Stuck In Ecuador

VungTau

Recycles dryer sheets
Our crazy virus travel experience....

Vung Tau, Vietnam - Dec 24: We gave up and turned over the keys to our studio apartment, stuff was already stored at a friends house, and we were on the bus to Saigon to catch our plane to Panama where we would leave for our 4 month trip thru S. America on Dec 27 after spending Christmas with friends. If only we knew what lay in store...

Dec 27: We, we being myself an American man and my Vietnamese (incl her passport) fiancee arrived at the airport at 11:00 am for our 2:00 pm flight. Plenty of time, the way I like it. Our flight went from Saigon to Taipei, LAX and finally Panama City, Panama (not the one in FL). I handed over all our documents to the check-in staff. This is when things first started going sideways. She looked at us suspiciously and went to chat with her manager. The two of them cam back looking serious and stern. "Where is her visa to the USA or her permanent residence card?", they asked. We informed them we were just transiting thru LAX on our way to Panama, not stopping in America. No way, she needs a transit visa to go thru any USA airport. Unless you have that she can’t board.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I had planned this trip from months. Panama, Chile, Peru, Ecuador – a 4 month adventure to really see the continent. How could I miss this fundamental issue – a USA transit visa. I had never even heard of it. I subsequently learned that America more or less did away with transit areas. You have to clear immigration and check back in therefore a visa/proper documentation is required. We called time-out and found a seat to discuss. They warned us we only had an hour to cancel the tickets or they would be worthless so make up our minds quickly. I rapidly went thru all the emotional states and finally cleared my head. We had no choice – cancel the trip or buy new tickets on an airline that didn’t transit thru the USA. As it turned out almost all flights go thru the USA and even the few that didn’t also needed transit visas. What a nightmare. My fiancee was insisting I go on the trip alone and she would wait for me in Vietnam. No Way!! We were going together, period! First we canceled the tickets and surprisingly got a good majority of our money back, yes! Then we sat there at Saigon airport searching online for a new flight. $17,000 on Swedish Air, hmmm, no thanks. Finally, I found a reasonable flight on Turkish and Copa Airlines. It went via Istanbul, Sao Paulo and finally Panama. A whopping 55 hour trip and we had a potential issue in Sao Paulo as no one could tell us if we needed a transit visa in Brazil and we couldn’t get a boarding pass until we arrived there. Jeeeez. We booked it and prayed. It left at 11:00 pm that same night.

I learned something on this trip. It really pays to have a passport from a developed country. My fiancees VN passport was questioned, challenged, frowned upon or even rejected everywhere we went! It started upon boarding our first flight and didn’t end until we were in our hotel 60 hours later in Panama. A Novotel King size bed never felt so good! I can tell you zombies are real as that was our physical state from about the 40 hour point on. Turkish Air were incredible the whole way, simply wonderful.

Things went relatively smoothly in Panama, Peru and Chile. February, in Santiago, in the middle of the riots there we got tear gassed once, that was a first and hopefully last. We loved the mountains, volcanoes and desert. What sights to see! Finally we were on our way to our last destination – Ecuador.

The Virus: We arrived in Quito in early March. We spent a week there before heading to the Amazon to experience the remote jungle life. It was wonderful and remote enough to be offline most of the time but we were getting tidbits that the virus was finally impacting S. America and we heard that Ecuador was going to close on March 16, our last day in the jungle. Other tourists from all over the world were scrambling to get home. The place was deserted by that night. We weren’t ready to leave Ecuador yet, logistically it would have been really difficult and we didn’t think the virus would turn into the monster it became. How wrong we were...

We have been trapped in Ecuador ever since. Vietnam has closed their borders so we can’t return home and the situation in S. America is deteriorating. Panama City and Quito are both in dire straights now. We are seriously expecting we could be here the whole year. We have been able to travel within Ecuador and have enjoyed Banos, Cuenca and now Vilcabamba. It’s a lovely country but in desperate need of international cooks, haha!

There are a lot of side stories about flooded airbnb’s, enormous hail storms, bank freezes and more but this post is long enough :)

Oh, my, what an ordeal.
Are you able to find someplace safe/decent to spend the next year at, if needed?
Best wishes to you, hope to hear more of your story.

You can fly to the USA anytime you want as there are flights everyday. The GF, well that's a different situation. But I've seen couples break up for far less.

OP - You could write a book, or how about starting a blog, to detail your "adventures" and travels.
Then we could read about how rich you become as you enthrall all your followers with the stories. :flowers:

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad to see you are keeping good attitude thru all this. Would love to hear the rest of your story. Take care.

Oh, my, what an ordeal.
Are you able to find someplace safe/decent to spend the next year at, if needed?
Best wishes to you, hope to hear more of your story.
Yes, we have found nice accommodation, helpful landlords and plentiful produce. No real issues but we sure miss home. Thanks for your and everyone's concerns and comments!

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you continued good health

We have been trapped in Ecuador ever since. Vietnam has closed their borders so we can’t return home and the situation in S. America is deteriorating. Panama City and Quito are both in dire straights now. We are seriously expecting we could be here the whole year. We have been able to travel within Ecuador and have enjoyed Banos, Cuenca and now Vilcabamba. It’s a lovely country but in desperate need of international cooks, haha!

There’s some pretty decent local cuisine if you go for that kind of thing. The ceviches and encocados are tasty, and there’s lots of goat dishes. :)

If your budget allows it, this might be an opportunity to see the Galápagos Islands.

...........If your budget allows it, this might be an opportunity to see the Galápagos Islands.
Yea, I can think of much worse places to be stuck. Ecuador has everything from the Galapagos Islands to the Andes peaks to the Amazon rain forests.

Interesting story. Try to take advantage of it as much as you can. You appear to be adventurous.

If your budget allows it, this might be an opportunity to see the Galápagos Islands.[/QUOTE]

It has just opened up again, we might have to look into it!

Our crazy virus travel experience....

Dec 27: We, we being myself an American man and my Vietnamese (incl her passport) fiancee arrived at the airport at 11:00 am for our 2:00 pm flight. Plenty of time, the way I like it...

I had planned this trip from months. Panama, Chile, Peru, Ecuador – a 4 month adventure to really see the continent...

Then we sat there at Saigon airport searching online for a new flight... It left at 11:00 pm that same night.

Things went relatively smoothly in Panama, Peru and Chile. February, in Santiago, in the middle of the riots there we got tear gassed once, that was a first and hopefully last. We loved the mountains, volcanoes and desert. What sights to see! Finally we were on our way to our last destination – Ecuador.

The Virus: We arrived in Quito in early March. We spent a week there before heading to the Amazon to experience the remote jungle life. It was wonderful and remote enough to be offline most of the time but we were getting tidbits that the virus was finally impacting S. America and we heard that Ecuador was going to close on March 16, our last day in the jungle. Other tourists from all over the world were scrambling to get home. The place was deserted by that night. We weren’t ready to leave Ecuador yet, logistically it would have been really difficult and we didn’t think the virus would turn into the monster it became. How wrong we were...

There are a lot of side stories about flooded airbnb’s, enormous hail storms, bank freezes and more but this post is long enough :)

Wow, what a story! So, your planned trip for 4 months is still on-going after 7 months. When one has money and does not have to work, he can make the best of the situation and try to survive. I shudder to think of vacationers who get stuck and their bank account run low. What do they do? Pan-handling in a foreign country?

Please keep us posted. If you are a Youtuber and a good story teller, you can get some views and make some money. :)

PS. Stay safe, and try to not get sick with this virus.

Last edited:
This is an amazing adventure and ordeal! If you and your fiancée stay intact after all this, you are truly meant for each other. I went to Peru and Ecuador last summer, and not being an experienced international traveler, opted for a small group tour. I felt safe and well-looked after, so that I could more fully appreciate the Inca ruins in Peru and the Galapagos in Ecuador. So glad I missed traveling to South America during a pandemic. Thank you for sharing with us your incredible story.

Wow, what a story! So, your planned trip for 4 months is still on-going after 7 months. When one has money and does not have to work, he can make the best of the situation and try to survive. I shudder to think of vacationers who get stuck and their bank account run low. What do they do? Pan-handling in a foreign country?

Please keep us posted. If you are a Youtuber and a good story teller, you can get some views and make some money. :)

PS. Stay safe, and try to not get sick with this virus.

We have met a few of those unfortunate travelers who don't have the financial resources to ride this out. They banded together to share accommodation, got help from the local people and are surviving. Guess there are a lot of people with crazier stories than ours...

Thanks for your thoughts!

We took Turkish Air from Zagreb to Istanbul and then on to Zurich. It was one of our finest airline experiences.

While we enjoyed Mexico immensely, and had lived there 6 out of the last 8 years, we became a bit bored after the lockdowns. What's Mexico without roving bands of tourists drunk on Tequila? No parades? No fireworks? It got very quiet and started feeling a lot like the movie Groundhog Day.

We began thinking about returning to the States to ride out the virus in an RV. At about the same time, we began to get concerned about actually getting back. Our first flights were cancelled, and subsequent flights were as well. And who knew when some President might just shut down the border? We finally rented a car, drove half-way across the country and *walked* back across the border carrying everything we own.

We also want to explore South America. Hopefully we can do it without being trapped...

Very sorry for your hardships, but at least you've got a lot of amazing stories to tell!

While we enjoyed Mexico immensely, and had lived there 6 out of the last 8 years, we became a bit bored after the lockdowns. What's Mexico without roving bands of tourists drunk on Tequila? No parades? No fireworks? It got very quiet and started feeling a lot like the movie Groundhog Day.

We began thinking about returning to the States to ride out the virus in an RV. At about the same time, we began to get concerned about actually getting back. Our first flights were cancelled, and subsequent flights were as well. And who knew when some President might just shut down the border? We finally rented a car, drove half-way across the country and *walked* back across the border carrying everything we own.

We also want to explore South America. Hopefully we can do it without being trapped...

Very sorry for your hardships, but at least you've got a lot of amazing stories to tell!
Wow. What part of Mexico were you living in?

We were booked on a direct flight to Vancouver April 26th. That had been planned last fall because DW was schedule to have her hip replaced June 10th. When that flight was cancelled, we started looking at local surgery and she got the operation done in May (Canada had cancelled her date with no reschedule).

When the physio sessions were done, we flew American through DFW July 15th from PV. Everyone was masked the whole way. We had to overnight in DFW. Going into our second week of our quarantine.

If your budget allows it, this might be an opportunity to see the Galápagos Islands.

It has just opened up again, we might have to look into it![/QUOTE]

If your budget stretches this far, I highly recommend a cruise with Juan Salcedo on the Samba. He's a second-generation guide, is exceptionally knowledgeable and has great connections (which means good landing times, etc). The Samba was comfortable and well-equipped, and you travel with a small enough group (about 12-14 guests) that you can experience the Islands without crowds. We booked through Cheesemans but there are other companies (like this link) that offer tours:

https://www.cnhtours.com/active-tours/classic-active-on-the-samba/dates-details/

And here's a link to some of my photographs from our trip in 2016:
https://www.frogoutofwater.ca/Portfolio/Wild/Galapagos-Islands-2016/

One other thing - prior to our cruise, we stopped in Guayaquil to help Rescate Animal Ecuador, which was mobilizing resources to help dogs and cats after the earthquake. We've stayed connected with them ever since - and if you are looking for an animal rescue group to support while you are in-country, you might check them out. Their regular website is down for maintenance but here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/RescateAnimalEc/

And here's a link to some of the photos I took at their shelter. The first eight photos in this series are from their emergency shelter. (The next eight are from work I've done in Puerto Vallarta.)
https://www.frogoutofwater.ca/Portfolio/Rescue-and-Sanctuary/Dog-and-cat-rescue/

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing vungtau and hope you guys are able to ride out the rest of this in relative safety and comfort!

Interestingly there is an American couple retired in Ecuador that posts on here (I think?) and was vacationing through Southern Europe when the virus hit. They were trapped in Portugal for many months and I believe just finally made it home recently.

Back
Top Bottom