Summertime in North America

projectmaximus

Recycles dryer sheets
What's an affordable, interesting destination for summertime visits?

Imagining a place with nice weather, beauty or attractions of some kind, and affordable short-term housing options. Preferably in a walkable downtown area.

Affordable is certainly a subjective term so feel free to suggest what you think fits. I just mainly want to eliminate the hotspots near NYC, Boston, etc (eg Cape Cod, Hamptons) that cost a premium just because they're nearby and convenient. Since I can spend my time anywhere there's no need for that. Thanks!!:dance:

We spend the summer in the NC mountains at Banner Elk NC. Beautiful area with wonderful summer weather. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots to do --hiking, music, history, scenery, arts and crafts, good food. More affordable than most tourist areas. Banner Elk is small and walkable, Boone is larger and also walkable and has a nice university. But you will need a car to get around and see the sights, there is not much in the way of public transportation although Boone has a bus system. I see you are from Miami, at least half the cars in the Banner Elk area during the summer have Florida license plates.

Canada.

The US dollar is worth ~ $1.20 Canadian, so you are getting a discount on everything. Just use a CC that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Of course this all depends upon Covid levels next summer.

Marquette, Mich.

Cedarville, Mi. :cool:

ME and MI are the two most intriguing summer spots for me, though ME doesn't seem to have any "affordable" towns. My roommate in grad school was from Marquette but otherwise I know nothing of these places. Will look into it a bit more thanks.

We spend the summer in the NC mountains at Banner Elk NC. Beautiful area with wonderful summer weather. Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lots to do --hiking, music, history, scenery, arts and crafts, good food. More affordable than most tourist areas. Banner Elk is small and walkable, Boone is larger and also walkable and has a nice university. But you will need a car to get around and see the sights, there is not much in the way of public transportation although Boone has a bus system. I see you are from Miami, at least half the cars in the Banner Elk area during the summer have Florida license plates.

Nice! My friend just spent a week in Boone, it looked amazing although this was in October with the leaves changing. I'm sure it's enjoyable in the summertime too

Canada.

The US dollar is worth ~ $1.20 Canadian, so you are getting a discount on everything. Just use a CC that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Of course this all depends upon Covid levels next summer.

You have any particular spots that you enjoy? I've been to Niagara-on-the-lake for a day and it was lovely but probably expensive (I didn't seek housing). Also would be interested in spots in BC or AB, but I'm sure prices are sky-high in Jasper and Banff during the summer.

It may help people give you better suggestions if you could give us an idea of what 'affordable' is (i.e. short-term apartment rentals of XX per month) as well as what type of beauty or attractions you like.

Santa Fe NM is lovely but I don't know if it fits your criteria. Same with Boulder CO.

I went to Novia Scotia a few summers ago and loved it and it did not seem very expensive at that time.

I'm rather partial to Maine, the UP, and the Canadian Maritimes (including Newfoundland). The Rocky Mountains are another favorite place, but unless you're at a fairly high elevation it can be just as hot as sea level.

It may help people give you better suggestions if you could give us an idea of what 'affordable' is (i.e. short-term apartment rentals of XX per month) as well as what type of beauty or attractions you like.

Santa Fe NM is lovely but I don't know if it fits your criteria. Same with Boulder CO.

I'll answer you: let's say $3000/month for 2 bedrooms and really anything that anyone would consider beautiful is something I like...ie, any large body of water, mountains, national parks or city skyline lol.

But I'll repeat that I want to hear all suggestions that anyone considers affordable as I'd rather hear too many options than have one slip through the cracks. Also, when I ask for "affordable" recommendations I'm pretty much just trying to steer clear of "overpriced" destinations, so I'd be willing to go well above the $3k number if it is genuinely worth it, not simply expensive because it's where massive numbers of people are used to going for many years.

How is Santa Fe's climate in the summer? It is very intriguing.

You have any particular spots that you enjoy? I've been to Niagara-on-the-lake for a day and it was lovely but probably expensive (I didn't seek housing). Also would be interested in spots in BC or AB, but I'm sure prices are sky-high in Jasper and Banff during the summer.

Stopping in Ottawa (capital) is interesting as they have the Parliament (can tour it) and many museums. Across the river is the province of Quebec and there is the museum of civilization basically across from the Parliament buildings.

In Kingston, (about 122 or so miles from Ottawa) is Fort Henry
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/kingston/Fort-Henry

About 60 miles from Ottawa is Upper Canada Village,
https://www.uppercanadavillage.com/about-the-village/

Long time ago, I went to the East coast, Nova Scotia, PEI, etc, there is fort louisbourg
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg

I hope to get to Alberta and the Rockies myself. :popcorn:

Kennebunkport or Ogunquit, ME
Ogunquit gets a little crowed during the summer months.
We went to Kennebunkport every year for 10 years before COVID. Very walkable town with good restaurants.
Newport, RI might be an option too, but I don’t know how affordable it would be for a long term stay. The “Summer Cottages” are a must for anyone at least once.

I was going to mention the Finger Lakes region of NY. It often gets overshadowed by NYC, but a beautiful region and considered wine country for NY. We stayed in Geneva on Seneca Lake.

Pacific NW (both US and Canada) are nice in summer.

We would probably go to Victoria BC or nearby. But lots in Washington state and Oregon.

I'll answer you: let's say $3000/month for 2 bedrooms and really anything that anyone would consider beautiful is something I like...ie, any large body of water, mountains, national parks or city skyline lol.

But I'll repeat that I want to hear all suggestions that anyone considers affordable as I'd rather hear too many options than have one slip through the cracks. Also, when I ask for "affordable" recommendations I'm pretty much just trying to steer clear of "overpriced" destinations, so I'd be willing to go well above the $3k number if it is genuinely worth it, not simply expensive because it's where massive numbers of people are used to going for many years.

You could rent nice condo in the NC mountains for around $3000 per month.

Don't forget to consider AC when booking your accommodations. For example, most ski condos will have no AC. This is never a problem for the highest elevations in the Rockies (e.g. Mt Crested Butte), but it can be more problematic in the somewhat lower elevations for a few weeks each summer (Vail/Avon). I still book Avon, but I make sure I can move cool night time air into the Condo bedroom somehow with a fan, if necessary (i.e two windows with a fan pointing out one of them).

I was going to mention the Finger Lakes region of NY. It often gets overshadowed by NYC, but a beautiful region and considered wine country for NY. We stayed in Geneva on Seneca Lake.
+1
My family, the few normal ones, is from Watkins Glen. I spent a lot of summers at the lake. If you're planning on swimming September is the best time .

+1
My family, the few normal ones, is from Watkins Glen. I spent a lot of summers at the lake. If you're planning on swimming September is the best time .

Just out of curiosity where do the abnormal members of your family live? Let us know so we can avoid that area.

We live in Tucson so escaping in the summer feels more like a necessity than a luxury. We have family in the Pacific NW (Seattle and points north) and normally it's paradise up there in the summer weather-wise (except for this year when we spent ~10 days dealing with scorching hot temperatures inside and out since almost no one has A/C up there).

Santa Fe is indeed just about ideal that time of year provided being based at 7000 feet with good hiking often going close to 10,000 works for you. Crisp evenings, daytime highs in the low 80's. You need to book far in advance to get a casita or other accommodation and the place will be crawling with fellow tourists but the busyness is tempered by its small size. Great food and culture.

I don't recommend Boulder anymore, despite having lived there for decades and still having friends there. At only 5000 feet it gets quite hot (mid-90's aren't uncommon) in the summer and is also very expensive and completely over-run (expect full parking lots at every trailhead even on the weekdays). For Colorado you want real mountains: 8000 feet plus, in places like Frisco, Crested Butte, Telluride, perhaps Pagosa Springs.

Also important to keep in mind when considering anyplace that's densely forested is the very real possibility of paying top dollar to book a place well in advance only to end up breathing in wildfire smoke all summer. We did so for a month in Boulder this July - and the smoke was mostly from wildfires in Northern California. It's the new normal, along with excessive heat.

Just out of curiosity where do the abnormal members of your family live? Let us know so we can avoid that area.
PA. They left paradise for coal country.

For $3K, you can find something nice just about anywhere. Even the most expensive west coast cities have places in that range. Plus, we have much nicer summer weather than the east coast with no need for AC in a lot of places or worries about mosquitoes.

Here's a list of options in San Diego: https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Diego-...d States&place_id=ChIJHWD_IzDr24ARKAeA6yv9DTU

Here's San Francisco: https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Franci...d States&place_id=ChIJIQBpAG2ahYAR_6128GcTUEo

Thanks so much for all the ideas. Really appreciate everyone sharing.

Stopping in Ottawa (capital) is interesting as they have the Parliament (can tour it) and many museums. Across the river is the province of Quebec and there is the museum of civilization basically across from the Parliament buildings.

In Kingston, (about 122 or so miles from Ottawa) is Fort Henry
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/kingston/Fort-Henry

About 60 miles from Ottawa is Upper Canada Village,
https://www.uppercanadavillage.com/about-the-village/

Long time ago, I went to the East coast, Nova Scotia, PEI, etc, there is fort louisbourg
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg

I hope to get to Alberta and the Rockies myself. :popcorn:

I am familiar with Ottawa...but these other places definitely interest me. My "nature" travel is quite limited (city aficionado here) so for what it's worth, that entire stretch from Jasper to Banff was the most amazing thing I can recall. Definitely get there when you can!

+1,

And others in Mi:
Traverse City
Petoskey
Saugatuck
Charlevoix

And:
Bayfield, Wi
Sister Bay, Wi
Estes Park Co
Ouray Co
Grand Marais Mn
Jackson Wy

Yes yes yes.

Kennebunkport or Ogunquit, ME
Ogunquit gets a little crowed during the summer months.
We went to Kennebunkport every year for 10 years before COVID. Very walkable town with good restaurants.
Newport, RI might be an option too, but I don’t know how affordable it would be for a long term stay. The “Summer Cottages” are a must for anyone at least once.

I was just in Kennebunkport and Ogunquit a few months ago. Will have to add Summer Cottages to the list.

Ouray +1
Jackson Hole +1

Kauai
Plymouth CA
Brookings, OR
Ft. Bragg, CA
Elk Mountain, WY

Jackson Hole for sure!

For $3K, you can find something nice just about anywhere. Even the most expensive west coast cities have places in that range. Plus, we have much nicer summer weather than the east coast with no need for AC in a lot of places or worries about mosquitoes.

Here's a list of options in San Diego: https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Diego-...d States&place_id=ChIJHWD_IzDr24ARKAeA6yv9DTU

Here's San Francisco: https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Franci...d States&place_id=ChIJIQBpAG2ahYAR_6128GcTUEo

Wow! I feel like those airbnbs in SF did not used to exist. Or the prices have come down. I have searched for sub $3k listings in SF over the past two summers prior to Covid and it was always VERY slim pickins. Way more options in your search. Which might make sense since avg rent is down slightly in SF as well. Thanks for sending me the search results!

Northern New England, upstate New York and Quebec are lovely in the summer. I'd look into staying in a cabin or cottage on Lake Champlain somewhere or perhaps in Burlington, VT or Plattsburgh, NY or Magog, Quebec.

Back
Top Bottom