T-Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas

No cell service where I live, but T-Mobile has gone from nonexistent to better than Verizon in the local area in the last couple of years. I think the newer compatible phones are required for that better reception.

Costco Waves T Mobile sim card fee

Earlier today I checked on the T Mobile 55+ plan at Costco. Costco waves the $25 per phone sim/activation fee required at other T Mobile retailers.

I tried T-mobile 4 years ago, but had to switch to AT&T because T-mobile's coverage where I live and work was poor. I'm talking about not even 3G data coverage on local Interstates where all three of the other major carriers had solid service.

In January I switched to Project Fi and installed one of their data only SIMs in my iPad Air 1. It's my understanding that the data only SIM cards only access T-mobile's network so recently I've been doing a little spot testing with my iPad. Low and behold, it looks like T-mobile really has improved their coverage in my area. I had a solid data connection on the 36 mile commute to work on the Interstate, and I clocked a 25Mbps download speed from my living room!

I still think that Verizon offers the broadest coverage of any single carrier, but I have to update my opinion about T-mobile to say that if you haven't tried them in a few years, they just may have improved their coverage in your area.

T Moblie 55+ Plan Price Increase

Pricing for the 55+ plan increases $10 to $70 (2 lines) March 15th. Current participants will not see a price increase.

"T-Mobile says that the Unlimited 55+ plan will cost $70 per month for new customers starting March 15. That price is $10 more than the Unlimited 55+ plan currently costs. The $70 pricing will include taxes"

In January I switched to Project Fi and installed one of their data only SIMs in my iPad Air 1. It's my understanding that the data only SIM cards only access T-mobile's network so recently I've been doing a little spot testing with my iPad. Low and behold, it looks like T-mobile really has improved their coverage in my area. I had a solid data connection on the 36 mile commute to work on the Interstate, and I clocked a 25Mbps download speed from my living room!

I'll bet you were using you're home's wifi and broadband. I don't think 4G is anywhere near that fast.

I'll bet you were using you're home's wifi and broadband. I don't think 4G is anywhere near that fast.

Actually it can be even faster. I was getting higher speeds using a Sprint hotspot last year:

My first speed test was 27.2 down, 8.3 up (ping 70) - and that was the slowest speed I've seen!

Well then, I lose my bet.

I had the WiFi switch on the iPad off and I clocked an even faster time than that in Munich's airport last week when I was not authenticated to any WiFi network using the same iPad. I was very surprised too. Ain't technology great :)

Now I am curious about what I could use for a WiFi hotspot at home on Project Fi? 25Mbps seems like it would be fast enough to support my work-from-home needs and, at $10/Gig, dropping broadband at home could be an option for a limited data user like me.

I've gotten download speeds up to 60Mbps with LTE on an iPhone 6 (this was when I was with AT&T.) My home service is only 30/15! I routinely see faster than 30 with T-Mobile, but that's still way faster than anything I need.

We signed up for the 55+ plan at Costco this morning. Costco is amazing. :dance:

2 lines T Mobile 55+ plan $60 per month auto pay taxes included
2 new Moto G5 plus phones on sale for $179 each (normally $219)
2 $25 rebates
No sim fee or activation fee (normally $50 per phone)

Now we just need to travel to the 140 countries where we have free data and texts. And, I am not sure what to do with all that unlimited data. But it is nice to have.

I hope you get good coverage in your own house/neighborhood. The 140 other countries don't help much when you leave the interstate and a couple miles off your T-mobile coverage is gone. Gulp.

I hope you get good coverage in your own house/neighborhood. The 140 other countries don't help much when you leave the interstate and a couple miles off your T-mobile coverage is gone. Gulp.

Great coverage at the house. But, I am heading to a rural area this weekend. That will be the real test. It is a prepaid monthly plan so we can move if the coverage is lacking. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am hoping the US coverage is sufficient because I really want the international.

We have terrible coverage at the house, from all providers. But T-Mobile has great WiFi calling support, so calls inside the house work super well.

Once outside we can pick up cell reception. Not strong, but it works, and is at least as good as Verizon or AT&T.

We have terrible coverage at the house, from all providers. But T-Mobile has great WiFi calling support, so calls inside the house work super well.

Once outside we can pick up cell reception. Not strong, but it works, and is at least as good as Verizon or AT&T.

I turned the cell reception off and tried wifi calling. It worked flawlessly. This is a cool feature! So far so good. :)

I turned the cell reception off and tried wifi calling. It worked flawlessly. This is a cool feature! So far so good. :)

My phone prioritizes WiFi calling so I don’t have to turn of cell connection to use it. WiFi pops up next to the signal indicator to tell me that’s being used.

It performs amazingly in Europe. And Wifi calling free to/from US is free. Excellent audio quality too - and far less latency than going over the cell towers.

Back
Top Bottom