The Trip Of My Dreams

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Begins tomorrow morning!!!!

Our blog: Driving to the Arctic

Not everyones dream to drive to the arctic & kayak there but it is mine and I am happy to share it with you.

Best of all, my brother asked:" How did you get your wife to go with you on the trip of your dreams?"

Little did he know I married "Adventure Girl"(R)!

Lucky me, I think I am going to feel retired pretty soon.

Very interesting! I've always wanted to drive the ALCAN, be sure to post lots of pics!

It will be a great adventure!

When in Dawson City, consider a visit to Drudge #4, a few miles out of town. Parks Canada Historic Sites. When I was there in 1998 for the centenary of the Klondike it was the most interesting site I visited.

I do miss Alaska, never did kayak way up north. But probably one of the handful to ever skinny dip in the Bearing sea.

Happy trails and good times to you.

Edit Add: Critters have habit of chewing on brake lines at night. Might want a spare set.

Last edited:
Good luck on your trip Yakers! For some reason I thought you were from Pasadena, CA and not Washington? Anyways, please post a lot of pics!

Good luck on your trip Yakers! For some reason I thought you were from Pasadena, CA and not Washington? Anyways, please post a lot of pics!
We are from Pasadena. Wife was born in Washington but we live here now for many years.

Yakers, actually heading for the door now !!! (DW says; get off the computer and lets go!!!)

Bye

Bring lots of bug repellent. The Alaska state bird is the arctic mosquito :D:D:D. Otherwise enjoy the trip and reveal in the natural beauty.

Sounds like a great time. I will be tracking your progress at your blog.

It is a good idea to go see it while it still frozen (not melted yet). In a few years we can all swim in the arctic down in Florida at Miami Beach. ;)

Go Yakers!

Let me know if you want to swing by us and get together.

We had a tour of interior Alaska and the Yukon in 2002, for our 10th anniversary (the honeymoon we couldn't afford to have at the time), right after a three day cruise from Vancouver through the Inside Passage to Skagway. Loved it.

Still, the more expensive and the more of a hassle travel gets, the more I notice my wanderlust declining over the years. That's especially true if it involves air travel. Flying today just plain sucks.

excellent! we want pictures! sounds like a cool adventure (minus the thousands of miles of driving)...

I just returned from driving from Whitehorse to Inuvik. It's a great trip but be prepared.

• I think the bugs will be out soon, lots of DEET, not many 2 weeks ago
  • Carry at least 2 spare tires. The Dempster eats them and it's 370 Km from beginning of the Dempster to the 1st place that sells gas and fixes tires.
  • Lots of film or camera memory; many,many Kodak moments
A picture of the road south of Inuvik and the Arctic circle.
Enjoy, I loved it

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 6
About the Alaka State Bird: My hat from waaaay back when...........

IMAGE04.JPG

First try at posting a pic.

Yakers, thanks for setting up a blog. I want to do the same someday soon.

• Carry at least 2 spare tires. The Dempster eats them and it's 370 Km from beginning of the Dempster to the 1st place that sells gas and fixes tires.

Why so many flats?

Drove UP the ALCAN Highway in 1970 in VW Bus with DW and 3 kids (August). Drove BACK in 1974 with DW, 3 Kids, 2 BIL and 1 Dog. Going up was from Indiana and back was to Florida. Also (from about 73 and 74) drove the (then new) highway to Fairbanks from Anchorage several times in all weather including January. Now the ALCAN is pretty much PAVED and a lot better than the early 70's, but I understand it can be a challange. Still probably the most scenic areas we have in the USA (but there is still room to drill too).

Why so many flats?

Roads up north are good bit of shale, other sharp rocks. Surface is bulldozer graded, with ruts and other obstacles. Very hard on tires, especially on the side walls, where tires are thin.

Road does a good job of re-aligning the wheels, superb workout for the shock absorbers.

Edit add: some villages still have plank roads, to try and keep from sinking into mud. You have not lived until driven on wood plank road about 2' wide each for each wheel with a foot or two of drop between plank spacing, in ice, rain and heavy fog hovering 3 feet off the ground.

Last edited:
Made It!

For any who are interested in our blog: Driving to the Arctic

The trip is even better than I dreamed of. Now all we have to do is get back home.

Attachments

• Inuvik.jpg
    Inuvik.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 8
  • AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 6
Congrats! Hope you have an interesting itinerary for the trip back or it will feel twice as long as the ride up!

Way cool! How are the bugs?

Not a problem overall. We had to get the canoe off shore a bit to get clear. In Inuvik there is enough of a breeze to keep them at bay but one campground was so bad I can see why thee caribou can actually go nuts. There, if I had a bare arm it would have looked like one pulsing mass of insects. And there are seasons without mosquitos, like winter, which may not be a good travel solution.

Back
Top Bottom