Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Having spent a couple of wonderful years in NYC in the late 1970's, I have to have my NY fix every couple of years..

I lived in northern New Jersey for 28 years so I also need a fix especially a pizza fix . The pizza in Florida is not real pizza . It's Domino's or Papa John's . A new place will open and they'll advertise New York pizza . Well they must lose the recipes on the drive down because it is not New York or New Jersey pizza . It is generic dough with sauce and topping . No grease , No great crust , No sun dried tomatoes , No white pizza , No pizza that makes you droll , No cheese that is falling off the slice ! You could turn Florida pizza upside down and not lose anything . I'm going to introduce my redneck SO to this culinary wonder . He'll be ruined forever .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

"I'm leaving for New York City on Friday for a family wedding and vacation . What am I planning on doing ? Museums ? Broadway Shows ? Ground Zero? Times Square ? Yes but I'm also looking for greasy pizza , great bagels and pastrami on real rye bread "

NY's got museums out the wazoo. I would go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which you'll barely scratch the surface. The best show right now is Spring Awakening, although Avenue Q is hilarious. Pizza is something of a point of discussion. In my opinion, the hands down best pizza in NYC is Di Fara in Midwood Brooklyn (Q train to Avenue J on the way to Coney Island). But if you're going that far, you should get back on the train and go to Coney Island and eat at Totonno's, and then back it up with a hot dog from Nathan's on the boardwalk, then throw it back up after riding the Cyclone. I would also get a Recession Special from Gray's Papaya - two of the best hot dogs you'll ever have with a Papaya drink.

Ground Zero is really just a hole in the ground - literally. One the best ways to see NY is to take the Circle Line Tour around Manhattan by boat.

Times Square is just times Square, and frankly has nothing to see unless you want to go to the Disney Store, the M&M store, or eat at Friday's or the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. Likewise, don't bother eating in "Little Italy", which is really a two bock stretch in the middle of Chinatown.

I would go for Katz's deli for the Pastrami, and since its not kosher you can get it with Swiss cheese. But back to pizza, if you're looking to stay in Manhattan, I would choose either La Pizza Napoletana or Frannie's. Be warned, however, that at the best pizza places you'll be waiting a while (like up to two hours).
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Pizza, you want Pizza in New Yawk" (which is the way my sister would say it). In my humble opinion, the best pizza used to be the "original" Ray's Pizza on 6th Ave and 11th Street, which was owned by a former second chief of Nelson Rockerfeller in the early 1970's; the pizza was fabulous at the Ray's on 6th and 11th and the description in wikipedia does not do justice to the slice you'd get from Ray's. Ray's Pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Unfortunately, this joint still exists but under different owners.

My suggestion for good pizza:Lucali in Carroll Garden's Brooklyn; it's owned by a local guy from the Nab; he takes cash only, doesn't have a liquor license so you have to bring your own wine, and he specializes in great thin crust pizza. (Take the F Train to Carroll Street and then you'll have to walk a few blocks.) Also, you want an authentic Brooklyn experience, right? You'll be a few blocks away from the original Cammareri Brothers Bakery, the location and story behind the movie Moonstruck, but you'll have to go up a few blocks to the get the great bread and Italian pasteries at F. Monteleone & Cammareri Brothers Bakery & Cafe

Now, if you want the best hamburger joint in the City, stay away from Brooklyn, and go to the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tip for valet in nyc

You don't have to tip if you don't want to. I would give him no more than $10.
DFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ended up giving him $7
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone who says you don't have to tip someone making minimum wage in the most expensive city in North America should stay home in Arkansas. Or park their own car. It is important to understand the economics of the service industry. Especially if you're a repeat customer. Having working in food service, I can assure you that everyone who waits on you knows if you're a good, average, or cheap tipper. Frankly, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to partake in personal services.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #27

My Mom who worked as a waitress in Florida for many years used to say Whats the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

The canoe tips
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I lived in northern New Jersey for 28 years so I also need a fix especially a pizza fix . The pizza in Florida is not real pizza . It's Domino's or Papa John's . A new place will open and they'll advertise New York pizza . Well they must lose the recipes on the drive down because it is not New York or New Jersey pizza . It is generic dough with sauce and topping . No grease , No great crust , No sun dried tomatoes , No white pizza , No pizza that makes you droll , No cheese that is falling off the slice ! You could turn Florida pizza upside down and not lose anything . I'm going to introduce my redneck SO to this culinary wonder . He'll be ruined forever .

This reminded me of the pizza I just had in Texas. Another reason on why not to move to Texas Wahoo
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I've lived in several areas of the country, and in the majority of them not only is it not possible to get genuine Neopolitan (aka - really good NYC) pizza, the people there woudn't eat it if they could. I've seen a handful of places fail because the pizza wasn't like pizza hut, or it was "too greasy" (duh - its called olive oil), or the crust wasn't thick enough. Ironically, most pizza in NYC isn't very good either. You're limited to a relatively small number of real artisanal pizzerias and lot of mediocre local places (as often as not, like Mexican takeout places, run by Chinese people).
Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

So when they ask, "what will you do in retirement" you can always tell the truth, "I'm looking for the best pizza joint and a backup joint." Illustrate that.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Lucali Pizza
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #31

Lucali Pizza

Still the best pizza around in my view, even if the server might be a bit odd: Mob suspect Dominick (Black Dom) Dionisio's pizza 'job' at Brooklyn Lucali's is a sham, feds say
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #32

For cities like San Francisco and Manhattan we drive to long term parking at the airport and take the train into town. Saves much money.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote