Join Early Retirement Today

Tennis US Open - Suggestions please.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tennis US Open - Suggestions please.

My wife and I would like to attend the 2010 Tennis US Open. While we have been to NY twice, we have absolutely no idea about attending the US Open.

We have looked at couple of packages (accomodation + tickets) and would like to learn more before we make the decision.

Please share your tips and tricks and experiences.

Thanks,

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to the US Open twice - you can buy tickets on-line or from ticket sellers. I personally like to go to the early days of the tournament as you get to see more tennis and tennis players. Plus the costs are much more amenable - you get the same feel of being there, but at a better price. When I was at the US Open I met a man who would take vacation every year and buy tickets for the first week. He really enjoyed it.

You can take public transportation into the tennis area, so worrying about your own transportation is not an issue. That way you can get yourself the type of hotel you might like better or afford better - plus you could see other areas of New York. The tournament itself is actually held on Long Island (as I remember) - so you could even stay out there and not in Manhattan (possible price break on a hotel).

The food at the tournament as well as T-shirts, etc, is like being at a concert - expensive and yet unique to that particular year of the tournament in the case of the souvenirs. One thing about going in the first days is you get to see tennis play on the outer courts and it is a much more intimate experience - it also shows you how good these guys really are - I remember watching Michael Chang at the French Open and he was only about 50 feet from me - amazing how he scampered around and hit the ball. The perspective is nothing like that which the TV can give.

I've also been to Wimbledon and the French Open - the opening day of each. At Wimbledon I queued up and was able to get in the grounds. At the French Open, I bought tickets from a couple selling theirs for the grand stadium at a 10Euro premium above what they paid. At Wimbledon I had strawberries and cream (traditional) and at the French Open Crepes Suzette and some awesome mushrooms - the crepes being the tradition in France. At the US Open it would be more US type food - hot dogs, hamburgers - steaks...etc.

My husband and I love watching the tennis tournaments and for me, I still need to see the Australian Open to meet my goal of seeing all the Grand Slams in person - just one more to go!
U.S Open
Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

U.S Open

If I remember correctly, the Sunday before it starts on Monday is a "practice" day and it's free.
Abby1313 is offline   Reply With Quote