Join Early Retirement Today

Summertime in North America
Old 11-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Summertime in North America

What's an affordable, interesting destination for summertime visits?

Imagining a place with nice weather, beauty or attractions of some kind, and affordable short-term housing options. Preferably in a walkable downtown area.

Affordable is certainly a subjective term so feel free to suggest what you think fits. I just mainly want to eliminate the hotspots near NYC, Boston, etc (eg Cape Cod, Hamptons) that cost a premium just because they're nearby and convenient. Since I can spend my time anywhere there's no need for that. Thanks!!
projectmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Marquette, Mich.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spend the summer in the NC mountains at Banner Elk NC. Beautiful area with wonderful summer weather. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots to do --hiking, music, history, scenery, arts and crafts, good food. More affordable than most tourist areas. Banner Elk is small and walkable, Boone is larger and also walkable and has a nice university. But you will need a car to get around and see the sights, there is not much in the way of public transportation although Boone has a bus system. I see you are from Miami, at least half the cars in the Banner Elk area during the summer have Florida license plates.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Canada.

The US dollar is worth ~ $1.20 Canadian, so you are getting a discount on everything. Just use a CC that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Of course this all depends upon Covid levels next summer.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cedarville, Mi.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Marquette, Mich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Cedarville, Mi.
ME and MI are the two most intriguing summer spots for me, though ME doesn't seem to have any "affordable" towns. My roommate in grad school was from Marquette but otherwise I know nothing of these places. Will look into it a bit more thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We spend the summer in the NC mountains at Banner Elk NC. Beautiful area with wonderful summer weather. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots to do --hiking, music, history, scenery, arts and crafts, good food. More affordable than most tourist areas. Banner Elk is small and walkable, Boone is larger and also walkable and has a nice university. But you will need a car to get around and see the sights, there is not much in the way of public transportation although Boone has a bus system. I see you are from Miami, at least half the cars in the Banner Elk area during the summer have Florida license plates.
Nice! My friend just spent a week in Boone, it looked amazing although this was in October with the leaves changing. I'm sure it's enjoyable in the summertime too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Canada.

The US dollar is worth ~ $1.20 Canadian, so you are getting a discount on everything. Just use a CC that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Of course this all depends upon Covid levels next summer.
You have any particular spots that you enjoy? I've been to Niagara-on-the-lake for a day and it was lovely but probably expensive (I didn't seek housing). Also would be interested in spots in BC or AB, but I'm sure prices are sky-high in Jasper and Banff during the summer.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

It may help people give you better suggestions if you could give us an idea of what 'affordable' is (i.e. short-term apartment rentals of XX per month) as well as what type of beauty or attractions you like.

Santa Fe NM is lovely but I don't know if it fits your criteria. Same with Boulder CO.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I went to Novia Scotia a few summers ago and loved it and it did not seem very expensive at that time.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #9

I'm rather partial to Maine, the UP, and the Canadian Maritimes (including Newfoundland). The Rocky Mountains are another favorite place, but unless you're at a fairly high elevation it can be just as hot as sea level.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
It may help people give you better suggestions if you could give us an idea of what 'affordable' is (i.e. short-term apartment rentals of XX per month) as well as what type of beauty or attractions you like.

Santa Fe NM is lovely but I don't know if it fits your criteria. Same with Boulder CO.
I'll answer you: let's say $3000/month for 2 bedrooms and really anything that anyone would consider beautiful is something I like...ie, any large body of water, mountains, national parks or city skyline lol.

But I'll repeat that I want to hear all suggestions that anyone considers affordable as I'd rather hear too many options than have one slip through the cracks. Also, when I ask for "affordable" recommendations I'm pretty much just trying to steer clear of "overpriced" destinations, so I'd be willing to go well above the $3k number if it is genuinely worth it, not simply expensive because it's where massive numbers of people are used to going for many years.

How is Santa Fe's climate in the summer? It is very intriguing.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

You have any particular spots that you enjoy? I've been to Niagara-on-the-lake for a day and it was lovely but probably expensive (I didn't seek housing). Also would be interested in spots in BC or AB, but I'm sure prices are sky-high in Jasper and Banff during the summer.
Stopping in Ottawa (capital) is interesting as they have the Parliament (can tour it) and many museums. Across the river is the province of Quebec and there is the museum of civilization basically across from the Parliament buildings.

In Kingston, (about 122 or so miles from Ottawa) is Fort Henry
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/kingston/Fort-Henry

About 60 miles from Ottawa is Upper Canada Village,
https://www.uppercanadavillage.com/about-the-village/

Long time ago, I went to the East coast, Nova Scotia, PEI, etc, there is fort louisbourg
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg

I hope to get to Alberta and the Rockies myself.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:19 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Marquette, Mich.
+1,

And others in Mi:
Traverse City
Petoskey
Saugatuck
Charlevoix

And:
Bayfield, Wi
Sister Bay, Wi
Estes Park Co
Ouray Co
Grand Marais Mn
Jackson Wy
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Kennebunkport or Ogunquit, ME
Ogunquit gets a little crowed during the summer months.
We went to Kennebunkport every year for 10 years before COVID. Very walkable town with good restaurants.
Newport, RI might be an option too, but I don’t know how affordable it would be for a long term stay. The “Summer Cottages” are a must for anyone at least once.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I was going to mention the Finger Lakes region of NY. It often gets overshadowed by NYC, but a beautiful region and considered wine country for NY. We stayed in Geneva on Seneca Lake.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Pacific NW (both US and Canada) are nice in summer.

We would probably go to Victoria BC or nearby. But lots in Washington state and Oregon.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'll answer you: let's say $3000/month for 2 bedrooms and really anything that anyone would consider beautiful is something I like...ie, any large body of water, mountains, national parks or city skyline lol.

But I'll repeat that I want to hear all suggestions that anyone considers affordable as I'd rather hear too many options than have one slip through the cracks. Also, when I ask for "affordable" recommendations I'm pretty much just trying to steer clear of "overpriced" destinations, so I'd be willing to go well above the $3k number if it is genuinely worth it, not simply expensive because it's where massive numbers of people are used to going for many years.

How is Santa Fe's climate in the summer? It is very intriguing.
You could rent nice condo in the NC mountains for around $3000 per month.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget to consider AC when booking your accommodations. For example, most ski condos will have no AC. This is never a problem for the highest elevations in the Rockies (e.g. Mt Crested Butte), but it can be more problematic in the somewhat lower elevations for a few weeks each summer (Vail/Avon). I still book Avon, but I make sure I can move cool night time air into the Condo bedroom somehow with a fan, if necessary (i.e two windows with a fan pointing out one of them).
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
I was going to mention the Finger Lakes region of NY. It often gets overshadowed by NYC, but a beautiful region and considered wine country for NY. We stayed in Geneva on Seneca Lake.
+1
My family, the few normal ones, is from Watkins Glen. I spent a lot of summers at the lake. If you're planning on swimming September is the best time .
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Talking
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
My family, the few normal ones, is from Watkins Glen. I spent a lot of summers at the lake. If you're planning on swimming September is the best time .
Just out of curiosity where do the abnormal members of your family live? Let us know so we can avoid that area.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouray +1
Jackson Hole +1

Kauai
Plymouth CA
Brookings, OR
Ft. Bragg, CA
Elk Mountain, WY