Join Early Retirement Today

Suggestions for MaineCoast/Bar Harbor
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Suggestions for MaineCoast/Bar Harbor

We’re thinking of flying into Boston?, renting a car, and enjoying the scenery and seafood of the Maine coast for a few days. Any experiences or suggestions to aid in my planning are welcome and appreciated!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

My next door neighbor (in Alabama) lived his adult life as a professor in Boston. When we were going to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, he warned us that Boston was about halfway. It was still a long drive from the Manchester Airport to Sydney and back.

Our favorite part about the trip was along the Maine coast. That is where we found lobster shacks, huge sailing ships and reasonable accommodations. And.our favorite town was Camden. Many homes of the ship's great captains have been turned into fabulous B&Bs, and the bay is.absolutely beautiful.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Administrator

Reprising an old post of mine (although we're up to 17 years now)

Quote:
For the past ten years, we have rented a place in Damariscotta, Maine for two weeks every summer. Here is a list of things that I would recommend, going north from Portland to Bar Harbor on Route 1:

1. Go to the gigantic L.L. Bean store in Freeport, as well as some of the other clothing outlets on the main street.

2. Go to Orr's and Bailey's Islands in Casco Bay (yes, you can drive there). Have lunch at Cook's Lobster House on Baileys Island. If you don't sit outside, get a table with a view of the famous Bailey's Island Bridge, the only cribstone bridge in the world (over which you will have driven to get there).

3. Stop in Wiscasset, Maine and shop in all the antique and used book stores and art galleries. You might be tempted by a lobster roll from Red's, but Sarah's across the road is a better place to eat.

4. Go to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay. Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens: Discover Spectacular Gardens and Waterfront Landscapes on 250 Acres in Boothbay, Maine - Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens You might visit Boothbay Harbor while you are there (we think it is kitschy and prefer Camden instead)

5. Damariscotta has a nice downtown shopping area. The Coastal Maine Book Store is a great independent book store. A good meal can be had at the Damariscotta River Grill or, if you've not yet had your fill of them, go to Larson's Lunch Box for a lobster roll. We think they're the best in Maine. Drive down the peninsula to Pemaquid Light, which is one of the most picturesque lighthouses on the Maine coast.

6. Stop at Moody's Diner in Waldoboro for the blueberry pie. Moody's Diner

7. Stop in Rockland and take a windjammer day cruise on Penobscot Bay. Look online as there are a variety of choices. While you're there, visit the Farnsworth Art Museum, particularly if you are fans of Andrew Wyeth. Farnsworth Art Museum | Celebrating Maine's Role in American Art You might also enjoy a drive/hike out to Owl's Head light, which has got to be the best base housing in the Coast Guard. Owl's Head Lighthouse, Owl's Head, Maine. Don't miss all the historic cars and aircraft at the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. Welcome to the Owls Head Transportation Museum, Celebrating Transportation History for over 35 Years

8. Go to Camden, which I think is one of the most beautiful towns in existence. Hike up Mount Megunticook, in Camden Hills State Park for a spectacular view of town (you can start on the trail right from downtown) or drive out five minutes and climb the trail to the Maiden Cliff on the other side of the mountain. Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands - Search for Parks and Properties When you get back down, have lunch at the Waterfront Restaurant. Home | The Waterfront Restaurant, Camden Harbor, Maine

There is a lot more to do in Maine, but for the part between Portland and Bar Harbor, I think these are the best.

Have a great trip!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

3. Stop in Wiscasset, Maine and shop in all the antique and used book stores and art galleries. You might be tempted by a lobster roll from Red's, but Sarah's across the road is a better place to eat.

This caught my eye. Sarah's in Wiscasset is one of my favorite places to eat in all my long life. We have dined there twice - certainly hope we get back one day soon.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
gone traveling

my wife flew into Boston where I picked her up on my motorcycle. She stayed with me 12 days and we toured by day and camped every night. we made no plans, and had an outstanding trip.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just expect crowds, although that is true anywhere anymore.

DW and I hiked in Acadia NP several years ago, and could not escape the sound of cars, trucks, and traffic. Trails were crowded, and we were never alone.

DW and I hiked in Glacier NP several weeks ago, and COULD escape the cars, trucks and traffic. Trails were extremely crowded, and rarely experienced an "alone" moment. And that included the 10+mile hikes.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I remember going with my brother and parents to Maine back in the mid-1970s. We stayed at a small cottage next to a pond for 2 weeks but we did do some sightseeing at some coastal towns. One was Camden, mentioned by some others. We all liked going there, the most touristy town which was close to where we were staying, about 10 miles inland.

My parents loved lobster, so they enjoyed finding little places to eat them for dinner. One was in Lincolnville, just up the coast on Rte. 1 from Camden. All I remember about the place was that it's right near the ferry terminal for the Isleboro Ferry which went across the bay to Isleboro Island.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Our first vacation as a 19 year old married couple was up the coast of Maine in 1976. I'm sure it's all different today. We stayed a couple days at Goose Rocks beach. Awesome place with nobody there. We had the beach to ourselves.

Bar Harbor was awesome, pack a wetsuit.

On the way home we realized we had $15.00 to get home on, no CC. We had a night and a full day drive. We found a place near a beach for $3.50 a night. The bed was so horrible we slid into the middle all night. Even at 19 it was too close.

Thanks for a great memory.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

What Gumby said. +1

Try the map, from Portland to Camden... Rte. 295 to Rte. 1
All along the way, access to seaside towns and islands.

Memories of the 50's:
Be sure to drive thru Brunswick and see my College. Best friend ever lives at the tip of Mere Point. Beautiful. His family owned the Harriet Beecher Stowe House in Brunswick, where Louisa May Alcott wrote Uncle Tom's cabin. We studied at the secretary where it was written, back in the 50's. His great uncle was Governor Baxter of Maine at one time, and Baxter State Park (where Mt. Katahdin) is located is farther north, near Millinocket. My friend married a blood relative of Governor Baxter, to keep it in the family.

https://www.bowdoin.edu/stowe-house/

Bailey's Island and Orr Island... a must, Popham Beach my favorite, but a little off the main road.

Bar harbor is pretty nice and Mt. Desert Island contains Arcadia National Park.
.................................................. ................................
For a great experience, (not suggested for a short trip) to the northern tip... Presque Isle, or Madawaska, where you can learn the richness of the northern Maine accent.

"Bin pickin taters he yah in 'Roostic County nigh onta fawty nigh on ye ahs, doncha no? Down Maine, butcha kainnt git thair frum he yah."
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''
Back when I was a district manager ... in the 1970's, My favorite stores were in those two towns. Wonderful people in part of America that most folks don't get to. Bilingual... French and English.

Dearly wish I could go back... special part of the world, special people.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
my wife flew into Boston where I picked her up on my motorcycle. She stayed with me 12 days and we toured by day and camped every night. we made no plans, and had an outstanding trip.
How do you find places to camp every night? I assume you mean tent camping? Do you just find local start parks and pull up hoping for the best? Or find KOA or something like that?
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
How do you find places to camp every night? I assume you mean tent camping? Do you just find local start parks and pull up hoping for the best? Or find KOA or something like that?
One possibility... My Woodhaven Campground is part of a nationwide resort campground group.
For regular campers of any kind... tent, camper or cabins... To become a member, must be based in a "home" campground. In our case, Woodhaven Lakes... Ususally nearby one's home where a camper can be left, but, anywhere , in any Coast to Coast Campground.

https://www.coastresorts.com/

For anyone planning to make some kind of camping a part of early retirement, this site is worth looking in to.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
Smugglers Notch state park was a plan but all the others were found on the fly. White lake state park, was very convient so we stay there a few nights...took an all day canoe trip one day, lobster boat a day. We ran out of time for all of maine. we will go back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 324.jpg (88.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 296.jpg (155.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 42 (9).jpg (799.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 115 (2).jpg (184.5 KB, 36 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 AM   #13

A long way up the coast, but I've camped a couple of times at Cobscook Bay State Park. Nice campsites, and it's right in the Bay of Fundy so you can really see the incredible tides.

It's also a short drive to Campobello Island to see the Roosevelt summer home.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.04.44 AM.png
Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You might check out Booth Bay Harbor. Great seafood and art galleries.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Highlights of our trip a couple years ago were Acadia NP, Island Land Bridge (low tide walk across to island but don't get caught over there at high tide), LULUs Lobster boat (teaches you about lobster fishing where they actually bring in traps), Schoodic Peninsula(did see dolphins and couple of seals while there), Kennebunkport St Anns Church and Walkers Point. There are just a few parking spots to view Walkers Point. We went early. We just missed the blueberry season but different farmer markets had blueberry pies! Tried out different Lobster Shacks. Go to the ones with the most cars parked in front. Had a great time.
Steve s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Great tips!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Spend a night or two in Portsmouth. Good restaurants, brew pups. Lots of history. Fun place.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have been to Bar Harbor 3 times. The most recent time was a couple years ago, on an RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes. I could hardly recognize the place, and kept thinking I was at the wrong place.

Turned out that it became a stop for cruise ships, and that completely changed its character, for better or for worse.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We enjoyed all the history in both Boston and Maine. Also went to the Rhode Island mansions right on the ocean. Went through a few shops but prefer other things.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A long way up the coast, but I've camped a couple of times at Cobscook Bay State Park. Nice campsites, and it's right in the Bay of Fundy so you can really see the incredible tides.

It's also a short drive to Campobello Island to see the Roosevelt summer home.

Attachment 29370
I enjoyed seeing the map. My grandparents lived in Whiting. Adjacent to RTE 1. To get to Campabello Island, you'd make a right at the stop sign (right by their house, just overlooking the dam). Grandpa and Nana would sit on the porch and watch the cars go by.

One time there were four cars at the stop sign. Grandpa said: "Geez, there should be a cop directing traffic".

When I visited in the summer, the big treat was to go to Campobello and have fish and chips.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote