Sometimes an adventure trip really is!

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Recently returned from one of those "trip of a lifetime" "bucket list" trips and it was a doozy!

We went on an Antarctica expedition, something I've been wanting to do since I was about ten years old.

Flew into Santiago, Chile and spent the night at a hotel. Next morning we were taken to the airport for the flight down to Punta Arenas to board the ship.

Problem: during the night they took all our baggage to the airport for the usual bulk checkin, but the trucks hauling the bags were hijacked at gunpoint. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but the truck with the most bags (over 300 of them) was taken. The police recovered it a few hours later, empty. So apart from not much more than my camera, binoculars, and a few odds and ends in my backpack, we lost everything. Same for about ⅔ of the passengers on the ship.

We flew on to Punta Arenas, except for about 30 people who decided they couldn't deal with this and went straight back home.

Now imagine over 200 desperate people descending on the small number of shops in this extreme southern Chilean city, where we were given three hours to shop for clothing, toiletries, equipment, etc.
We made a good fist of it, but really didn't succeed too well, so they delayed our sailing for nearly a day so we could go back and shop some more the next morning.

Equipped with at least minimal levels, although a far cry from the good stuff we had carefully accumulated during our preparations at home, we enjoyed the trip immensely. I think it helped that so many other passengers were in the same shape.

On the way down we even got to make a landing at Cape Horn and visit the monument and station there. We heard that only about one in ten trips has good enough conditions to do that. Actually, we had extremely good luck crossing the Drake Passage in both directions. The captain referred to it as the Drake Lake.

It's hard to believe how many penguins (they're EVERYWHERE) and how much fun they are to watch. Of course, lots of other birds, seals, whales, etc.

First lesson learned: Try to stay upwind of a penguin colony. They become quite noticeable once you're within a quarter mile.

The whole trip was just fantastic. I got to camp out in a tent overnight on the peninsula, and we went swimming (the Polar Plunge) in one spot. Great fun.

Spent three days in the Falkland Islands before returning to Chile, another place I've long wanted to see. Well worth it, and we enjoyed that greatly.

After returning to Santiago, we spent an extra day there on our own. Beautiful city, although in sad shape right now after all the recent rioting. Wonderful, friendly people though, as you would expect.

It will take some time to process the insurance claims, but looking back on the total experience I would do it again in a heartbeat.

DSC_0086.jpg

Amazing adventure is right. I hope to do this trip. Maybe next year. Thanks for sharing!

Wow...sounds like a trip. Was this shipboard accomodations? How big was the ship? I suppose with all the turn back passengers the drink lines were short. Were they going to use trip insurance to reimburse the cost? No hotels on the continent I presume. What was the weather like in the "summer" Antartica? Water temp on the plunge?

Now you have stories to tell at parties..."Did I ever tell you about the time Shackleford & I were in the Antarctic?"

The ship was brand new, just launched this year. (MS Roald Amundsen) Designed for 500 passengers, but we had something like 380 on this trip. I can't praise it highly enough -- absolutely wonderful in every way.

Also, Hurtigruten bent over backwards to take care of us. They offered to reimburse us up to $2,000 for our emergency purchases (unrelated to our insurance claims) and treated us wonderfully well.

We did the swimming thing near an active volcano (Deception Island). The top inch or so of water was warm to the touch, but below that was definitely cold. Great fun though.

Generally speaking, Antarctic summer temperatures were actually warmer than they were back home in Cincinnati. Never more than about five degrees below freezing. Still lots of ice in the water though.

We didn't quite make it as far as the Antarctic Circle, but pretty close. About 65.3 degrees south. That made a great contrast with last March when we went above the Arctic Circle in Norway to see the Northern Lights. So both extremes in the same year.

One unexpected highlight was a day when we couldn't make the planned landing for snowshoeing due to ice condiitons, so instead they arranged a visit to a Ukrainian research station. They hadn't had visitors in eight months, so they were delighted to give us a tour of the station. Very interesting stuff regarding the hole in the ozone layer (currently at its best condition in decades).

Whats a STORY, obviously this was a one off. Thieves knowing here are three hundred bags, easy picking! Guessing this hasn't happened before down there:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Great story, thanks for sharing this adventure.

I think the shop owners hired the hijackers :LOL:

Wow, what an adventure! Great memories for you.

I think the shop owners hired the hijackers :LOL:

A lot of the buyers in the ship's store were thinking "Hey, this jacket looks familiar....and it's a perfect fit".

Yeah, we all made a lot of jokes about it at the time. But the line was great about it. Toward the end of the trip they said all the clothing we bought onboard in the ship's store (and there was quite a lot of it) would be at no charge. And that's besides the reimbursement for what we bought in Punta Arenas at the start. So they were wonderful to us.

They even managed to provide us with the official police report, including an official translation, so we could use it for our insurance claims. And at the end of the trip they normally sell a thumb drive full of the ship's photographer's best photos for $100, but they gave it free to those of us who lost our luggage. I am a huge fan of Hurtigruten and they way they run their company.

We're going to Antarctica in February. I was concerned about Santiago already, so this story doesn't help! But if that's the worst, we'll muddle through.

Awesome trip! Thanks for sharing. Especially the "Stay upwind of a penguin colony" I'll have to remember that advice in case I get near one.

We're going to Antarctica in February. I was concerned about Santiago already, so this story doesn't help! But if that's the worst, we'll muddle through.

Don't worry about it. Things have calmed down almost completely in the last couple of weeks. Apart from some boarded up storefronts and some totally trashed subway stations, there isn't much beyond a lot of graffiti spraypainted around. Things are getting back to normal and the government is moving heaven and earth to make that happen. People have pretty much spent their energy during the first part of November and all is pretty calm now.

We spent a few hours last Sunday at the most amazing shopping center I've ever seen and Christmas shopping was going ahead full bore. Lots of terrific restaurants in the center as well, so we had a great time there. Moving around into the local neighborhoods, you would never know there had been a problem.

What a great adventure ! You really rolled with the punches !

I felt sorry for the 30 or so passengers who felt unable to deal with it. But even they got a good deal -- Hurtigruten not only paid for their return flights home but also gave them a 100% refund on the trip.

Braumeister, what a memorable trip. It takes a certain attitude to get past than when one is mid-trip, so good you were among like-minded fellow passengers and could still enjoy and finish the trip.

Was the insurance coverage for the stolen luggage provided by the cruise line or was each passenger responsible? Certainly a reminder to carry trip insurance.

If you have an opportunity an update in how the claims goes would be interesting.

Was the insurance coverage for the stolen luggage provided by the cruise line or was each passenger responsible? Certainly a reminder to carry trip insurance.

If you have an opportunity an update in how the claims goes would be interesting.

I bought my own trip insurance so I'll definitely provide an update when that claim is settled. The claim process is not exactly straightforward, but the policy says lost luggage is covered up to $1,000 per person.

Frankly, I'm not especially worked up about it since we're still sort of basking in the glow of what was truly the trip of a lifetime.

neat. could you post a couple more pictures, or link to someplace you have them online?

I imagine it would be irritating to have the outdoor clothes and boots stolen on a big trip, especially if one spent a lot of time researching and acquiring the ideal clothes/boots.

Last edited:
Wow, cool story. Thanks for sharing and I would be interested in hearing more of this trip of a lifetime.

neat. could you post a couple more pictures, or link to someplace you have them online?

I imagine it would be irritating to have the outdoor clothes and boots stolen on a big trip, especially if one spent a lot of time researching and acquiring the ideal clothes/boots.

I had over 1,200 photos, and I'm slowly winnowing them down to the keepers, so it will be a while before I can do that.

As for the technical clothing, there were people screaming "I paid thousands of dollars for the right stuff on this trip and now it's all gone?!" So there were some who were extremely upset, but most of us just rolled with the punch.

I had over 1,200 photos, and I'm slowly winnowing them down to the keepers, so it will be a while before I can do that.

As for the technical clothing, there were people screaming "I paid thousands of dollars for the right stuff on this trip and now it's all gone?!" So there were some who were extremely upset, but most of us just rolled with the punch.

What a great adventure, despite the rough beginning your trip sounded amazing. I already sent my wife a note that we should try one of this companies cruises.

No way would I have went home. It’s just stuff and it sounds like a great trip!

As inconvenient as it sounds, ultimately that "experience" adds to the trip. And as time passes, you'll just wonder more at how surreal that was vs. the pain-in-the-ass part.

note to self, always keep a carry on pack of essentials (toiletries, underwear, 2 days of clothing) in my own possession, if having luggage transported by the cruise/tour etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom