Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't be taking the snow tires off. Your return in March through snow country may require them still. In PA, it has snowed in April before.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I wouldn't be taking the snow tires off. Your return in March through snow country may require them still. In PA, it has snowed in April before.
I weighed the pros and cons and decided not to put that many summer miles on the winter tires as they're softer rubber and will wear very quickly. The all-seasons are only a year old and I'll just be more cautious until I reach warmer and dryer pavement.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #43
gone traveling

Many folks I know who live up North can do fine with all season tires. Only guys I know with winter tires are from MA and northward bound. You are right on winter tires when it's not winter. Takes a beating. I remember the old days when people used to drive with chains on their tires during snow season. If you have a blowout with a winter tire in Florida you may have a problem trying to get it replaced.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I read somewhere that today's all-season tires outperform winter tires from years past. Of course, today's winter tires are tremendous.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
I remember the old days when people used to drive with chains on their tires during snow season.
OMG..were they the old days? Now I feel really ancient.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My sister in law is the one with the smarts for finding the places to stay. I’ll ask her and report back. One thing I know for sure is she is arranging their stay for next January now.

Thanks!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #47

Quote:
May not be beachfront but did you want to consider short term housing hotels. The business travelers or IT employees in long term assignments stay there. I am sure there are quite a few in South Florida. One national hotel chain is Extended Stay America.

I didn’t as I assumed these would be expensive but I’ll check it out, thanks.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
OMG..were they the old days? Now I feel really ancient.

Don’t feel ancient Nemo! Tire chains are still being used today.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I read somewhere that today's all-season tires outperform winter tires from years past. Of course, today's winter tires are tremendous.
I cut the difference and got the new "All Weather" tires. They're starting to get more popular here after originating in northern Europe. They have the snowflake symbol so I get the insurance discount.

They are great in the snow and about the same as All Seasons in the summer. Only difference I have noticed is in cornering speeed. Also warrantied to 80K/km.
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Don’t plan everything down to the last day. Keep in mind that for many, including us, spontaneous travel is one of the joys of extended travel.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #51

Take nice clear pics of your passport and licenses on your phones, back up to whatever service you use. That way if you have any losses of wallets along the way, you at least have your info to expedite replacements.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Don’t plan everything down to the last day. Keep in mind that for many, including us, spontaneous travel is one of the joys of extended travel.
There's no danger of that as we're not the type of people who feel the need to fill every day...this is really just an escape from winter. On nice days we'll mostly take it easy and on less pleasant days we'll look for something to do...if we feel like it
Old 01-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

T mobile has a good service including Canada and Mexico but don’t know if they are in Canada. I use Magic Jack which works great if you have good internet and has a free smartphone app so if there is WiFi or a Data connectionyou don’t need to even be near the device itself. Is even better when you start doing those extended vacations to Europe or other far flung locations.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The most stressed out tourists I have ever seen are when they vacation in Walt Disney World, Orlando. Some planning everything to the day, hour and even minutes. And heaven forbid if it rains which it does several times a day during the oppressive heat of the summer, I have seen kids and even their parents have a meltdown in public when their plans are forced to change.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #55

Agree with many of these posts. Leave some flexibility. Plan the big stuff like how you're getting there and where you're staying. Car rentals, etc.

The one thing I want to comment on mostly is just to make sure you're aware of your surroundings. Keep up with other travelers. We were in back of a couple probably in their early 70's and they were printing out bag tags. Took forever. Then they decided to navigate how to put them on their bags in front of the kiosk so backed everything up. Another man and I suggested they put them on waiting in the bag drop off line. As I went to use the kiosk the lady wanted to get back on and print their boarding passes. I tell her you could have done that when you printed your tags. I try and be patient with people but there are fifty people in line trying to move along. Sheesh!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
T mobile has a good service including Canada and Mexico but don’t know if they are in Canada. I use Magic Jack which works great if you have good internet and has a free smartphone app so if there is WiFi or a Data connectionyou don’t need to even be near the device itself. Is even better when you start doing those extended vacations to Europe or other far flung locations.
Another choice would be the free skype app.
I have used the skype app on my phone when in another country to call home over free wifi.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The most stressed out tourists I have ever seen are when they vacation in Walt Disney World, Orlando. Some planning everything to the day, hour and even minutes. And heaven forbid if it rains which it does several times a day during the oppressive heat of the summer, I have seen kids and even their parents have a meltdown in public when their plans are forced to change.
Your comment reminds me of this Youtube video. I found it hilarious:

I love his favorite ride!!!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We leave tomorrow.

Today I'll be swapping the winter tires for the all-seasons. I'm also picking up a dash cam...I've been meaning to get one for a while and found one on sale so I may as well get one for the trip.

Everything is packed...we are traveling light. Other than my passport, clothes and toiletries, I'm taking my acoustic guitar which I will declare at the border to prevent any issues coming back, and a pair of dumbbells so we can work out. We're staying in a furnished condo and will stock up on food and essentials when we get there.

All the hotels we booked on the way down have fridges and microwaves so we'll be packing lunches and be able to keep some groceries and drinks cool.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
We leave tomorrow.

Today I'll be swapping the winter tires for the all-seasons. I'm also picking up a dash cam...I've been meaning to get one for a while and found one on sale so I may as well get one for the trip.

Everything is packed...we are traveling light. Other than my passport, clothes and toiletries, I'm taking my acoustic guitar which I will declare at the border to prevent any issues coming back, and a pair of dumbbells so we can work out. We're staying in a furnished condo and will stock up on food and essentials when we get there.

All the hotels we booked on the way down have fridges and microwaves so we'll be packing lunches and be able to keep some groceries and drinks cool.
When I drive to FL, I pack HEAVY... why not since the car is going anyhow.

You might want to take bug spray for mosquitoes, if you do any trails in nature preservers or parks you will want it.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #60

We spend 8 weeks every winter in Mexico. We eat out frequently but cook in regularly and I have found it helpful to bring small amounts of the spices that I cook with, so that I don't have buy entire bottles of numerous spices. I also bring my favorite knives, spatula, and tongs, so that I can cook the way I'm used to.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum