Top 10 most scenic drives

Great thread. I’m taking notes. :)

I’ve driven a long stretch of the PCH. It is incredibly beautiful, but as the driver, it gets fatiguing after a while. On the other hand, I rode shotgun while my son drove the Amalfi coast. Definitely more enjoyable as a passenger!

The same son recently drove the Million Dollar Highway (Route 550 between Silverton and Ouray, CO). He called me and told me to put it on my bucket list.

The best thing to do is just pull off yourself, breath, look around. Just giving them a 5 minute head start and you'll probably never see them again.

Agreed! The whole point of a scenic drive is to slow down and enjoy the scenery. I like to drive slow and take in the views so if I notice traffic behind me I pull off and let everyone go by before proceeding. But if someone in front of me is driving too slow and there's no where to pass, I just pull off and relax a bit.

Too many people are always in a rush and stressed out.

Agreed! The whole point of a scenic drive is to slow down and enjoy the scenery. I like to drive slow and take in the views so if I notice traffic behind me I pull off and let everyone go by before proceeding. But if someone in front of me is driving too slow and there's no where to pass, I just pull off and relax a bit.

Too many people are always in a rush and stressed out.

I agree, but there are extremes. If someone habitually nearly comes to a halt at every scenic vista in the middle of the road I’d have a right to be annoyed. However, I would certainly take my time at the next overlook and let them get far down the road. OTOH, I have driven 5 or 10 mph over the limit on the BRP and had some asshat literally lay on the horn behind me.

I agree, but there are extremes. If someone habitually nearly comes to a halt at every scenic vista in the middle of the road I’d have a right to be annoyed. However, I would certainly take my time at the next overlook and let them get far down the road. OTOH, I have driven 5 or 10 mph over the limit on the BRP and had some asshat literally lay on the horn behind me.

Isn't that why God gave us the middle finger?

Some of my favorites that have not been specifically mentioned:

• Oregon McKenzie Pass-Santiam Pass Scenic Byway over the Cascades
  • Utah Bicentennial Highway from Blanding to Hanksville - goes by Natural Bridges NM and through Fry Canyon - on way to Capitol Reef NP
  • Utah Scenic Byway 12 from Capitol Reef NP to Escalante NP to Bryce Canyon NP
  • Colorado Peak to Peak Scenic Byway from Estes Park to Nederland, etc.
  • Road from Durango, CO to Chama, NM
  • New Mexico Jemez Mountain Trail from Los Alamos through Jemez Springs
  • New Mexico Geronimo Trail National Scenic Byway - goes through parts of the Gila National Forest in SW NM

And almost any scenic highway on the Colorado Plateau - rocks, rocks, and more rocks!

Last edited:
We did this is the late 90s. Spectacular view. Our funny story is: when we got to the top, 11,000 ft, we parked the car, and there were about 5 steps from the parking lot to some sort of visitor center. We were completely out of breath at the top of the 5 steps (due to the altitude). We laughed our butts off.
Mentioning this remineded me of the time I took one of the ride your bike down the mountain. It was set up so you arrived at the top at sunrise. The bikes were 20 inch wheels with internal drum brakes to handle the downhill. As I recall in 20 miles you might have to pedal about 300 yards. The group was preceeded and followed by chase vehicles (used to haul you and the bikes to the top of the mountain).

Speaking of Hawaii on the big island there is the saddle road which some rental car companies do not exclude about 100 miles with no services. You get more close up views of Mauna Key and Mauna Loa.

I-15 mt

Interstate 15 between Spencer, Idaho and just before the junction with I-90. We have driven this about 30 times in the past 20 years and it never gets old. Awesome in every season though not such a relaxing drive sometimes in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom