tired about reading about Rum Runners, tipping, MDR dress, smoking, lanyards, walkie talkies and all the other “hot button” issues that create all kinds of multiple posts on CC.

I do not care who the captain is as along as he does not run us aground (Costa Concordia)
I do not care who the Cruise Director is, especially in those inane morning programs on ship’s TV. It was murder on our last cruise of 30 days to try to find some redeeming feature about the programs.
I do not care who the maitre d’ is, as long as the food is OK
I think it is insane to carry cases of water on board when the shipboard water is as good or better
Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #50

yes we enjoy coming back "home", even when we come back to snow and cold from hot and sunny. Our furniture, vehicles, grocery store, new change of clothes and scenery.

It gets old again after about a month of cold though and I am still accumulating and W*rking soo... the inevitable back to w*rk thought comes back too soon.

~3000 more days until freedom. Nobody but ER forum believes me lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #51

Home Sweet Home. Catchy!

Humans are more comfortable in familiar surroundings. Perhaps from our ancestors days of being prey.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

We have never been treated rudely or scolded on a RC cruise. The staff has always been phenomenal. The one Princess Cruise not so much. A few people told us that Princess went downhill when Carnival bought them. We take tours but enjoy the sea days too. We stay up later and enjoy the entertainment when we know the next day is at sea.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
<snip>
Hey, you forgot deck chair hogs and what to bring to decorate your stateroom door!

I did find CC useful for the reviews; when DH and I were first looking at UnCruise to Alaska we had no idea what they were like other than what we saw on their video which was, of course, advertising. We had some misgivings about what made it cost more. The reviews on CC helped. I've now got my 4th and 5th trips booked wath them.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Tours feel almost like jobs. Do this now, be there then, be considerate of others and eat with them even if you wouldn't ordinarily choose those people as companions....Tours are jobs you *want* to do, but jobs nonetheless.

They are hard work to see glimpses of things . We enjoy independent travel with day tours in certain areas .We both love a mix of professional guides and just wandering around .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #55
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
We went on our first cruise ever, and it may be our last. There were fun things about the cruise, but they were awfully common-denominator ("formal night," shows, etc.) and we were mostly bored. The gym was too small and crowded. Food was very good, but too many people were there eating it with us, etc. and food/drink are not the be-all end-all for us.
They are common denominator but you do not have to follow the pack . We never do formal night anymore and we always request flexible dining .We pick and choose what we like to enjoy on cruises and ignore the rest .Cruise Critic is useful for planning excursions not through the cruise line .These excursions are cheaper and more interesting .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #56

We endure long winters here, so we enjoy getting away for warmth and sunshine. Our longest escapes have grown to about 3 weeks. It's nice to occasionally see something new because we get bored of doing the same things in the same places.

We have friends that ecape for several months, but we feel happy be home after several weeks. We miss our home and friends, and we get tired of all the logistics while on the road.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #57

Quote:

Years ago, I did a very small hiking tour with a couple of guides and a handful of guests. It was a nice experience, but I didn't care for the schedule. In general, prefer to travel with just DW over any group, regardless of size. I love the flexibility. Group travel, even at best, can have too many constraints, just like a j*b!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Years ago, I did a very small hiking tour with a couple of guides and a handful of guests. It was a nice experience, but I didn't care for the schedule. In general, prefer to travel with just DW over any group, regardless of size. I love the flexibility. Group travel, even at best, can have too many constraints, just like a j*b!
I agree- I LOVED my tour of India and Nepal and knew that I wanted to be with a group, but traveling with others, on a predetermined schedule, certainly had its drawbacks. I will continue to bop around Europe on my own.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #59

Quote:
This was the Princess line, and we also stayed at Princess resorts in Alaska, which I down-rated as slightly shabby and with poor service (service on the ship was much, much better, the staff were cruise ship professionals). Would Regency Seven Seas be better? We get their brochures now.

Yes it would! We went on the Paul Gaugin in Tahiti. One of the best cruises we’ve ever been on. We also like Windstar but Paul Gaugin was definitely more upscale than Windstar.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #60

Quote:

We’ve never done a tour and don’t think we are likely to. Maybe if we get to the point where we can’t travel independently? It just seems like a chore hanging out with others we didn’t choose, and seeing everything on a regimented schedule. I’ve heard the OAT tours are wonderful though.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote