Join Early Retirement Today

Tell me where to stay mid-Oct to mid-Nov?
Old 07-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tell me where to stay mid-Oct to mid-Nov?

I need to go somewhere in USA for a month or a little more, preferably warm or warm-ish. Can anyone recommend a specific place? Not just a general area, but a specific place (hotel, house, condo, whatever) that you liked?

Priority: Warm(ish), Food, Relaxing.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Gulf Coast from Panama City west to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Best beaches anywhere.

The owners of all the condos stay away in Summer--renting their places. Many come back in October-November, but the area is somewhat quiet in comparison with high season.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The Gulf Coast from Panama City west to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Best beaches anywhere.
I am familiar with the area. Can you recommend a specific location/rental/condo/house?
Old 07-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agreed, fall is a great time to visit anywhere on the Gulf Coast. Off season, kids are back in school and still warm enough to swim.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well if you had of ask this last week I would have been able to hook you up with a cousin of mine. But he informed us that he closed a deal selling his condo last week because his DW is going into a Pallitive care home. They have had the condo for about 12 years because she really loved the ocean and they live in the N Ga. mountains. He said when she is gone he would not be going back down there at all. There are many great condos, on the coast there. My recommendation would be in the Mexico Beach area for a more relaxed atmosphere vs closer to Panama City or Destin. Good luck on your search and sorry I couldn't help.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Another vote for OCT/NOV on the Gulf Coast. Consider AL/MS area, so you can be close to New Orleans when you need something a bit more lively.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I recommend Litchfield by the Sea, Pawleys Island SC. The weather should be nice that time of year and not too crowded. Lots of good restaurants and golf courses, great parks nearby. The beach is wide and beautiful. This past winter we stayed at one of the Oyster Catcher houses right off the beach and it was very nice. We rented through Litchfield Golf and Country Club rental agency.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

It really depends what you're looking for. Personally, we are big fans of the Orlando/Disney area. We rent regularly in a development in Kissimmee called Windsor Palms. They have 2 and 3 bedroom condos, 3 bedroom townhouses (we have one booked for October ourselves), and 3-6 bedroom pool homes. Nice clubhouse. Close to all of the local activities. Smack in the middle of the state so an easy drive to either coast for day trips or short side trips. You can rent through www.vrbo.com or the owners' direct website at https://www.windsor-palms-florida.net/.

I spent last month living in my late cousin's house in Boynton Beach, FL. I'm actually here right now finishing up and getting ready to put the house on the market (sadly). Short drive to Delray, Boca, Deerfield. Not long to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Only a couple of hours from the Keys. I know a great lunch spot in Islamorada, about 2 hours from here. And if you want to visit Disney, it's about 3 hours there so not bad for a getaway.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It depends on what you’re looking for. We’d head for Hilton Head Ocean Oak Hilton Hotel (more to do) or The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island (more relaxing). Or The Mills House Charleston SC if you like more to do/food options.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #10

As for the western side of the country, we had a great time exploring the Phoenix area. We stayed at a hotel in Glendale - The Renaissance Phoenix. It is right next to the Westside Entertainment District, home to many restaurants, shops, bars, AMC theater, Dave & Buster's, etc. all a short walk away. We used that as our home base and ventured out in all directions. We also did a side trip to the Grand Canyon and visited Sedona on our way back to Glendale.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
If budget is not a priority, I recommend the Ritz Carlton, Dove Mountain, just outside of Tucson.

Beautiful hiking and property, but nothing else around it. Still, if you want to relax and enjoy a lovely warm location with pools, spa, and scenery, it's a go to.

Or something around Lake Tahoe?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #12

A condo in Kihei, Maui would be my first choice. Second choice would be downtown San Diego or Coronado. Third would be Phoenix.

October/November is still hurricane season in the southeast.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
gone traveling

Keep in mind peak season for hurricanes are August , September and even parts of October.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

I'm not sure if the OP is looking for a more active vacation or just a nice place to kick back, but if the former, October to early November is my favorite season for visiting the various parks in Utah. Cool enough that hiking/biking is pleasant even in mid-day, but not yet cold enough that camping is uncomfortable.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If budget is not a priority, I recommend the Ritz Carlton, Dove Mountain, just outside of Tucson.
Yep, for a 1 month stay one would need a very healthy budget at about $500/night. Agree it is an excellent resort, great choice of golf courses also.

October and November is my favorite time to visit the Phoenix/Scottsdale and Palm Springs area. Can't recommend specific condos, usually stay at Marriott and Westin resorts at both locations. Would probably look into airbnb for an extended 1 month stay.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #16

Kai Lani (Fairmont), Wailea, Maui.

Sit in the bar/lounge off the entry before you go down steps towards the ocean, letting the trade winds waft over you as you sip a cocktail and watch the sunset over the ocean before you go down for dinner at Nick’s Fishmarket.

Ocean view suites about $750/night in October.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I need to go somewhere in USA for a month or a little more, preferably warm or warm-ish. Can anyone recommend a specific place? Not just a general area, but a specific place (hotel, house, condo, whatever) that you liked?

Bold by me.

This is not a reasonable request. People have given you some really good ideas of areas (FL panhandle is great that time of year), but how can any one make a real recommendation for a specific place (hotel, house, condo, whatever) without a budget? Do expect us to search on VRBO and AirBnB for you?

Pick some areas, do some research, and let us know what you selected.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Bold by me.

This is not a reasonable request. People have given you some really good ideas of areas (FL panhandle is great that time of year), but how can any one make a real recommendation for a specific place (hotel, house, condo, whatever) without a budget? Do expect us to search on VRBO and AirBnB for you?

Pick some areas, do some research, and let us know what you selected.
Yes, especially a budget. I suggested Litchfield Beach in SC which will be relatively inexpensive that time of year (maybe $3000 for the month) but others have suggested places that cost $500 per night.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Bold by me.

This is not a reasonable request.
This is exactly my request. No, I dont expect people to search Airbnb or Vrbo for me. I'm asking for specific places that people have been and really enjoyed. I know Maui is nice. I know Florida is nice. But I find myself going down a rabbit hole with Airbnb site etc.

I have had people tell me they went to Maui or FLorida and stayed at a particular resort. Some have even provided the unit number they stayed in.

There have been some great responses here. I did not mention a budget, but $500/night is too much for this length of stay. Was generally thinking $3k-$4k for a month. Ish.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I'm not sure if the OP is looking for a more active vacation or just a nice place to kick back, but if the former, October to early November is my favorite season for visiting the various parks in Utah. Cool enough that hiking/biking is pleasant even in mid-day, but not yet cold enough that camping is uncomfortable.
Mainly kicking back is the answer. And it starts by not spending the next 4 weeks searching through various websites and stressing out about it. Thats why Im looking for specific places. Utah is amazing.

Edit: A mountain, lake, or beach view would be great - in case that is the only thing I want to do for an entire day (it will be).