Things that I did not know about cruises

Not only that but I don't think I would like the smaller ones. I love a big variety of nightlife. I also don't want to feel like I am in school with experts on the area droning on about it and I want to choose my own excursions. I know some people love them.

- For us with ships.....'small' rules!

- Nightlife - doesn't interest us.

- Lectures - on a westbound TA aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam there was a historian giving oversights into the backgrounds of each port we visited, and on our recent RC TA a lady professor gave talks on plants/herbs and marine life.....we attended every session of both of them.

- Excursions - maybe when we're older. ;)

As with everything - À chacun son goût

It's funny because at home I am in bed early and there is no nightlife for me. But on a cruise we love all the nightlife. I wouldn't even go if I didn't do an excursion in each port. Also on a cruise we can sleep in or take a nap which are things I don't do at home mostly due to the dogs.

It's funny because at home I am in bed early and there is no nightlife for me. But on a cruise we love all the nightlife. I wouldn't even go if I didn't do an excursion in each port. Also on a cruise we can sleep in or take a nap which are things I don't do at home mostly due to the dogs.

Things would be dull if we were all the same. ;)

Some friends of ours want to do a cruise with us. My suggestion was that everyone do their own thing during the day and we hang out together for dinner and later. Often my DH and I don't want to take the same excursions so take different ones. Things would be too crowded if we all liked the same stuff:))

Some friends of ours want to do a cruise with us. My suggestion was that everyone do their own thing during the day and we hang out together for dinner and later. Often my DH and I don't want to take the same excursions so take different ones. Things would be too crowded if we all liked the same stuff:))

Couple years back we, (deliberately), met up with a couple we'd first encountered in Civitavecchia prior to a cruise......all four of us agreed that a strong point was that we/they could (but not necessarily) take off in different pursuits without recriminations.

When we did hang out together it was because we all wanted to, not out of self inflicted guilt.

Nemo, that's the only way I will travel with others. A few people have commented that it is odd when we take different excursions but he likes to scuba dive and I don't so no way am I just going to tag along on the boat. Also sometimes he does more active tours like ziplining and I have a bad neck/back so can't do that. I prefer the island tours. WE did do the pyramid tours together because we both wanted to do that.

We have only done 2 cruises, but this was the way we handled it, as well. With 4 couples on one, and 8 couples on the other, trying to do everything together would have been a nightmare. As it played out, several times we were with some friends, but only because we wanted to do the same thing.

At night we would meet for happy hour, and had several dinners planned together. But the evening activities were also " do what you want".

Worked well, and no hard feelings.

I took an Alaska small ship cruise early last summer, the same one braumeister took a couple of years earlier. I had an absolutely wonderful time. For me, it was worth every penny.

I took this photo when we disembarked in Juneau. The small ship I was on is in the lower left of the photo, the 62-passenger NG Sea Lion. Compare it to the Silversea looming over it, which was one of the "smaller" of the cruise ships berthed in Juneau that day. :LOL:

It's too bad we weren't berthed next to one of the 3000-plus passenger ships stopping off in Juneau, the difference would have been even more striking.

Attachments

• 18880059_10210983581478309_3666163829950963928_o.jpg
    18880059_10210983581478309_3666163829950963928_o.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I took an Alaska small ship cruise early last summer, the same one braumeister took a couple of years earlier. I had an absolutely wonderful time. For me, it was worth every penny.

I took this photo when we disembarked in Juneau. The ship I was on is in the lower left of the photo, the 62-passenger NG Sea Lion. Compare it to the ship next to it, which was one of the "smaller" cruise ships berthed in Juneau that day. :LOL:

Sea Lion looks like a beaut!

This is the only cruise for me. Ms G and I in Baja California in December. We have sailed with UnCruise to Alaska, Hawaii, Galapagos, Costa Rica/Panama, and Sea of Cortez twice.

Sea of Cortez.jpg

On a cruise on a Celebrity ship, there was no nightlife. That may be because we went to bed early ourselves, and did not participate. But one night, I decided to take a tour by myself to the dancing lounge at the highest spot on the ship. It was deserted and the bored DJ was entertaining two couples, one of which was dancing.

During the day, there were live musician groups playing at different spots throughout the ship. A passenger at a lunch table angrily told us that she could not find a quiet spot on the ship.

We were among the younger people there. :p

I took this photo when we disembarked in Juneau. The small ship I was on is in the lower left of the photo, the 62-passenger NG Sea Lion...

That looks like a private boat. :)

So glad you enjoyed it. I've met several people who have taken the same Lindblad cruise on that ship or its sister ship and they have all raved about it.

Getting back to the original posting. Viking River cruises are very expensive, and so are their new ocean cruiseships. For the one week cruise on Viking, I could make 3 trips to Europe including flights.

We are into more trips instead of extra luxurious trips.

Absolutely true.
The are selling to a different market.

I am in the midst of planning excursions from a Carnival ship as I could take their excursion for example at $125 pp (Pompeii & Vesuvius) and be rushed on their timetable, or do it on my own via public transport and see more (Pompeii & Vesuvius & Herculaneum), at $50 pp.

So I have learned, one aspect is it takes a LOT of planning, reading, when figuring out routes, etc. Nearly like a full time job :facepalm:

I took this photo when we disembarked in Juneau. The small ship I was on is in the lower left of the photo, the 62-passenger NG Sea Lion. Compare it to the Silversea looming over it, which was one of the "smaller" of the cruise ships berthed in Juneau that day. :LOL:

It's too bad we weren't berthed next to one of the 3000-plus passenger ships stopping off in Juneau, the difference would have been even more striking.

Those small ships can go into tight areas the big cruise ships can't. Very Nice!

Last edited:
We also like small ships, or even small boats. When we go to Greece in Sept., I found an 8-person max capacity sailboat with 2 of the people being captain and first mate. Can’t wait. Talk about being able to get into ports the other boats can’t! :dance:

I am in the midst of planning excursions from a Carnival ship as I could take their excursion for example at $125 pp (Pompeii & Vesuvius) and be rushed on their timetable, or do it on my own via public transport and see more (Pompeii & Vesuvius & Herculaneum), at $50 pp.

So I have learned, one aspect is it takes a LOT of planning, reading, when figuring out routes, etc. Nearly like a full time job :facepalm:
However, you also need to make sure you get back to the ship before it leaves. If you have not looked on Cruise Critic yet, I suggest doing so. You can find the "Roll Call" thread for your cruise to talk to people who will be on the cruise and try to organize private tours with them. I remember when we did a Mediterranean cruise several years ago, we went to Athens with someone who had been there before and knew how to take the train to the city. That person found a private guide to show us around the Acropolis, While we were there, we ran into our table-mates who had taken a ship tour and did not like it. They bailed on the tour and we all went to lunch at a great restaurant and took the train back together.

We also did a private tour to Pompei, but I'm thinking we booked an organized tour to take us there. So it was much less expensive than the cruise line, but still had a timetable, which you seem to want to avoid.

Absolutely true.
The are selling to a different market.

It doesn't take much planning to walk off the ship in Naples and catch a cab (sitting there) to the train station. Get on the train going to Sorrento and get off at the Pompeii stop. You can read about a self guided excursion online.

Your advice, please.....

My friend and I are considering a cruise this winter and neither of us has ever been on one.

We'd like to spend a week in Rio de Janeiro then take a cruise to Buenos Aires and spend several days or a week there. Neither of us are much for night life / sports activities on board or nature / National Geographic style. But scholarly lectures on culture, art, history, etc would be lovely.

How would I find a cruise like this? Quiet ship preferred. Upper end pricing OK.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Any consideration on using a travel agent to do the grunt work?

However, I just ran a quick query on one of the website of a travel company we use for cruises, entering in South America cruise with departure port Rio de Janeiro and pulled up the following cruises that kind of fit your parameters (ie this winter and ending in Buenos Aires:

Oceana 12night departing Feb 11, 2019 starting at
Regent Seven Seas 12 night departing Jan 20, 2019
Crystal 10night departing Jan 24, 2018

Note: It's a Canadian website with Canadian dollar pricing.

VacationsToGo.com is the site I use for finding cruises in U.S. dollars. It pulls up the same three that YVRRocketSurgery gave. There are other options if you are not set on Buenos Aires and would be willing to disembark near Lima or Santiago.

For quieter cruises, just look for things that are not appealing to families with younger children. Anything that takes place during the traditional school year, is longer than 7 days, or starts and ends in different ports is likely to be pretty peaceful. The South American route you're looking for pretty much assures a quiet trip. I've never cruised on Oceana, Regent or Crystal, but all three of those lines market themselves as luxury lines, which is another clue that they're not party ships.

However, I just ran a quick query on one of the website of a travel company we use for cruises, entering in South America cruise with departure port Rio de Janeiro and pulled up the following cruises that kind of fit your parameters (ie this winter and ending in Buenos Aires:

My vote is either of the top 2. I have been on both ships and enjoyed them both.
Stay a couple of days in Buenos Aires and go to a Tango show. We went to La Ventana and were not disappointed.

My vote is either of the top 2. I have been on both ships and enjoyed them both.
Stay a couple of days in Buenos Aires and go to a Tango show. We went to La Ventana and were not disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom