Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

JPatrick,

We decided on Cape San Blas because we needed a stop between The Villages and Arkansas (too many miles for one day) and it was recommended by two acquaintances who have gone scallop gathering in Port St. Joe, as well as a poster on a retired teacher forum i visit once a in awhile. That person fishes in Port Saint Joe and talked highly of the Cape.

The Cape is quite narrow. I HIGHLY recommend the Cape San Blas Inn bed and breakfast. You can find reviews on it on Trip Advisor. It runs about $180/night. We used a Living Social Escapes deal which cut that cost in half. Another couple staying there told us that the deal comes around fairly frequently and that you can combine them (stay 4 nights instead of 2 using two deals). The place is rated #1 for the Cape on Trip Advisor and we had no complaints...well, except there are a couple missing boards on the dock. They provide 2 canoes, a 2-person kayak and bicycles. The innkeeper is super nice and will make certain you are happy. Rooms have a micro-fridge. The breakfast was too delicious for Earthlings.

Across the street from the Inn is a little store that closes at 8PM. They make sandwiches and have Hunts Brothers pizza. There are no restaurants on the Cape. Right off the Cape is Indian Pass Raw Oyster Bar. It serves oysters (except the day we were there, a sign was up that read "No Oysters. We are not kidding", shrimp, gumbo (excellent!!) and hamburgers. Draft beer and bottled beer are there and all on honor system. When you check out, you tell them how many you had. We drove into Port Saint Joe (12 miles) and had dinner at Joe Mama Pizza---very nice place.

The ocean side beach is a three minute walk from front door of Inn. Not many folks, great shelling and waves. The Saint Joseph Park is at the end of the Cape. Cost us $4 to drive in. It is beautiful, but the ocean side beach there is about the same as you will find across from Inn.

The Cape is quiet. We never had to wait on vehicles before crossing street to ocean side.

I hope you visit. Please let me know if you wanted different info.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
JPatrick,

We decided on Cape San Blas because we needed a stop between The Villages and Arkansas (too many miles for one day) and it was recommended by two acquaintances who have gone scallop gathering in Port St. Joe, as well as a poster on a retired teacher forum i visit once a in awhile. That person fishes in Port Saint Joe and talked highly of the Cape.

The Cape is quite narrow. I HIGHLY recommend the Cape San Blas Inn bed and breakfast. You can find reviews on it on Trip Advisor. It runs about $180/night. We used a Living Social Escapes deal which cut that cost in half. Another couple staying there told us that the deal comes around fairly frequently and that you can combine them (stay 4 nights instead of 2 using two deals). The place is rated #1 for the Cape on Trip Advisor and we had no complaints...well, except there are a couple missing boards on the dock. They provide 2 canoes, a 2-person kayak and bicycles. The innkeeper is super nice and will make certain you are happy. Rooms have a micro-fridge. The breakfast was too delicious for Earthlings.

Across the street from the Inn is a little store that closes at 8PM. They make sandwiches and have Hunts Brothers pizza. There are no restaurants on the Cape. Right off the Cape is Indian Pass Raw Oyster Bar. It serves oysters (except the day we were there, a sign was up that read "No Oysters. We are not kidding", shrimp, gumbo (excellent!!) and hamburgers. Draft beer and bottled beer are there and all on honor system. When you check out, you tell them how many you had. We drove into Port Saint Joe (12 miles) and had dinner at Joe Mama Pizza---very nice place.

The ocean side beach is a three minute walk from front door of Inn. Not many folks, great shelling and waves. The Saint Joseph Park is at the end of the Cape. Cost us $4 to drive in. It is beautiful, but the ocean side beach there is about the same as you will find across from Inn.

The Cape is quiet. We never had to wait on vehicles before crossing street to ocean side.

I hope you visit. Please let me know if you wanted different info.
Very helpful, thanks for taking the time.
This place is on our list for next year.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

ohyes,......great report.

Can you or anyone else provide some insight as to property taxes, home insurance, and association fees?

Thank you
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank goodness we're all different otherwise this would be quite a boring world!

We haven't done our Villages visit yet but I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like they know how to have fun, and and if the folks love to line dance more power to them! They're out with friends, having fun and getting far more exercise than I get today as a working stiff. At 85 I hope I can still dance, regardless of what form it takes.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were given a sheet of paper with supposed cost breakdown. We have misplaced that (in process of cleaning out this junky place). I think i found same info online:

http://www.thevillages.com/images/CostofLiving.pdf
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote