Timeshares - Good or Bad?

I have used VRBO twice. One time a cat entered the unit with the cleaners before we arrived and sprayed. We had to put up with the stink (in HI) the entire week. Keep in mind that the owner doesn't have alternate facilities to offer if something happens.

My brother and his GF booked a place through VRBO in the Virgin Islands. The owner visited them a couple months before the trip and liked his GF condo so well she proposed an exchange instead of a rental. They are in VI the next two weeks and the unit owner is in PDX!

I was listening to Clark Howard or some other radio finance show recently and a guy called in to say what a great deal he got on a time share. As I recall, he was a full-time resident of the area (not sure where it was) and he once bought a timeshare for $1000 cash. This gave him access to house at the beach nearby and if he had guests that he did not want staying with him at home, he could put them up at the condo for a low price.

This may have been the only time that I have ever heard of a TS being a "good deal."

Check out the current issue of Smartmoney, article on "Vacation Homes for a Buck" !
There are a lot of existing time share owners who will "sell" you their interest for a Buck" to get out from under the maintenance fees. Article makes the point to do your due diligence on transfer fees and outstanding maintanence fees.
We have a timeshare at Whistler where the maintenance fees have got from about $300/yr to nearly $700. Lots of options for other places at $100/night. DD and her finance' are big skiers so we are "gifting" it to them as it next to the lifts and they think it is great.
Nwsteve

Back
Top Bottom