Join Early Retirement Today

Spending year in Czech Republic-Hints,Advice?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I am Domiter and just joined.

I retired as a college professor this March. However I also was awarded a Fulbright Distinguished Chair award to teach and do research in the Czech Republic from Sept-June. I'll be headquartered at Palacky University in Olomouć.

I am excited about this. I am watching a lot of Your tube videos about the country, going to various sites and even being tutored in Czech (what a language!!)

Any advice, information, insights, warnings etc that can be offered would be appreciated.

Thanks
Domiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiter View Post
being tutored in Czech (what a language!!)
Ain't that the truth! We rented an apartment in Prague......tried saying 'Good Morning' to the neighbors in (what we thought was) Czech....probably sounded more like Ubangi to them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Go visit Poland. It is beautiful and cheap. Kraków is a great city.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy your stay there. My DIL is from Olomouć., and the cheeses there are wonderful!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

I did a major project there a few years back. Loved Olomouc!!!
Great dining and beautiful city. If you need a hotel when you first arrive, the NH is top notch. Also, the Pandolina train from Prague is a great way to travel to Olomouc. The city center has a decent webcam if interested. I'm jealous.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiter View Post
Hi, I am Domiter and just joined.

I retired as a college professor this March. However I also was awarded a Fulbright Distinguished Chair award to teach and do research in the Czech Republic from Sept-June. I'll be headquartered at Palacky University in Olomouć.

I am excited about this. I am watching a lot of Your tube videos about the country, going to various sites and even being tutored in Czech (what a language!!)

Any advice, information, insights, warnings etc that can be offered would be appreciated.

Thanks
My DM side of family from Slovakia. Visited Prague in 1998, what a beautiful city! I've actually thought about moving there since I have relatives in Slovakia. Do you know the cost of living. I think Czech more expensive.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I think Czech more expensive.
We were there five years ago....went to a supermarket in the Prague suburbs first day......bought a bunch of groceries and three bottles of South African wine......came to the equivalent of $20 Canadian, (just over $15 US).....probably more now, but still....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

Compared to western Europe, or even Praha, Olomouc is just north of free. Certain prices rise when college is in session (rent, etc), but dining, taxis, booze, etc are cheap.

Do watch the booze. When I was there four years go, there was an issue with org crime making bootleg vodka that killed some folks. I stayed with wine and beer, and don't recall dying or even getting sick.

A few other misc tourist notes. Olomouc is a city of gorgeous churches. Sadly, the commies purged those folks (Olomouc history is a tale of tragedy in many cases) and now those same churches are largely museums and/or used for weddings, etc. Speaking of churches, there is one with a grisly torture chamber in the basement (and NO, they didn't torture grizzlys, just humans).

Don't get me started on the stinky cheese. It's cause to leave Olomouc, just get out of there.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We had thought about spending 6 months in Poland but they still burn coal and the air is seriously unhealthy then. So we probably will go for a shorter time when no heat is needed.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My family emigrated from Roznov & Ostrava in the 1880s. My dad spoke Czech and visited multiple times back in the 1990s.

He said even the little dogs were very smart, they understood Czech when their owners spoke to them.

Apparently it is a beautiful country with friendly people, it's on my bucket list.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your Fulbright award!

I’ve never been to the Czech Republic but a number of years ago I wrote a story about the Czech education system. (My magazine was devoting an issue to education in various places around the world - South Korea, Israel, Russia, Germany Etc.)

To find English speakers in CZ, I used Expat.cz to make contacts. They had a message board which I now see is an active Facebook page.

I also used the Fulbright website to find Fulbright people from the CZ who had taught here.

Hope these two sources help.

The teachers and students I “met” online were so warm and helpful.

Have a wonderful year!
HGTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote