Join Early Retirement Today

Tips for first time extended trip
Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tips for first time extended trip

For the first time in decades I'm taking a trip longer than a week or so and am looking for some tips from those who travel for longer periods of time. My girlfriend and I are driving from Canada to Florida next week. We're staying in a furnished condo for all of February and with a few stops on the way down and back we'll be gone close to 6 weeks. We're basically short term snow birding.

- I have a very reliable relative house sitting so I'm not worried about my house.
- Health insurance has been taken care of.
- I'll be putting the all-season tires back on my car so I'm not driving on winter tires in warm weather.
- We are bringing 2 different credit cards each.

Questions:
- We're taking our laptops and cell phones but up here the phone plans suck so we're looking for a temporary plan that will allow some international calls and international texting (only to Canada) at a reasonable price. The condo and hotels on the way there and back all have internet so that's covered.
- Is there anything that we're overlooking?
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

I don't have an answer to your post, but I'm jealous. I want to do the one month snowbird thing. I can't really justify/afford longer. I have a question for you? How did you find a place that would rent only the one month of February? I thought that was next to impossible? Where are you heading in Florida?

Let us (me ) know how it goes!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For the first time in decades I'm taking a trip longer than a week or so and am looking for some tips from those who travel for longer periods of time. My girlfriend and I are driving from Canada to Florida next week. We're staying in a furnished condo for all of February and with a few stops on the way down and back we'll be gone close to 6 weeks. We're basically short term snow birding.

- I have a very reliable relative house sitting so I'm not worried about my house.
- Health insurance has been taken care of.
- I'll be putting the all-season tires back on my car so I'm not driving on winter tires in warm weather.
- We are bringing 2 different credit cards each.

Questions:
- We're taking our laptops and cell phones but up here the phone plans suck so we're looking for a temporary plan that will allow some international calls and international texting (only to Canada) at a reasonable price. The condo and hotels on the way there and back all have internet so that's covered.
- Is there anything that we're overlooking?
Have a safe trip and enjoy Florida. I have been living in Central Florida since 1993 and recently early retired late last year. There are many snowbirds here during the winter months enjoying the beautiful weather.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I don't have an answer to your post, but I'm jealous. I want to do the one month snowbird thing. I can't really justify/afford longer. I have a question for you? How did you find a place that would rent only the one month of February? I thought that was next to impossible? Where are you heading in Florida?

Let us (me ) know how it goes!
+1.
Coincidentally I just spent an hour looking for places for next year in February. So any insight as to how you searched would be helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did you find a place that would rent only the one month of February? I thought that was next to impossible? Where are you heading in Florida?
Ocean front in Panama City Beach. We found it on homeaway.com
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

I need to follow this thread as I have same question doing the same thing. I an staying the entire Month of Feb and to March 3rd (30 days) in Destin on the panhandle. I could do a 30, 60 , or 90 day condo rental. On the beach with pool deck etc.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Ocean front in Panama City Beach. We found it on homeaway.com
You may experience the drunken college kids enjoying the Spring Break capital of the world Panama City Beach FL in late Feb. Thge kids take over the town for several weeks. Other than that it's a sleepy FL town with a lot of rednecks.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a question for you? How did you find a place that would rent only the one month of February? I thought that was next to impossible?
If not impossible, it's pretty hard to do the further south you go.

We're in Fort Lauderdale and most condos require a 3 month minimum rental and usually only one rental per year; houses are a bit more flexible. Most folks renew for the next year upon their leave in April.

From what I can see, most new January renters start their search in May/June and hope for the best.

The value of the Canadian dollar vs USD seems to have opened up some opportunities though as some of our regular Canadians seem to be staying shorter periods or not coming at all.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
You may experience the drunken college kids enjoying the Spring Break capital of the world Panama City Beach FL in late Feb. Thge kids take over the town for several weeks. Other than that it's a sleepy FL town with a lot of rednecks.
We're about 10 miles outside of the town so we'll probably be far enough away for most of that.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Bring your passports. Forward your mail? If you bring your checkbook, make sure that you have more than 1 check in it (speaking from experience)

Can’t help you on the cell/ internet plans.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
We're about 10 miles outside of the town so we'll probably be far enough away for most of that.
No guarantees you will escape the madness but just giving you a friendly warning. Enjoy.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #12

The only thing I can think of is to notify your CC companies that you will be out of the country. Just so they don't shut off the cards after you have a celebration dinner at the most exclusive joint in town
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bring your passports. Forward your mail? If you bring your checkbook, make sure that you have more than 1 check in it (speaking from experience)

Can’t help you on the cell/ internet plans.
Well, we won't get across the border without passports. Not going to forward mail as we're only gone for 6 weeks...most of it is electronic anyway and the utilities are on auto-pay. Neither one of us uses cheques except when there's no other choice. We're bringing 2 credit cards each, plus my GF has a US bank account.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As you start packing, you will find all kinds of things that you "might need." If you pack all of those you will probably have to buy an additional suitcase. Here is the cure:

As you consider each item and the low probability that it might be needed, say to yourself: "They have stores there." and put the item back where it came from.

When we road travel we put a small cooler in the back seat for breakfast OJ, croissants, etc. plus soft drinks and snacks for on the road, beer and snacks for in the hotel room. Most hotels these days have small fridges and coffeemaking setups, which for us eliminates the hassle of restaurant breakfasts or those horrible "free breakfasts" in the budget hotels.

Telephone -- maybe Google Project Fi since you will have a US address? Nexus 5X phones are pretty cheap on CraigsList.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bring half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you'll need.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #16

How will you pay your normal bills as they come due while you are away? One possibility is to pay them online. Another possibility is to pay them in advance.

What will happen to your mail? Will the post office hold it? Do you have a friend or neighbor who will take it in and hold it for you? You don't want it collecting in your mailbox at your home.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
As you start packing, you will find all kinds of things that you "might need." If you pack all of those you will probably have to buy an additional suitcase.
We're both light travelers. Other than clothes and toiletries, the only extra things I'm taking are my laptop, acoustic guitar, and a Bluetooth speaker. The laptop and speaker will fit in my suitcase, so I'm taking 1 suitcase and 1 guitar case.

Quote:
When we road travel we put a small cooler in the back seat for breakfast OJ, croissants, etc. plus soft drinks and snacks for on the road, beer and snacks for in the hotel room. Most hotels these days have small fridges and coffeemaking setups, which for us eliminates the hassle of restaurant breakfasts or those horrible "free breakfasts" in the budget hotels.
That's our plan. We've taken a few day trips and always pack lunch and drinks. The hotels we booked on the way down all have coffee makers and fridges as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
How will you pay your normal bills as they come due while you are away? One possibility is to pay them online. Another possibility is to pay them in advance.
All the utilities are on auto-pay and the things not on auto-pay (like credit cards) I can pay electronically with my laptop.

Quote:
What will happen to your mail? Will the post office hold it? Do you have a friend or neighbor who will take it in and hold it for you? You don't want it collecting in your mailbox at your home.
A trusted relative is house sitting...he'll take in the mail, shovel, etc.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #19

Panhandle weather in Feb can be quite a bit cooler and more windy than South Florida..bring a light jacket, long pants, shoes, just in case.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Panhandle weather in Feb can be quite a bit cooler and more windy than South Florida..bring a light jacket, long pants, shoes, just in case.

omni
They’re from Winnipeg. They’ll be out in their shorts even if it is only 50 degrees. . Okay, maybe not 50, but I remember going to Arizona and being the only one wearing shorts, most had a coat on, when it was high 60’s. It truly is all relative, but yes, if you want to see some high 70’s or more, you pretty much need to get south of Orlando.