Southern Spain in February

We stayed in Feb in Seville Spain (beacuse it is warmest city in Europe). It was great. People are friendly. Weather was fantastic, oranges on the trees in the city. Food was great. Public transportation was great. We met some snowbirds from Minnesota.

It is well connetcted with the rest of Spain with high speed rail. We were in Cordoba in 42 minutes :) by train. I am trying very hard to learn Spanish and little of it goes long way in terms of how people will treat you.

It is 100 times more interesting place than Florida.

LOL, I am trying to learn Spanish right now :) without in person conversation, its hard. And I found that Spanish speaking on youtub and TV are very fast, I have trouble to following them. But I agree that Spanish speaking in Spain would be so much easier.
We will be in Spain the most of the February, back on the 28th. We will be staying Seville for 3 evening, and then AVE to Barcelona.
This forum is great! people have been provided me with various information. My last post was about the Fidelity Visacard which i am planning on using during the Spain trip. It seems have changed from the Summer this year

LOL, I am trying to learn Spanish right now :) without in person conversation, its hard. And I found that Spanish speaking on youtub and TV are very fast, I have trouble to following them. But I agree that Spanish speaking in Spain would be so much easier.

I learn using Mango Languages and I watch every day documentary films in Spanish on Netflix(those are easiest to follow). I want to keep my brain active and learning Spanish gives me a lot reward for my work. In Barcelona they speak Catalan. In Seville Spanish is enough confusing because they speak faaaaaaaast and with special accent. :)

I would stay 1-2 months in Seville. Not 3 days :). Experience culture, become local, know people working in bars, take day trips to Malaga, Cadiz, Cordoba, Italica etc, bike arround town, on Saturdays walk with marching bands arround town, on Thursdays vist famous flee market.

Last edited:
It has been many month since my last post in the forum. I am still here and still working in progress on the Spain trip.
In the fall, we went to China for a month. I called Fidelity Visacard about the trip, they noted in the system of the trip and hope not to block the transactions while in China. I confirmed that the 2% cash reward drop down to 1% due to transaction fees. In the end, we never used the Fidelity Visacard.
I called Fidelity today to inform them my trip to Spain in the end of January. The representative said no transaction fee, no foreign conversion fee, and no drop on 2% cash reward. And also, the card provide travel protection plan, includes 3k lost luggage, zero liability coverage, emergency card and cash replacement, and purchasing security. The last few items are expected from a creditcard company, but the travel protection is new to me.
Does anyone aware of the Fidelity Visacard change? Or i am given the most not up to date information?

Many thanks!!!

Yes, I can confirm that Fidelity Visa no longer charges a foreign transaction fee and you get the full 2% cash back reward. We travelled in Europe a couple of months ago.

I would vote for Charles Schwab Investors checking with Schwab Debit Visa. No fees and best exchange rate.
Also never withdraw in Spain and agree to withdraw in US Dollars instead of Euros. You will get exchange rate inflated by 7-10%. They will rob you blind. Always withdraw in Euros.

I would vote for Charles Schwab Investors checking with Schwab Debit Visa. No fees and best exchange rate.
Also never withdraw in Spain and agree to withdraw in US Dollars instead of Euros. You will get exchange rate inflated by 7-10%. They will rob you blind. Always withdraw in Euros.
The Fidelity Visa Debit card associated with the Fidelity cash management account offers the same benefits for international ATM withdrawal.

Yes, I can confirm that Fidelity Visa no longer charges a foreign transaction fee and you get the full 2% cash back reward. We travelled in Europe a couple of months ago.

Thank you for your confirmation!!! which set us forward with our planning !!!

Too many credit cards :LOL: every company offered us credit card with good reasons, but we just cant have them all. I am the nervous type, more creditcards more hacking scams

Prior to retirement we spent a fair amount of time in Florida. Often a few weeks prior to a cruise.

Since retiring 12 years ago it has been anything but. It has been Australia X2, Thailand/Malaysia/Vietnam X6 , Costa Rica,X2 Panama, Mexico X2

We have no plans this winter other than recently returning from two weeks in Mexico.

We are looking at Southern Europe. We have often visited in the fall but never the winter. Once we get inexpensive air to a Europe gateway we can take advantage of many low cost ail carriers.

This winter has been much warmer in Spain so it interests us. As does the southern coast of Morocco. Easy to do both via short ferry from Spain and rail most of the way down.

Not certain what we will do but we are very interested in other people's winter plans and reports for the area. Not unusual for us to make a decision on a good fare and depart within the week.

Last edited:
The Fidelity Visa Debit card associated with the Fidelity cash management account offers the same benefits for international ATM withdrawal.

I am debating whether we should get Fidelity ATM card, just because too many cards. We went to local AAA for euro currency exchange yesterday, and the rate was 1.17 which was high, but the euro currency has been strong since last week.
I heard that currency exchange at the airport that ever higher fees. that's no go.

Prior to retirement we spent a fair amount of time in Florida. Often a few weeks prior to a cruise.

Since retiring 12 years ago it has been anything but. It has been Australia X2, Thailand/Malaysia/Vietnam X6 , Costa Rica,X2 Panama, Mexico X2

We have no plans this winter other than recently returning from two weeks in Mexico.

We are looking at Southern Europe. We have often visited in the fall but never the winter. Once we get inexpensive air to a Europe gateway we can take advantage of many low cost ail carriers.

This winter has been much warmer in Spain so it interests us. As does the southern coast of Morocco. Easy to do both via short ferry from Spain and rail most of the way down.

Not certain what we will do but we are very interested in other people's winter plans and reports for the area. Not unusual for us to make a decision on a good fare and depart within the week.

I saw your name often in this forum with various subjects but travel thread for the most part. You are a seasoned traveler for sure, no need advices for me, an amateur traveler; that's why I like this forum more than others as it is helpful and people are truly like to provide advices. Hope you make a decision soon!
We heard that the fairs and hotels are cheaper in Spain in January and early February. The 3 weeks airbnb in southern Spain is cheaper than 5 days of Barcelona hotel stay because it's end of February in Barcelona, hotel prices are getting expensive as it moves into Spring season

I am debating whether we should get Fidelity ATM card, just because too many cards. We went to local AAA for euro currency exchange yesterday, and the rate was 1.17 which was high, but the euro currency has been strong since last week.
I heard that currency exchange at the airport that ever higher fees. that's no go.

Yeah, that’s high. The ratio has been around 1.09 $/€ . Many US banks ATM cards charge high fees for international ATM cash withdrawals. That’s why folks are recommending no fee debit cards if you want to withdraw cash while in country. Also make sure your bank knows when you’ll be overseas.

We avoid any currency exchange desk. Local ATM machines are the best way to go overseas.

Yeah, that’s high. The ratio has been around 1.09 $/€ . Many US banks ATM cards charge high fees for international ATM cash withdrawals. That’s why folks are recommending no fee debit cards if you want to withdraw cash while in country. Also make sure your bank knows when you’ll be overseas.

We avoid any currency exchange desk. Local ATM machines are the best way to go overseas.

Thanks for your advise as always!!

Does Fidelity ATM card requires specific local ATM machines? or any machines will be fee free? Do ATM machines only located in the banks? Is it safe to take the money out of ATM machine that located in the grocery store? if there is one

Thanks for your advise as always!!

Does Fidelity ATM card requires specific local ATM machines? or any machines will be fee free? Do ATM machines only located in the banks? Is it safe to take the money out of ATM machine that located in the grocery store? if there is one

The Fidelity ATM card is Visa branded. Most European ATMs accept Visa branded ATM cards. I usually go to a major bank to use the ATM machine. If there is a machine problem someone can help as long as the bank is open. Also make sure you select the charge in Euros not USD if they offer USD, otherwise you pay their inflated conversion rate. If the grocery store ATM has a major Spain bank logo it’s probably OK.

Need for cash in Europe is lower these days because most places accept credit, especially Apple Pay which is widespread and very convenient in Europe. But it’s always good to have a way to get cash.

One note on the Fidelity debit card, if you use it as a debit card at a point of sale terminal, there is a 1% fee. It’s free at ATMs for cash withdrawal. So use one of your no transaction fee credit cards instead when purchasing something. The Fidelity Visa credit card is your friend here.

The Fidelity ATM card is Visa branded. Most European ATMs accept Visa branded ATM cards. I usually go to a major bank to use the ATM machine. If there is a machine problem someone can help as long as the bank is open. Also make sure you select the charge in Euros not USD if they offer USD, otherwise you pay their inflated conversion rate. If the grocery store ATM has a major Spain bank logo it’s probably OK.

Need for cash in Europe is lower these days because most places accept credit, especially Apple Pay which is widespread and very convenient in Europe. But it’s always good to have a way to get cash.

One note on the Fidelity debit card, if you use it as a debit card at a point of sale terminal, there is a 1% fee. It’s free at ATMs for cash withdrawal. So use one of your no transaction fee credit cards instead when purchasing something. The Fidelity Visa credit card is your friend here.

Thank you so very much!!!

I am now looking at Morocco and some southern Spain in late Feb/March for 5 weeks or so.

Family issues will keep us at home until mid Feb. We were schedule to go to Morocco last Sept/Oct two days after the earthquake. We cancelled at that time.

I am now looking at Morocco and some southern Spain in late Feb/March for 5 weeks or so.

Family issues will keep us at home until mid Feb. We were schedule to go to Morocco last Sept/Oct two days after the earthquake. We cancelled at that time.

What's the situation in Morocco since they had a big earthquake? Did rescue operations complete?

There are some packaged tours, which I generally don't do but for a developing country I wondered about. But they invariably include a couple of nights out in the desert, staying in a tent, riding camels.

Would prefer just to see the old architecture and stay within cities.

Late August and early May,

Madrid->Granada>Seville->Lagos->Lisbon

Than Southern Italy.

What's the situation in Morocco since they had a big earthquake? Did rescue operations complete?

There are some packaged tours, which I generally don't do but for a developing country I wondered about. But they invariably include a couple of nights out in the desert, staying in a tent, riding camels.

Would prefer just to see the old architecture and stay within cities.

We will be doing independent travel as we planned before. South as far as Mirlef, north to Fez.

If we get enough after three weeks we will fly or ferry/bus to Marbella, etc.
Lots of LC flights from Tangier. We may even fly to BCN, then train down to Valencia to visit our SIL/BIL.

Flying and out of CMN based on our cancel agreement with the airline last year.

We may pick up a three-five day tour, not certain yet. Early days yet!

We are back from Spain trip. Thank you all for your help on the preparations before the journey. A couple things,
One is that we did running into a minor accident at the airport when we arrived at Spain. After airport medical staffs did some cleaning and patched up the wounds, they ambulanced us to the local hospital. After 4 hours with 3 xrays and 1 stitch, we were ok to go. After we expressed to pay the services, none of them knew what to go. A very long story short, we ended up at the accounting dept, we were told that the 185euro invoice will be mailed to our home at US for the service. We offered to pay right there but they were not accept it. They said that's not how things works with them. Sure, we respect that. We are home 3 weeks, we still haven't see the invoice. What shocked us was the amount. If it was in the states, it would cost fortune.
The other one is that the Barcelona hotel was super expensive while we booked many month prior. We thought it was the price in such famous city, but we were wrong. It ended up that the week of our stay was the same week as world mobile conference, so the hotels were super expensive. lesson learned in the future, not to plan your vacation same time as world conference :LOL:

Must have been a public hospital, not private.

There are a lot of stories of British retirees and tourists incurring huge medical bills in Spain.

And no they’re not sending the bill, they ask for payment right then.

Otherwise how was the trip? How was the weather?

I was in southern Spain in February, plus a couple of days in northern Morocco and a day in Gibraltar. Southern Spain has comfortable temperatures in the winter. My daily high temperature ranged from 66 (19 C) to 74 (23 C). A couple of days had some rain, but it was mostly sunny. I visited Cordoba, Sevilla, Tarifa, Tangier (Mor), Tetouan(Mor), Gibralter, Ronda, Granada. 2 weeks total.

Mostly high-speed trains in Spain except for a bus from Sevilla to Tarifa. Short ferry rides Tarifa->Tangier, Ceuta->Algeciras. Shared taxi from Tangier to Tetouan, and from Tetouan to Ceuta (a Spanish enclave surrounded by Morocco). I reserved rooms in Cordoba, Sevilla, Granada. Otherwise just showed up and my 1st choice always had availability. Saturdays were the only night when a reservation was really essential.

The Rick Steves guide to Andalucia had very useful, accurate, & practical information for everywhere I went in Spain, as well as for Tangier & Gibraltar.

I was going to fly to Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca, or Merida), but it was cheaper in February to fly to Madrid from DC than those towns in Mexico. I had been to northern Spain and Madrid previously, but I hadn't been south of Madrid before. Andalucia is brutally hot in the summer, so it's an excellent winter excursion. There were lots of European tourists in February, and lots of Spanish tourists on weekends. But I imagine crowds are much worse in the spring and fall in these locations.

The overall trip went very well besides the incident at the airport.

We spent 3 weeks at a beach town that is part of Malaga called Toremolinos. The temperature was excellent in February, as anethum described. Boardwalk had good amount of traffic, most are Europeans. We stayed in airbnb, our left neighbor was dutch and stayed for 3 month; and right neighbor was British and stayed for 2 month. They scheduled to leaving in early March.

We spent 2 more weeks to travel to Madrid, Sevile, Granada and Barcelon. Each city have their own unique style, we like Sevile the most though.

We enjoy the food very much. Love their light and fresh tapas. The wine price was cheap and good (with recommendation by other travelers).
Our dinner time is 5pm at home so we kept this habit when we travel. We quickly learned in Spain that the nice restaurants were closed at 5pm, they usually open at 7pm for dinner. We had to make some alterations on our part.

We used Fidelity credit card for all purchases which is quite convenient. We purchased local simcard for our phone. $20 for 28days, and later $10 for 10gp/month. total $30 for over a month, we think its worth it.

All in all, it was a good trip!!!

Loved Sevilla and hope to return soon. It’s a great base for exploring as well.

Tapas always worked for us for dinner. We don’t like a late big meal.

We were surprised how much we enjoyed Madrid as it is such a large bustling city, but we have been there twice and enjoyed it immensely each time.

The overall trip went very well besides the incident at the airport.

We spent 3 weeks at a beach town that is part of Malaga called Toremolinos. The temperature was excellent in February, as anethum described. Boardwalk had good amount of traffic, most are Europeans. We stayed in airbnb, our left neighbor was dutch and stayed for 3 month; and right neighbor was British and stayed for 2 month. They scheduled to leaving in early March.

We spent 2 more weeks to travel to Madrid, Sevile, Granada and Barcelon. Each city have their own unique style, we like Sevile the most though.

We enjoy the food very much. Love their light and fresh tapas. The wine price was cheap and good (with recommendation by other travelers).
Our dinner time is 5pm at home so we kept this habit when we travel. We quickly learned in Spain that the nice restaurants were closed at 5pm, they usually open at 7pm for dinner. We had to make some alterations on our part.

We used Fidelity credit card for all purchases which is quite convenient. We purchased local simcard for our phone. $20 for 28days, and later $10 for 10gp/month. total $30 for over a month, we think its worth it.

All in all, it was a good trip!!!

Which airport did you eventually fly into ?
Did you rent a car or how did you get to Toremolinos from the airport ?

Good information, thanks.

We have been considering southern Spain and Morocco for an extended winter vacation. The southern area of Morocco, Mirleft, interests us.

To that end we will soon be heading to Morocco for a month. Plan to spend some time on the southern Atlantic coast.

Getting from Morocco to Spain or vice versa is so easy. Either by fast train to Tangier, then to Tariffa or Ageciras. Or LC air to various places in Spain from several points in Morocco.

Back
Top Bottom